Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

If Lee plays the "2"...J.J. is 3rd string again

quote:
Originally posted by otownmagic333:

I think he's going to be a big contributor to us. Most of JJ's minutes yesterday were in 1st qtr where they had a total of 9 pts. It can't be that bad. Lee is gonna get his minutes too though.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, basketball time.

Coach VanGundy in his post game comments was talking about the playing time, and i remember wondering after he was done who he was talking about because he made a comment about someone not getting the playing time they want(that is my summarizing, not the words he said). Did anyone hear it? The only thing i specifically remember was that he said he HAD to get MP at least 24 min per game.

Just listening to his comments from the first couple of games, i tend to think Bogans may want to up his game because i got the impression that he meant that those who were used to time may not get it, so the above sentiment could indeed be the case.

I do remain a bit skeptical, just because of how last year played out with pre-season and regular season.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Before I start rambling, some perspective please...this was just game 2 of the pre-season. Yet, we are still allowed to make observations based on the teams play so far. Since I get DirecTV I got to see last night's game with my own eyes.

Shooting gaurd thread...

Mickael Pietrus was impressive! Dude can shoot the three ball and his post-up game was quite impressive. Not only did he have moves on the block but he was shooting fadeaways that were falling. The most impressive thing was the way he kept Jason Richardson at bay. Even when J. Rich tried to take him off the dribble he recovered and forced him into either a bad shot or pass. I did not see him try to take people off the dribble last night...something that is supposedly his weakness.

Lee is gonna be a BALLER!!!

I saw him in the 4th quarter last night take the ball to the hole in transition and finish with bodies and contact all around him...you can see his explosiveness and athleticism, something J.J. Redick will never, ever be able to do. As soon as they start showing the games on TV you guys are gonna see exactly what I'm talking about for yourselves. They need to quit jerking that boy around with the point guard stuff...and last night they put him at the "2" where he should be. There is no way they can keep that boy on the bench...when Lee had the ball on the wing isolated with a defender I found myself saying...take the ball to the hole Man...you can beat thay guy off the dribble easily. Something that as we all know J.J. is not very adept at. Lastly, they didn't experiment with Lee at the point even after Jameer hurt his ankle.

I'll give J.J. credit, at least he is knocking down shots right now. He still can't play defense. You talk about a BLOWBY!!! When J.J. checked into the game his 1st assignment was gaurding J. Rich, enough said. Larry Brown then inserted Matt Carroll into the game, the one white guy in the league that is slower than Redick. Didn't matter, the first time Matt had J.J. isolated on the wing he got around J.J. to the basket. Thankfully, Dwight was there to clean up the mess. And yes, Redick did shoot the ball well but he had frikin Matt Carroll on him.

Okay...Keith Bogans looks to be the odd man out. Alright, GIVE UP THE 1ST ROUNDER OTIS AND TRADE THIS GUY FOR SOMETHING!! Preferably another point guard.

Jameer started crying about his ankle last night in the 3rd quarter and didn't return. Thank God for Anthony Johnson! Dude knows what he is doing...when Jameer gets hurt(notice I didn't say if) I am seriously worried about the point. Looks like we might be keeping Mike Wilks afterall.

Here are some quotes on Jammer and Turk from everyone's favorite coach, Stan Van Gundy:

quote:

Van Gundy reacted to that performance(against the Hawks on Monday) by putting the Magic through a marathon film session on Tuesday followed by a practice loaded with defensive drills. In particular, Van Gundy called out point guard Jameer Nelson and forward Hedo Turkoglu for their poor effort.

``We watched every defensive possession of the second half,

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

So......is it me, or is Garrity a hell of a play-by-play announcer?

He's in the Trent Dilfer mold of unbearably s***ty professional athletes who are remarkably intelligent and well spoken in their commentary.

quote:
Originally posted by Osprey23:

I honestly think JJ slept with Junkie's wife.

See, it's comments like these that ruin this board. I think this comment was meant to be a joke but I still don't like it...I wouldn't tease any person here like this unless I knew them fairly well and in this case I really haven't conversed with Osprey but a few times and even then it was in a negative way.

The mods obviously allow it because Osprey is one of their good buddies and he/she posts a lot, is a vet.

Back on subject, I guess it's okay to start a thread titled, "One and Only TRADE BOGANS THREAD". Everyone chimes in and says how said player s-u-c-k-s and his defense was so horrible on Monday night...nobody cares about ripping Keith or defending him or complaining about a negative thread(Kitno was the only one defending him) because he is not a popular player. Especially with the most popular guy on the planet right here on our very team.

I'm gonna be honest here...yeah, last season I went to some games actually hoping and pulling for some players to screw up because of all the crap some of the people on these boards talk. You know what else...I know I'm not the only one. I remember threads being started by multiple people last year saying that because of Carlos fans they actually hoped he would screw up because they knew the next day that's all they would read about if he had a good game.

