Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Magic Reporting

I want to start a discussion about the Magic on the topic of reporting. What reporters or sites do you like and why? What reporters do you not like and why? Who seems to be the most credible? Professional? Etc?

Let me start ...

Denton - Solid/Great. Professional, well written, balanced, and respectful to the organization and fans. Wish he reported more.

Kyler - Mixed/Dislike. It's obvious he works hard and sometimes provides new info. However, his reporting often confuses facts and his opinion. In addition, he has a habit when expressing his opinion of disrespecting players, fans, and the Magic organization, or making strong statements that are ignorant/uncertain (i.e. signing Gortat to ME would be "huge mistake," VC and Sheed are "toxic," Dwight would leave w/ Sheed signing, etc). Even his style at times comes across childish. I don't get it.

Schmitz - Okay. Provides decent, consistent coverage, yet seems to be on the odds at times with Otis ... unlike Denton.

Povtak - Solid. Why was he let go at the Sentinel???

Bianchi - Entertaining. He writes controversial editorials to rouse the boring.

Hightower - TBD.

LOD - Fun and insightful. Nice to have a Board member in the mix.

Puns - Fun and insightful. I often forget about these guys, but I've enjoyed what I've read.

ESPN - Like Stein, Thorpe, and Hollinger. The rest ... ugh.

TV - Like JVG, M. Jackson, D. Collins, and our guys. The rest ... ugh.

I want to start a discussion about the Magic on the topic of reporting. What reporters or sites do you like and why? What reporters do you not like and why? Who seems to be the most credible? Professional? Etc?

Let me start ...

Denton - Solid/Great. Professional, well written, balanced, and respectful to the organization and fans. Wish he reported more.

Kyler - Mixed/Dislike. It's obvious he works hard and sometimes provides new info. However, his reporting often confuses facts and his opinion. In addition, he has a habit when expressing his opinion of disrespecting players, fans, and the Magic organization, or making strong statements that are ignorant/uncertain (i.e. signing Gortat to ME would be "huge mistake," VC and Sheed are "toxic," Dwight would leave w/ Sheed signing, etc). Even his style at times comes across childish. I don't get it.

Schmitz - Okay. Provides decent, consistent coverage, yet seems to be on the odds at times with Otis ... unlike Denton.

Hightower - TBD.

Puns - Fun and insightful. I often forget about these guys, but I've enjoyed what I've read.

I will never understand why the Sentinel kept Schmitz and let Povtak go. How sad is it that the local paper doesn't have a relationship with the only local team?

If you rate them Kyler is the worst followed by Schmidtz. Denton and the guy that writes down in Lakeland always are good reads.

I dispise Kyler for many reasons. Mainly because he writes so much crap that he pulls straight out of his butt. Second because he wants to be a respected journalist but will use words like pissed to describe something. Completely unprofessional in my opinion.

If anyone wants to know how Kyler got started I can tell you. He was laughed of an internet fan forum then started Hoopsworld. he is a long time Magic fan that thinks he knows everything in the worls about the Magic. It is why a lot of what you read on Hoopsworld is Magic related. He would troll fan forums and put fan rumors and speculation on his website as "inside information". One fan forum figured this out and played a huge hoax on him way back when Ron Mercer was a talented and wanted player.

He continues to do the same thing and never gets any of his so called inside information correct.

Whereas people like Denton just report the facts instead of an editorial of what they think. Much better to read a responsible journalist than one that likes to create the news.

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

Denton has proven to be the best source of Magic news, IMO.

Agree. I think he has found that fine line between respecting the Magic and reporting truth.

1) I would say Denton is definitely the best of the bunch.

2)Povtak would be closer if he covered the Magic more.

3) I really don't care for Kyler most of the time.

4) Schmitz is obnoxious.

5) Bianchi looks to stir up controversy where there is none.

I'm not sure LOD and the Puns guys would consider themselves reporters. I do enjoy their stuff and for the most part they don't let their obvious bias affect their blogs.

You mentioned the ESPN guys that I like. There are others, like Jay Bilas, that I like as well but they don't cover the Magic.

What about Chad Ford...remember him???

The guy that had Otis's face on the front of his ESPN website with a duncecap on his head for an entire weekend after he gave Rashard Lewis that enormous contract...

My favorite and the best...John Denton...not only the best writer but the one reporter Otis and Stan will share info w/ off the record...because they trust him to not print everything they say...

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

Let me start ...

Hightower - TBD.

Great post Soul Bro!

Denton is the better of the group, because he reports the news in lieu of creating it! The OS and espn are by far the worst, in terms of honest reporting of Orlandos one and only Franchise!!

It is not difficult for me to say how little regard I have always held for the OS as a whole. 21 years of living in Orlando and the general area, I held out hope for them but,they never wavered so...it is what it is!!!! I had the good fortune to meet a few of these writers, and Povtak was the only decent one of the group, so I take it that is why he was released!

The rest of the field with the exception of Kyler getting a little crazy I do lend varying degrees of cred! With the exception of JVG, knowledgable but .....border line crazy with his extreme positions I find anyone but the OS either acceptable or respectable!!!!

Kyler prints the most about the Magic, but in doing so, prints a lot of poor reporting.

Schmitz is simply inept. He rarely posts articles, even more rarely posts anything worthwhile.

The Sentinel desperately needs someone that the organization trusts.

Basically, Orlando is an awful sports market in terms of media. Are there even any local sports radio shows? Last I was there, it all national stuff.

I have had some big sources inside the Orlando Magic media and Organization, and what I found out is that they are basically puppets and can only report good things, and not how they really feel. I was bothered by this because a True sports reporter should write how they feel. This also extends to the Local Newspapers / Radio Stations who want to remain on the good side with the Magic, so the Magic don't shrug a shoulder at them. So I basically lost respect for every one involved in this, I can understand people in the Organization, but the Media I say to them grow a pair. I would rather read this Forum then their Garbage. Anyways News Papers will be going under anyways, Keep posting Magic Fans!!!

The only good thing I can say is that the Mods on this message board are fair, and let every one post their ideas, good or bad.

the best source for magic information by far is...orlandomagiczone.com

i dont care who or where they get the info from....but when "I" get it...its from here