Sign in to follow this  
jack l j

what about ariza

yep. I used to defend this move - but we took a L there. And the boy can even shoot now. His defense is getting praise all around the league.

meanwhile, we have no bench.

It's nice that he's 6/11 for 3 so far this season and everything, but I'm a little hesistant to say that's going to hold up, particularly when his FT shooting is almost as bad as Dwight's.

It was a bad trade in terms of value either way, but I'm not going to start calling Trevor Ariza a sharpshooter until at least 20-25 games into the season.

It is not a coincidence that players get better away from Orlando than when they are here. We do not develop bench players or give them consistent PT, so it is no surprise that the ones with any talent flourish elsewhere.

quote:
Originally posted by hilltopper06:

It is not a coincidence that players get better away from Orlando than when they are here. We do not develop bench players or give them consistent PT, so it is no surprise that the ones with any talent flourish elsewhere.

I'm often amazed at how consistently successful teams like the Pistons can find time on the floor to develop players like Stuckey, Maxiell, etc., yet the consistently unsuccessful franchises like our Magic, whose top 6-7 players are generally no better than those others, still cannot find it in themselves to give young players a chance to develop.

What astounds me is that we are not talking about having the same GMs and coaches around, as they have changed multiple times. Yet the organization continues to follow the same pattern.

Does this mean that the ownership of the Magic is more involved in basketball decisions than we are led to believe?

Or is it that they continue to hire folks that line up perfectly with their philosophies, thus only changing the faces of the franchise as opposed to its methodologies?

I, too, am happy for Trevor, and hope he develops into the player that his biggest fans here suggested that he could become. I don't want him to fail just to justify the actions of the Magic organization.

well, in terms of what it did for Orlando last season, I cant say that I would blame the team for making the trade. Evans was a major boost for us. Cook contributed with his "money maker" here and there, and really helped with that multi-pronged offense we were so dangerous with...Ariza was injured the season before, and injured last season as well, he has that suspect foot etc. etc.

but now, he's playing excellent and getting great compliments from Phil Jackson...it really sucks...kid has pulled a total 180 on his offensive game, and as if his defense wasnt good enough, he has stepped that up as well...

really sucks, because I loved Ariza...I thought we would have a nice young core with him here...oh well...that's how it goes...wanna be an MVP candidate? get yourself traded from Orlando...

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

I'm often amazed at how consistently successful teams like the Pistons can find time on the floor to develop players like Stuckey, Maxiell, etc., yet the consistently unsuccessful franchises like our Magic, whose top 6-7 players are generally no better than those others, still cannot find it in themselves to give young players a chance to develop.

What astounds me is that we are not talking about having the same GMs and coaches around, as they have changed multiple times. Yet the organization continues to follow the same pattern.

Does this mean that the ownership of the Magic is more involved in basketball decisions than we are led to believe?

Or is it that they continue to hire folks that line up perfectly with their philosophies, thus only changing the faces of the franchise as opposed to its methodologies?

I, too, am happy for Trevor, and hope he develops into the player that his biggest fans here suggested that he could become. I don't want him to fail just to justify the actions of the Magic organization.

I would love to see a stop on Ariza talks one day... Trevor would have never resigned with us anyway (and our management wouldn't go over the luxury tax for a player like him)

RESULT: we would have lost him anyway, so I'm happy for him to succeed and be at home.

At least we have used Evans and Cook last year (and Trevor was injured on all this stretch)

Outside Ariza, your point is really interesting and it matches with what's happening right now.

We have serious bench problems but no intention at all to give them confidence and PT.

Our bench is not the best of NBA by any means, but I believe that is not so bad as it seems right now.

The only exception is maybe CLee, that is finding some minutes, but not on a regular basis.

Is this a SVG problem?

Or is the ownership always pushing for the W and ignoring the devolpment of young guys?

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

I have long held the belief that the Magic troubles are upper level management/ownership.

You can add Ariza to the list with Billups, Ben Wallace, Gooden, and Varejao. This are players we had, who went on to have better career when they left the Magic.

quote:
Originally posted by truth393:

You can add Ariza to the list with Billups, Ben Wallace, Gooden, and Varejao. This are players we had, who went on to have better career when they left the Magic.

Using Varejao and Billups in this example is a little silly since neither actually played a game with the team.