Sign in to follow this  
moldy_hobo

MAGIC HAVE OFFICIALLY SIGNED BRANDON BASS - APOLOGIES DUE TO THE HOBO

quote:
Originally posted by VaBchMagicFan:

We would still have to take back a contract. Right? so we still take on money we don't need to spend. Who will we trade him for? If we get Barnes and Ratliff. Ra is already going to not be getting much minutes.

Is it your money that's being spent? If the Magic ownership is willing to pay Gortat 5.9m now for the chance to get a different piece worth 5.9m later, why would that affect you at all?

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

OK, well, TheBozoTy just checked his e-mail and saw that at 12:15, there was an e-mail saying we just signed Bass. Oops.

However, the more interesting portion, apart from the Barnes news posted in the "Rest of the MLE" thread, is that my source has heard Otis STILL might match Gortat, and that Gortat's agent fully expects him to.

Bringing in Gorat makes no sense now. Bass and RA are both better PF's than Gortat. So now you are back to paying a guy 6 mil a year to play 10 minutes a game. Makes no sense and will not happen. By pursuing Barnes it tells me that Bass will not start. Barnes is being brought in to take the starting job or tkae the 6th man role and have MP start. Other wise Bass would start with RA as his backup and Shard would have MP as his backup. When would Barnes play? Bass off the bench can backup Dwight or Shard depending on the matchup.

He would be a VERY valuable trade asset that won't count against the lux tax if moved before the trade deadline.

We would still have to take back a contract. Right? so we still take on money we don't need to spend. Who will we trade him for? If we get Barnes and Ratliff. Ra is already going to not be getting much minutes.

If a team is under the cap or has a TE, we would not have to take back a contract. Enough ways around it and for all we know Devos might be willing to pay the tax to keep our bench depth for a title run.

quote:

OK, well, TheBozoTy just checked his e-mail and saw that at 12:15, there was an e-mail saying we just signed Bass. Oops.

However, the more interesting portion, apart from the Barnes news posted in the "Rest of the MLE" thread, is that my source has heard Otis STILL might match Gortat, and that Gortat's agent fully expects him to.

Is this the same source that was telling you that we were going to sign Bass last week. Just wondering.

I'll admit to being surprised if we match Gortat.

If they do, I don't ever want to see a post by anyone ever again accusing DeVos of being cheap. That label is already unfair, and this would put the final nail in that coffin.

This is great news. I've been pining for this guy all year. He will make us tougher either in the starting lineup, or potentially paired with Anderson off the bench.

But we really have addressed some key needs with two young and versatile bigs.

Great signing.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:

Exactly. Gortat and his agent have been told we'd use him for half a season, then most likely relocate him to a better situation where he'll have more opportunity. He is too big of a trade asset to give up for nothing.

As for Barnes, Otis said Bass will compete with Shard to start. If they can play together, Bass will start at the 4. Barnes and Pietrus will back up the 2 and the 3.

What about J.J. Redick???

So Barnes will back up Redick and Pietrus will back up Carter that is also being reported. If we get Barnes, because there are a couple of teams just getting into the Barnes race, but the Magic did talk to him first.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

Is it your money that's being spent? If the Magic ownership is willing to pay Gortat 5.9m now for the chance to get a different piece worth 5.9m later, why would that affect you at all?

Can you imagine Houston growing so needy for a quality center that they throw in one of their exceptionally talented, defensive minded SF's?

It's a dream that keeps me warm at night.

Yes PEC, same guy, and it wasn't last week, was it? Maybe it was, who knows.

Apparently he just got his wires crossed, and had heard that Bass was intent on signing (he has been since we contacted him) and just assumed that meant it was done. Honest mistake on his part, which he has apologized to me for. And I extend that apology as well.

Nonetheless, as has been said for a while now, Bass is a Magician. Barnes most likely will be, too.

And BJ, I don't have any inside info regarding JJ, just that a Barnes signing would likely push him out of the rotation, unless he gets time at PG, which is possible.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:

quote:

Can you imagine Houston growing so needy for a quality center that they throw in one of their exceptionally talented, defensive minded SF's?

Actually, I want no part of Ariza at this point.

As stated multiple times though, if a set of trades centered on "Marcin Gortat for Shane Battier" were to happen, I'd personally be willing to drive Marcin to Houston, and then drive Shane back to Orlando.

And I live in Maryland.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:

quote:

Actually, I want no part of Ariza at this point.

As stated multiple times though, if a set of trades centered on "Marcin Gortat for Shane Battier" were to happen, I'd personally be willing to drive Marcin to Houston, and then drive Shane back to Orlando.

And I live in Maryland.

Hopefully they make that deal when the Magic are in town against the Wizards. Sure would save you a lot of time and gas expense.