Sign in to follow this  
Drain-O

Game Thread*November 12*Orlando Magic at OKCT*8PM

Magic looking forward to road trip.

Coach Stan Van Gundy's focus is solely on fixing technical deficiencies right now.

"Whether we play home or away, we just need to play the game," Van Gundy said. "We need to play better and for longer periods of time. The effort our guys are putting out is good, but when we start going bad we just can't have it continue like it did [against Portland].

"Just one forced play after another instead of just moving the ball. . . . We just got to change our mind-set. I don't care where we're playing."

Nelson said that one thing he thinks everyone on the team can do is to "put each other in better situations," which he said he was taking personally on his own shoulders from the point.

Full article:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-magic1208nov12,0,4318359.story

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

TITY stole my "thunder" (HA! Ya like that!?) with his Magic Killer though. *sigh* I'll point it out again anyway.

Magic Killer Alert: Brian Westbrook.

*walks away dejected and disappointed*

You should be disappointed. Since when did the Thunder have the authority to kidnap an NFL player?

By the way, that reference was weeeeaaaak.

quote:
Originally posted by Drain-O:

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

Magic Killer Alert: Brian Westbrook.

*walks away dejected and disappointed*

Brian Westbrook is a heck of a runner but I do not know how how dribbles the ball or how his jump shot looks. Now Russell Westbrook is another story.

Alright cut me some slack, it was 2 AM when I posted and I was delirious with a head cold. Not to mention I had fantasy football waiver wires on the brain.

Yes, that Russell... guy was what I was going for.

And TITY, the weakness of the reference was the joke I'll have you know.

I am stunned by how well Pietrus has come in and molded into our offense.

Oh, and someone said if Lee figures out his shot, he could be our spark off the bench? Shoot, if he figures out his shot, he could be our starter!

I guess I am just not used to having real SG's.

For the whole game: Wooooow.

To break it down somewhat more specifically:

Stock Up:

Dwight Howard. (Can't start anywhere else. 30 points including 3 bank jumpers. 19 rebounds. 10 blocks. 3 assists. 1 turnover. Who cares about FT shooting at that point? The first triple double with blocks since 1996 by Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon. How do you analyze that? OKC had no one who could come close to handling him defensively, and they ignorantly kept putting up weak shots around the rim. Thanks for coming, Thundercats.)

Turnovers. (Eight~! A new season low.)

Jameer Nelson. (17 points on 7 of 12 shooting including three 3s after an incredible first quarter, either 9 or 10 boards, 4 assists, and only one turnover. The only negative thing I could say is you'd like to see that first quarter/first half aggressiveness on the offensive end over the course of the whole game.)

Opponent's 3 Point Shooting. (3 of 11 shooting from 3 Land for 27% for the Thunder. The Thunder aren't a great shooting team anyway, but that's more like it.)

Mickael Pietrus. (How about this... NO fouls. Yeah I know, I don't believe it either. 17 points again with 2 3s in there, with a block, and five rebounds which is nice. He's been a bit low in that regard.)

Courtney Lee. (The REAL Subway Sub of the Game. Okay, I'm now officially a believer. He made a couple of shots including a tough pull up jumper, played unreal individual defense, and had 3 steals. One of those steals with incredible sneaky craftiness by not going for it right away so the passer couldn't see him go for the passing lane, and another by just breakneck hustle.

Forget Redick, forget Bogans, "CL Smooth" needs to backup Pietrus at the 2. STAT!)

Rashard Lewis. (In the immortal words of Monty Python, "It's getting bett-ah!" 6 of 15 shooting for Rashard to get him back to 13 points, 3 boards, a steal, and a block. Not up to his standards quite yet but definitely better than the other night against the Blazers.)

Anthony Johnson. (3 assists against no turnovers, 2 steals, and of course the dunk of the year, quite clearly!)

Tony Battie. (4 points and 7 rebounds, but he had a little fumblitis. Work on those hands, sir.)

Marcin Gortat. (Get it OUT! 3 blocks, 2 boards, and a steal. Thunder is ineffective against a Warlock, don't you know that??)

Stan Van Gundy. (Good job saying you wanted Dwight to get 20 boards like the rest of magic Nation, good job on putting Lee and Pietrus on the floor in the 4th quarter (and together in the 2nd quarter), and more than anything else, great job working the players hard in practice on the right things such as ball movement. Now next practice, work on defensive rotations before we play a team as good as Portland again.)

New York Knicks. (132 points!? Dude.)

Boston Celtics. (Why thank you for beating those stupid Hawks.)

Stock In The Middle:

Hedo Turkoglu. (3 of 13 shooting is never good. However, 9 of 9 from the FT line, a steal, a block, and especially 7 assists is always a good thing. If anything he over passed tonight... if he would just find a good balance between pass and shot instead of putting his head down and making his mind up either way....)

Stock Down:

3 Point Shooting. (7 of 22 isn't so good. We took good shots except for the 3rd quarter when we fell into bad habits again. SVG should outlaw 3 point attempts once we're up 25 points or more in a game. Sounds silly, but we'd hold more leads!)

Russell Westbrook. (3 of 19? You know your team is bad that you were allowed to be out there to deliver 16 bricks. Dude.. it's your birthday, don't try so hard. Pass the ball.)

That's it, another wild swing in the other direction, this time up. Hopefully we can break the string against Dallas. Contain Dirk and make Terry take tough shots, we'll be just fine. High chance of a 3-0 road trip so let's do it!

From a very pleased Jeff Green/Chris Paul/Dwight Howard fantasy owner, until Friday night....

Good night and good luck.

quote:
Oklahoma City forward Kevin Durant's availability for tonight's game against Orlando will not be known until just before the game, according to a report by The Oklahoman.

Durant originally sprained his ankle during a practice late in the preseason but landed awkwardly in Monday

Their best player being out made a differece but Orlando has too much talent OKC had no chance even with Durant

What many don't realize is the Magic are one of the most talented teams in the NBA

An offensive lineup of:

Howard

Turk

Lewis

Nelson

Pietrus

Redick, not used properly unfortunately

all scoring machines.

Bogans can have good offensive games too

Defensively you got:

Howard

Pietrus

Lee --> this kid is gonna be something

Battie is underrated defenders

Foyle another underrated defender

Bogans is underrated in the NBA though too overrated by Stan

Gortat show signs of being a good defender but he's unfortunately rarely given the chance to get consistent PT to show it

I almost thought we were playing the Hornets..... Anyway, can't help but think this should be a win. Last year, I called wins but as for this one, can't be sure.