Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Poop Happens! Dwight openly questions Gundy's decisions(Denton)

quote:

Howard, Orlando's franchise player, openly questioned head coach Stan Van Gundy's refusal to get him more shots and wondered about some curious substitution patterns in Orlando's crippling 92-88 loss to the Celtics Tuesday night.

"Offensively I have to get the ball," Howard said candidly. "I don't think you are going to win a lot of games when your post player only gets 10 shots. It's tough to get yourself going and get a lot of touches without a lot of shots. We have to do a better job with that."

quote:

"I'm not going to get up here and bash or say anything about what should happen, but I will say it's tough to win when all season long you play inside-out and you trust one of the people who got you off to a good season," Howard said. "I think I'm capable of scoring in the post, but I don't think 10 shots is enough. "You've got a dominant player, let him be dominant."

quote:

That plan of attack worked most of the game as the Magic grabbed the lead in the first period and led by double digits most of the game. But Howard feels the Magic missed a major opportunity to break the game open in the second half because of some of Van Gundy's substitutions. Howard picked up his second and third fouls 24 seconds apart early in the third period. And when the three-time All-Star center was whistled for a defensive three-seconds call, Howard was benched for the final 7:18 of the third quarter. "Our coach has to recognize that when he has a certain group out there and they are getting the job done we have to leave those guys on the floor," said Howard, who had 17 rebounds and converted two of his offensive boards into baskets. "We're going to make mistakes, but I think you have to go with what works."

Remarkably, even as Lewis, Turkoglu and Alston were missing shots down the stretch, the Magic never went inside to their 6-foot-11, 268-pound center.

And I got one more question for Stan, how the heck does Courtney Lee only get 11 minutes??? I didn't get to see the game...maybe some of you could fill me in.

I know I don't have to tell you guys in the history of the NBA when "SuperStar" players start questioning their coaches in public to the media what usually happens...you can't fire the players.

I fear for Stan if we don't come back to win this series...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/...ews/story?id=4162728

quote:

Howard, Orlando's franchise player, openly questioned head coach Stan Van Gundy's refusal to get him more shots and wondered about some curious substitution patterns in Orlando's crippling 92-88 loss to the Celtics Tuesday night.

"Offensively I have to get the ball," Howard said candidly. "I don't think you are going to win a lot of games when your post player only gets 10 shots. It's tough to get yourself going and get a lot of touches without a lot of shots. We have to do a better job with that."

quote:

"I'm not going to get up here and bash or say anything about what should happen, but I will say it's tough to win when all season long you play inside-out and you trust one of the people who got you off to a good season," Howard said. "I think I'm capable of scoring in the post, but I don't think 10 shots is enough. "You've got a dominant player, let him be dominant."

quote:

That plan of attack worked most of the game as the Magic grabbed the lead in the first period and led by double digits most of the game. But Howard feels the Magic missed a major opportunity to break the game open in the second half because of some of Van Gundy's substitutions. Howard picked up his second and third fouls 24 seconds apart early in the third period. And when the three-time All-Star center was whistled for a defensive three-seconds call, Howard was benched for the final 7:18 of the third quarter. "Our coach has to recognize that when he has a certain group out there and they are getting the job done we have to leave those guys on the floor," said Howard, who had 17 rebounds and converted two of his offensive boards into baskets. "We're going to make mistakes, but I think you have to go with what works."

Remarkably, even as Lewis, Turkoglu and Alston were missing shots down the stretch, the Magic never went inside to their 6-foot-11, 268-pound center.

And I got one more question for Stan, how the heck does Courtney Lee only get 11 minutes??? I didn't get to see the game...maybe some of you could fill me in.

I know I don't have to tell you guys in the history of the NBA when "SuperStar" players start questioning their coaches in public to the media what usually happens...you can't fire the players.

I fear for Stan if we don't come back to win this series...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/...ews/story?id=4162728

Why fear for Stan. You should cheer for Stan to get canned as he coaches these incredible collapses. Courtney Lee only 11 minutes and never seeing Gortat and Howard on the floor together should be reason enough to fire Stan.

quote:
Originally posted by fan for too long:

Why fear for Stan. You should cheer for Stan to get canned as he coaches these incredible collapses. Courtney Lee only 11 minutes and never seeing Gortat and Howard on the floor together should be reason enough to fire Stan.

