Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Would you trade J.J. for Grant Hill? Schmitz says Hill wants to return(Sentinel)

The first five words of Bianchi's writing is the greatest example of a Freudian slip I have ever seen:

quote:
Magic beat writer Brian Hill...

We always knew that Schmitz worshipped the ground that Napoleon walked on, but Identify Theft?

My day has been made....

Ok, assuming the guy's ankle isn't still screwed up (no pun intended), what is to say that he will be happy coming off the bench, what is to say that he doesn't cause other players to regress? I know I'm risking sounding like I'm worried about messing up chemistry but why are we concerned about improving at SF when we need to improve at PF?

I did some playing around with Grants numbers for the year-

As of 12-15 PHX has played 25 games. Grant has started in 11 of those, in the 14 games off the bench he has played right around 20 mins a game. In those games he averaged 6.4 pts per game with a high of 15, 3.4 brds, 1.2 assists, shooting 46% from the field. PHX's record over those 14 games is 7 and 7 with wins over MIN, OKC, POR x2, MEM, NJ, SAS, losses to DAL, NJ, MIA, LAL, UTH, HOU, NOR

In the 11 starts he played right around 33 mins. In those games he avg'd 13pts with a high of 23, 5.9 brds, 2.5 assists, shooting 51.8% from the field. PHX's record is 8-3 with wins over NY, ORL, MIL, UTH, DET, SAC, MIL, IND, losses LAL, NOR, CHI

Before someone goes and rips me apart I'm going to put this disclaimer out there, I know this doesn't prove anything but it is interesting to look at. Win % is better when he starts with 54% of the games being against quality opponents (teams currently in the playoff hunt) vs 7-7 with 64% of the games against quality opponents. Yes, they did play a few more games against better opponents but, they were 3-9 vs those teams when he's coming off the bench against 3-3 when he starts.

My point in all of this (besides keeping myself from getting bored this morning) is that he isn't as helpful coming off the bench. Does he complain? Does he not mesh well with the 2nd team? Is he pouting because he wants to start? Is it something in his head? Who knows, it could all just be a coincedance, but we do know that the guy wants to play bigger mins. Another thing to think about, where are those mins coming from? Are we going to take from Courtney and stunt his growth? Are we going to take from Bogans and have 1 less shooter on the floor? Cut into Shard or Turk's mins? All of that has an impact, it's not as simple as his numbers being better than JJ's.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

The first five words of Bianchi's writing is the greatest example of a Freudian slip I have ever seen:

quote:
Magic beat writer Brian Hill...

We always knew that Schmitz worshipped the ground that Napoleon walked on, but Identify Theft?

My day has been made....

LOL

JJ was given a significant opportunity to log starting minutes and he fell flat on his face. The mere fact that we can remove JJ's salary from our payroll in exchange for anything of value would be a tremendous coup. The fact that we would be getting a vet with know how to come off the bench and solidify our 2nd unit while giving us insurance for the Hedo negotiations is further justification that a brain-dead chimp could recognize the overwhelming value in this deal.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

My point in all of this (besides keeping myself from getting bored this morning) is that he isn't as helpful coming off the bench. Does he complain? Does he not mesh well with the 2nd team? Is he pouting because he wants to start? Is it something in his head? Who knows, it could all just be a coincedance, but we do know that the guy wants to play bigger mins. Another thing to think about, where are those mins coming from? Are we going to take from Courtney and stunt his growth? Are we going to take from Bogans and have 1 less shooter on the floor? Cut into Shard or Turk's mins? All of that has an impact, it's not as simple as his numbers being better than JJ's.

I would think that a JJ for Grant deal would signal two things: 1) that CLee is going to be trusted with the backup spot when Pietrus is back, and 2) that Bogans may also be dealt along with Cook/1st/TE to nab a PF.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:

I would think that a JJ for Grant deal would signal two things: 1) that CLee is going to be trusted with the backup spot when Pietrus is back, and 2) that Bogans may also be dealt along with Cook/1st/TE to nab a PF.

That almost seems to ideal to enter the thought process of Otis but maybe he will surprise all of us.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:

I've been thinkin' that too, Smack...although I like Bogans(understatement), put me on board with your post...I also left a message with Denton this morning...told him we were interested in his thoughts on this situation and would anticipate some kind of news in the near future from his site.

Smack, do you really expect two trades when we are winning with our current roster? I don't.

Man, if the Magic are still high on Grant, shame on them. His signing was the worst mistake this franchise ever made.

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

Smack, do you really expect two trades when we are winning with our current roster? I don't.

Man, if the Magic are still high on Grant, shame on them. His signing was the worst mistake this franchise ever made.

W/a starter who has already missed significant time & a rookie backup, I would be very surprised if both of these guys were traded. Insurance.

Not saying I wouldn't, but Otis overly cautious.