Sign in to follow this  
Smoothhands

All The Magics Problems Solved In One Post

I have been reading all the post on off season moves, some ideas good and some not so good. I have read all the info I could find about the various situations going on with the Magic this off season. I figured it was time to put all of it together and fix all the problems in one post. So here is how I think we should proceed. As you read please remember two things, one the idea this off season is to improve the team and two these are just my opinions so lets not take this to seriously. However I'm always up for a good debate.

#1.Hire a new coach.

My first choice is Marc Iavaroni Asst of the Phoenix Suns. That style of play offensively and defensively at the very least is fun to watch. One of Iavaroni's jobs with Phoenix is big man development. Could you imagine Dwight and Darko playing with the skills Amare has developed. Second choice is Rick Adelman the offense he ran in Sacramento was a thing of beauty even though he did not focus on the defensive end to much which I think cost them the chance to win a championship. The coach hiring solves the Dwight signing a extension issue, the Darko resigning issue and the free agent signing issue, knowing they would come into a style of play that most players enjoy.

#2.The draft.

Draft Jarvis Crittenton, if he stays in the draft we should be able to move into the late first round and have a shot at getting him. We could sign and trade Travis to Phoenix for pick #24 or we could trade Keyon to Miami for pick #20. The other possibility are Ace Law who will probably not fall far enough for us to get and Gabe Pruitt. Both are more combo guards than true point guards. We could also not have to make a trade and draft Pettri Koponen from Finland but he would probably need another year to develop over seas before coming to the NBA. But Crittenton is the guy we really want he can do it all.

#3. Free Agency/Trades.

#3a First resign Darko 5 years 9 Million per. This is fair market value and will not hut our cap space that much because he was already on the books to make 7.8 million next year. Then extend Dwight to a max deal. These deals need to be in place so other free agents know who they are going to be playing with

OK HERE IS WHERE THE OPINIONS WILL START TO REALLY DEFFER. HERE WE GO

#3b. Sign Gerald Wallace. 5 years 10 million per. a contract similar to Josh Howard. This guy is the ultimate glue guy a lot like Scottie Pippen was or Stephan Jackson is for Golden State. He fills up the box score across the board. Defends the other teams best guy at the 2, 3 and even small 4's like Chris Bosh. Guys like that killed us last year.

#3c. Sign and trade Turk for Mo Williams 4 years 6 million per. Milwaukee needs a shooter along side Micheal Redd. A lot of people say Mo is just like Jameer and they are right. Except the Mo is better than Jameer in every way. Better passer, better playmaker, better defender, better scorer and he already plays 2 guard spot sometimes, oh yeah he's a few inches taller. He has put up awesome numbers this year, very similar to Chaunce Billups who everyone likes. He has one more year of experience in the league than Jameer and he is actually younger.

#3d. Trade Jameer, Keith and a Second round pic or Jameer and Garrity to Denver for J.R. Smith and Eduardo Najera. Denver gets a third ball handling guard they only have two and you have to have a third with A.I. on your team cause he is gets injured he plays to many minutes at his age over the course of a 82 game season. They get Garrity who they can buy out to same Cap space and Bogans a good defender and spot up shooter. For us in J.R. we get a guy that could be as good as Micheal Redd or Joe Johnson. With the right coach and offense he could get there. We also get a versatile big man for our fourth big on the roster.

That leaves up with a line up of

Mo Williams/Carlos Arroyo/Javaris Crittenton

J.R. Smith/J.J Redick

Gerald Wallace/Trevor Ariza

Darko/Eduardo Najera

Dwight/Battie

This team can play defend any team in the league in order to get out and run you have to create turnovers. This team is young and will be able to grow together. Just about everyone on the team can shoot. You have players that a coach can use to make adjustments. Over all this team is a lot better that last years, it is more ready to go to a up tempo style of offense and full of players that can complement each other.

#5. The Arena Deal.

These proactive moves by the organization should help the people understand the the Magic are serious about trying to build a championship team. I also kept most of the fans favorite players on the team. Showing a effort to put together a team that fans want to see, will be fun to watch and contend for a title for the next 10 years, should help the arena deal get done.

I have been reading all the post on off season moves, some ideas good and some not so good. I have read all the info I could find about the various situations going on with the Magic this off season. I figured it was time to put all of it together and fix all the problems in one post. So here is how I think we should proceed. As you read please remember two things, one the idea this off season is to improve the team and two these are just my opinions so lets not take this to seriously. However I'm always up for a good debate.

#1.Hire a new coach.

My first choice is Marc Iavaroni Asst of the Phoenix Suns. That style of play offensively and defensively at the very least is fun to watch. One of Iavaroni's jobs with Phoenix is big man development. Could you imagine Dwight and Darko playing with the skills Amare has developed. Second choice is Rick Adelman the offense he ran in Sacramento was a thing of beauty even though he did not focus on the defensive end to much which I think cost them the chance to win a championship. The coach hiring solves the Dwight signing a extension issue, the Darko resigning issue and the free agent signing issue, knowing they would come into a style of play that most players enjoy.

#2.The draft.

Draft Jarvis Crittenton, if he stays in the draft we should be able to move into the late first round and have a shot at getting him. We could sign and trade Travis to Phoenix for pick #24 or we could trade Keyon to Miami for pick #20. The other possibility are Ace Law who will probably not fall far enough for us to get and Gabe Pruitt. Both are more combo guards than true point guards. We could also not have to make a trade and draft Pettri Koponen from Finland but he would probably need another year to develop over seas before coming to the NBA. But Crittenton is the guy we really want he can do it all.