You're a fool. Yes, I openly stated that. If you truly believe that, you deserve to have that label.

Stan goofed up bad last night. Starting J.J., not giving minutes to Courtney, taking out hot units, not coming up with a better offensive scheme in the final minutes, etc. But for people to call for him to be fired is insane.

Consider what this man works with everynight. Do you think half the coaches in the league could take a team to 59 wins with Tony Battie, Jeremy Richardson, Adonal Foyle, etc. sitting on the bench, and Rafer Alston replacing Jameer Nelson who wasn't an All-Star before this season?

Or how about having a SF play the 4? Or a superstar center who still doesn't have much of an offensive set and is a horrible FT shooter on any given night. Or a inconsistent and sometimes downright awful SF who chucks up horrible shots. Or never having a legit scoring SG to use to take over games?

This man deserves our support through the good times and the bad. He IS the best coach the Magic have ever had here. Give it a rest. He makes mistakes. He's human. He may cost us this series. But in no way shape or form does he deserve to be fired after this season. The good outweighs the bad.

DWIGHT HAD 4PTS AND 3REB IN THE SECOND HALF DUE TO POUTING ABOUT NOT GETTING TOUCHES WHILE HE WAS IN THE GAME.

Man up and quit acting like a little girl when you don't get touches Dwight, otherwise we'll have two players in the NBA sharing the nickname Big Baby.

Dwight's defensive game was non existent in the 4th. That is for sure. I'm not blaming him for the loss, but complaining DURING the game and losing focus certainly didn't help us try to achieve a win.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

Dwight's defensive game was non existent in the 4th. That is for sure. I'm not blaming him for the loss, but complaining DURING the game and losing focus certainly didn't help us try to achieve a win.

I havn't posted since the loss last night, just couldnt quite put into words my dissappoint not even sure thats the right word. But I agree with both assesments of Dwight, he continues to show no energy for defense or pouts? when he feels he's not getting what he wants? This is extemely disturbing behaivor for someone of his supposed character. I dont think one person is to blame, theres enough bad decisions made to go around.

Cant help thinking we finish these games with Jameer in there. He really helped Dwight on and off the court I believe. This sucks.

He was very critical of Stan that is for sure but he kind of owned up on his end as well. He said something like he knows he has to keep focus on the defensive end of the floor but last night he simply let Perk, the refs, and the touches take him out of the game. He simply was not there mentally and it has a trickle down effect as he got less and less effective as the game wore down.

I will reiterate that he is a young guy and a superstar. It is hard for the best player on any team to not see the ball in the last 5 minutes of a game where your you have 3 touches (not shots but touches) and one of them is on an inbounds play because the team forgot the play.

I do not think Stan loses his job over this it would be an incredible knee jerk reaction but he needs to rexamine himself and his rotations if he is going to continue to earn the respect of the players which is something without Jameer I fear is slipping away.

My observation all year was that when Dwight focuses on offense (any immature young player thinks about scoring before defense), he forgets to play defense. Especially when he doesn't get the foul calls. I have said it numerous times on these boards, but the self-proclaimed gurus/experts kept bashing me.

It's just human psychology. Dwight is not really mature yet, and the only reason he won the DPOY this year is SVG trying to focus and push him on defense.

Another thing that tells me he is 23 is that he is talking about finding a wrestling(??) name in the middle of important playoff games, and then whispering his wrestling name during postgame conference.

Dwight, we would love you to become the team leader, but you are not there yet. You are a great defensive player now, but you bring it every other game, when you feel like it. That's what the team needs from you, bring it every game.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

DWIGHT HAD 4PTS AND 3REB IN THE SECOND HALF DUE TO POUTING ABOUT NOT GETTING TOUCHES WHILE HE WAS IN THE GAME.

Man up and quit acting like a little girl when you don't get touches Dwight, otherwise we'll have two players in the NBA sharing the nickname Big Baby.

This is the thread ender. Agree 100%

quote:
Originally posted by richnba:

I say let Dwight be "dominant", give him 40-50 touches in game 6 and lets see how he does.

ahh, the Kobe Bryant-reverse-psychology affect. I see.