Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Bogans back ahead of J.J.? Otis is scanning other teams rosters(Denton)

First off, I am biased towards the two Kentucky players...Lee and Bogans...so I'll admit that straight off the bat...at the same time...I think I can seperate my emotions from this post...I played competitive hoops my whole life(through college) and have done quite a bit of smaller level coaching so I am well aware of how your emotions can effect your decision making on the sideline...it is always better to remain calm and keep your thinking straight.

That being said...here are some random thoughts on this situation so just try to bear with me and I hope you can understand the gist of what I am trying to say.

I have been very impressed with Pietrus...his athleticism is off the charts and he seems like a great pick-up...that being said...I think we can all see that some of the warts he had in Golden State i.e. fouling, turnovers and lately poor shooting are gonna take some time in Stan's system to get ironed out...I would in fact attribute some of his problems to the fact that he is brand new on this team and is probably still thinking a lot instead of just reacting.

Courtney Lee in the long term seems like he may be the best shooting guard on the roster...he can shoot, penetrate, has handles, smart, plays good defense both on the ball and off and so forth...at the same time he is a rook and has a learning process and growing pains to get through...so he might not be ready just yet.

Now, going on the assumption that Otis is exploring other teams rosters and that a trade "COULD" be in the offing...here's my take.

Obviously the main candidates to trade are Redick, Bogans and Cook...

On J.J., I don't buy what people are saying that he is now quicker...stronger, yes...that is certainly obtainable...as an ex-player myself I can tell you that I spent one whole summer just lifting and mostly doing squats for leg strength...squats can improve your jumping ability decisively...it did for me...but it doesn't improve your quickness...it might improve your explosion off your jump but your quickness pretty much remains the same...you either have quickness or you don't.

J.J. played well last night...the team was like a +27 with him on the floor...most of J.J.'s minutes last night were played with Dwight on the floor...Stan and Otis have both said that this season they are not gonna play Dwight 40 minutes a night...they plan on cutting his minutes down which means that if J.J. Becomes our back-up shooting guard he will be logging minutes with the second team...without Dwight on the floor how effective can J.J. be?...You know he is not gonna start with an undersized point guard already there(Jameer). Also...it bodes well for this organization for J.J. to be making an impression on the court for obvious reasons...either for trading purposes or to actually have a use for him this year.

Bogans is a steady vet...nothing fancy...knows the system...and here are two of his better attributes which are key...he doesn't turn the ball over and he is not prone to foul trouble...he played all 82 games last season so he is durable...and regardless of popular opinion plays good aggressive defense...at least Stan thought so last year. You can plug him in right now and you know what you will get.

Now, the prevailing thought after we acquired Pietrus this summer was that Bogans had become expendable and that J.J. could now have a role because he could bring an added dimension that we didn't have(great shooting) and that Pietrus could replace Keith only better.

I think Otis was willing to ride this roster out until mid-season and let the shooting guard situation work itself out...unfortunately, Mike Wilks injury might have forced his hand...he may now have to make a choice which shooting guard to trade and which to keep.

I'll finish with this thought...if Otis decides to trade Keith...you guys do realize what that would leave us with on the roster at the shooting guard position...

A raw rookie(Lee)...A 3rd year player(J.J.) with so little playing time in his career that he is basically like a rookie and whom really only has one useable skill...shooting...and Pietrus who as of right now is still learning the system and working out the kinks.

If I was Otis, these thoughts would certainly be crossing my mind.

Hmm..I wouldn't judge JJ as a rookie seeing that he still had to practice and play games against his teammates (some of whom are starters on the team) so he still basically did two years of this against the likes of past and present players that were apart of the team.

And this is only my opinion.

That is a good point Ball Junkie. In fact, I think there are plenty of logical reasons for why it is going to be JJ traded instead of Bogans, and I'm pretty sure you've covered them all at some point in previous posts.

I can honestly say though that if Otis makes the none logical move and keeps JJ over Bogans, I won't be the least bit disappointed. JJ's potential may just be worth the risk.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

The plot thickens. As this point, I really don't care who gets traded. If JJ can net us a solid point guard in return I will sign on the dotted line right now.

I want more then solid. I want a starter. As I've said countless times. Nelson isn't a starter in the nba. Neither was Carlos. Both have great heart and energy, but really like the size and athletism that this team needs.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:
Originally posted by bravlady:

Is this why Bogans is riding the pine tonight?

We gotta pump up J.J.'s value...Bogans doesn't need to play in the pre-season...he is a proven comodity...

Bogans has proved he's probably the most inconsistent player in Van Gundy's rotation. Van GUndy is about the only person in the league who believes Bogans is a defender. He plays D, but Bogans is too slow to stop anyone. JJ is actually quicker, more active, and has better court awareness.

The Magic will always be the Magic. Starting from the clueless ownership on down to this clueless coach who has zero eye for talent and an inept "businessman" who plays GM.

In the end we'll probably keep nobodies like BOgans, Cook, and Battie, (who are all inconsistent, excite no one, and have little value) while they keep shipping out young guys that have talent and are fan favorites. It's what the Magic have always been about.

It's a pity the DeVos family management will never hire the right coaches and Gms to get this team over the top.

Fan favorites don't win championships. Role players do.

If just loading up with big name players was the key to success, expect a Denver-NY Finals this year.

quote:
The Magic will always be the Magic. Starting from the clueless ownership on down to this clueless coach who has zero eye for talent and an inept "businessman" who plays GM.

Do you just cut and paste the same stupid post over and over?

quote:
As I've said countless times. Nelson isn't a starter in the nba.

I don't think that's been proven or disproven yet, Coach. Meer has proven to be very capable in streches. Plus he needs to stay healthy. And I don't think there are all that many great PG's in the league in the first place.

quote:
Originally posted by Tough Break There:

I don't think that's been proven or disproven yet, Coach. Meer has proven to be very capable in streches. Plus he needs to stay healthy. And I don't think there are all that many great PG's in the league in the first place.

and this guy has the nerve to tell people their posts are stupid?

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

Fan favorites don't win championships. Role players do.

It's no wonder we haven't even gotten close to winning anything after 1995 with role players like Cook, Battie, and Bogans.

If I wanted to be picky I could say neither Jameer, Bogans, or even Lewis are "role players"

Jameer is an undersized SG, Bogans is an undersized SF, and Lewis, in SVG's scheme is forced to play out of his natural position.

quote:
Originally posted by CoachTsurfing:

quote:

The plot thickens. As this point, I really don't care who gets traded. If JJ can net us a solid point guard in return I will sign on the dotted line right now.

I want more then solid. I want a starter. As I've said countless times. Nelson isn't a starter in the nba. Neither was Carlos. Both have great heart and energy, but really like the size and athletism that this team needs.

What you want and what you will get are very different things. There isn't a team in the league that will give up a starting calibre point guard for JJ.

i would say that bogans has proven that he is a good role player. he filled in nicely for a half season last season, and the other half he wasnt great nor bad. jameer has always been in the AI mode which is the antithesis of a role player. but, he has heart, you gotta like that. shard is a smart player, he would do well on any team-i dont see how he couldnt be considered anything other than a solid role player. cook doesnt fit the mold.

quote:

quote:

quote:

What you want and what you will get are very different things. There isn't a team in the league that will give up a starting calibre point guard for JJ.

JJ for Chris Paul. It's going to happen.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

quote:

quote:

JJ for Chris Paul. It's going to happen.

The people that start these crazy trade scenarios are the same one that will be starting threads telling us how much Otis sucks. Then they will reference the Gasol trade and wonder why every GM can't pull off a trade that one sided.