#3. Free Agency/Trades.

#3a First resign Darko 5 years 9 Million per. This is fair market value and will not hut our cap space that much because he was already on the books to make 7.8 million next year. Then extend Dwight to a max deal. These deals need to be in place so other free agents know who they are going to be playing with

OK HERE IS WHERE THE OPINIONS WILL START TO REALLY DEFFER. HERE WE GO

#3b. Sign Gerald Wallace. 5 years 10 million per. a contract similar to Josh Howard. This guy is the ultimate glue guy a lot like Scottie Pippen was or Stephan Jackson is for Golden State. He fills up the box score across the board. Defends the other teams best guy at the 2, 3 and even small 4's like Chris Bosh. Guys like that killed us last year.

#3c. Sign and trade Turk for Mo Williams 4 years 6 million per. Milwaukee needs a shooter along side Micheal Redd. A lot of people say Mo is just like Jameer and they are right. Except the Mo is better than Jameer in every way. Better passer, better playmaker, better defender, better scorer and he already plays 2 guard spot sometimes, oh yeah he's a few inches taller. He has put up awesome numbers this year, very similar to Chaunce Billups who everyone likes. He has one more year of experience in the league than Jameer and he is actually younger.

#3d. Trade Jameer, Keith and a Second round pic or Jameer and Garrity to Denver for J.R. Smith and Eduardo Najera. Denver gets a third ball handling guard they only have two and you have to have a third with A.I. on your team cause he is gets injured he plays to many minutes at his age over the course of a 82 game season. They get Garrity who they can buy out to same Cap space and Bogans a good defender and spot up shooter. For us in J.R. we get a guy that could be as good as Micheal Redd or Joe Johnson. With the right coach and offense he could get there. We also get a versatile big man for our fourth big on the roster.

That leaves up with a line up of

Mo Williams/Carlos Arroyo/Javaris Crittenton

J.R. Smith/J.J Redick

Gerald Wallace/Trevor Ariza

Darko/Eduardo Najera

Dwight/Battie

This team can play defend any team in the league in order to get out and run you have to create turnovers. This team is young and will be able to grow together. Just about everyone on the team can shoot. You have players that a coach can use to make adjustments. Over all this team is a lot better that last years, it is more ready to go to a up tempo style of offense and full of players that can complement each other.

#5. The Arena Deal.

These proactive moves by the organization should help the people understand the the Magic are serious about trying to build a championship team. I also kept most of the fans favorite players on the team. Showing a effort to put together a team that fans want to see, will be fun to watch and contend for a title for the next 10 years, should help the arena deal get done.

I agree with everything except the "Mo Williams for Turk".

Excellent post. I gave it 5 checks since people "rarely" rate posts.

quote:
Originally posted by Smoothhands:

Draft Jarvis Crittenton, if he stays in the draft we should be able to move into the late first round and have a shot at getting him.... But Crittenton is the guy we really want he can do it all.

If he can do it all, why will he still be available late in the 1st round?

If he could 'do it all', he would be a lottery pick.

i like beginning (coach, draft, darko and fa)

but i definitely don't like end, Turk for Mo Williams is absolutely unrealistic (why would Bucks do that ?) and trading Nelson for J.R. Smith and Najera would be plain stupid

Excellent post Smooth, with the exception of the Denver trade (which I think is highly unlikely) I like everything you have said.

There is no chance we could get Mo Williams from Milwaukee. I understand it would be a sign and trade, but Mo is going to sign for a lot more than 24 mil over 4 years. Milwaukee is going to have some cap space, so I don't see him going anywhere.

Also, Denver won't trade for Jameer. Everyone keeps waiting for AI to break down, but every year he plays nearly every game at 40 mins per game. Jameer could actually be a good player in an up-tempo Iavaroni offense.

I do like the rest of the post, however.

quote:
Originally posted by vic110:

Actually I would have to agree with your post. That team looks very good on paper. I would love to see it on the court.

I tried this team on the xbox 360 it works beautifully especially when i am running the ball..

Mo Williams equals Jameer Nelson. Marginal players on bad teams are often overrated because they are allowed to take more shots, ect...

I really don't see Mo Williams as an improvement over Jameer and I doubt it would make any sense to to acquire Mo Williams if you found a way to acquire Jarvis Crittenton AND believe he's the answer.

I supposse the same argument could be made against Gerald Wallace on face value, although I would disagree. Wallace has a solid all around game and a developing offensive game. He will continue to improve offensively, but could fit very comfortably in any situation. Put Mo Williams on a team with 3 or 4 scorers and you'll see his weaknesses exposed.

quote:
We could sign and trade Travis to Phoenix for pick #24 or we could trade Keyon to Miami for pick #20.

I doubt these 2 scenarios. Travis, we tried to take a 1st rounder for him, but we get nothing. Now that he is a free agent, the Suns could get him through free agency. No s&t can be before July 1.

Keyon? Miami can get Keyon for free.

Wow, you want to get rid of just about everybody, don't you?

..kidding, but not really.. Your new line-up is a little too radical for me..

I think we have a solid team to build around - there's no reason to completely dismantle this team. I think you build around Dwight and Darko, sure - but I like Hedo, Jameer (off bench), why get rid of these guys and erase the chemistry of the team? Jameer could be a very valuable player off the bench, IMO. And who knows, maybe he'll become a better ball-handler in time anyway.

I'd rather see a couple pieces added because I like our guys, I just think we need to change up our styles and rotations.