That is very similar to my feelings about Redick...except they like to rip Bogans while boosting their guy at the same time.

For the record, everyone that trashed Bogans after the Hawks game I happened to check the play-by-play log...Keith only the 3rd quarter for 12 minutes...in the 3rd quarter of that game the opposing team shooting guard only scored 8 of the 45 points the Magic gave up. The majority of the Hawks damage was done by Acie Law(point guard) and Josh Smith(power forward). In fact, the opening post of this thread has Stan lamenting this very fact...Jameer and Turk stunk up the joint...not Keith Bogans.

You know, I hate that I go to go games feeling negative about any player because I honestly love the Magic. Makes me think I need to get off these boards like many before me have chosen.

Some of you took this thread in a negative light but that was not my intention...as some have mentioned and Mike Bianchi mentioned in the Sentinel today all we have heard since Redick scored 12 points was J.J. this and J.J. that. He played well last pre-season and we all know how that turned out. I stand by my thread and am confident Courtney Lee will soon be getting the back-up minutes at the "2".

Can't wait for it to be proven on the court...

I don't mind Redick helping the team but I honestly don't see it...maybe spot minutes here and there.

We'll see.....

ball junkie... you're missing the fact that I think posters want optimism, not the same pessimistic crap that's been said about Redick for 2 years now.

We know his D needs work, we know he's not very athletic, and we all know Lee has more explosiveness, etc.

So we don't need long posts about this subject. Van Gundy is going to split minutes between Lee and Redick throughout the entire year, because it adds friendly competition. We have a real good team this year, so enough about who should be playing. I think Stan knows what he's doing.

Look at the Spurs. They had a starting forward Oberto in the playoffs, and because he played smart, and made the right decisions, he contributed to the destruction of the much more athletic Phoenix Suns.

So yeah, it helps to be a physical freak like Dwight, but even he gets romped sometimes by the smarter players. It's not ALL about athleticism. There's factors of Redick and Lee's game we have yet to see. So stop making conclusions based of Preseason game #2, ffs.

quote:
That is very similar to my feelings about Redick...except they like to rip Bogans while boosting their guy at the same time.

Do you not see that you rip Redick while boosting Bogans?

Why do you care what people post about a player on a message board? The only person that should care about it should be the mods because we have to deal with the constant bickering when player A out performs player B. You don't have to deal with that, all you have to do is post your opinion and you don't have to do that. This should be something fun you do for entertainment.

I allowed the comment because it was obviously meant to be a joke, the same way I allow you to make jokes. I'd also add that I've spoken with you and stuck up for you more than a good majority of the people on here so to say that I am showing favoritism to one of my "buddies" couldn't be further from the truth.

Apparently Osprey should have posted "ha-ha" after his joke. Then it would have been acceptable. Pot meet kettle.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

Apparently Osprey should have posted "ha-ha" after his joke. Then it would have been acceptable. Pot meet kettle.

Or we could totally rip off every other forum, and have an established font color that indicates something is meant as a joke.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

So......is it me, or is Garrity a hell of a play-by-play announcer?

He's in the Trent Dilfer mold of unbearably s***ty professional athletes who are remarkably intelligent and well spoken in their commentary.

LMAO...quality!

The opening post is obviously biased which is not a surprise. I don't believe in the believe in opinions of forum members on destinies of players because no one here actually knows the exact future.

The reason why so many forum members are praising Redick is because in the past two seasons, Redick has been the center of debate. This was even during the low periods of the Carlos Arroyo vs. Jameer Nelson era.

Redick was labeled a player that wouldn't succeed in the league or a bust as we call it. Beginning his rookie season, Redick was not given minutes under coach Brian Hill because he refused to play rookies. That included Travis Diener and James Augustine.

Fans in the forum thought Redick could help the team while others thought Redick's lack of defensive intensity lead to him riding the pine. During these times, the thought of trading Redick exploded to all proportions. The believers such as myself (Yes..I'm a believer) kept on believing that with hard practice, self-motivation, a change in maturity, and above all else "belief", Redick would be running the floor along with Dwight and all. Today, everyone's surprised at what Redick's doing and their reaction is to post their opinions on this unusual phenomenon.

On the preseason games. They aren't necessarily worthless if you look at it from the Van Gundy perspective. Van Gundy uses preseason to judge who will be part of his rotations. Currently, everyone who is a starter during the preseason has their starting position on the roster secured.

Redick, Courtney Lee, Keith Bogans, Tony Battie, Adonal Foyle, Marcin Gortat, and Brian Cook are fighting for a place in the rotation. Who knows? Stan just might switch around how many players he has in the rotations. We're two games into the preseason and who's been impressive so far by order?

1. Jonathan Redick

2. Courtney Lee

3. Tony Battie

4. Marcin Gortat

5. Adonal Foyle

6. Brian Cook (at least he "SCORED" during the preseason)

7. Keith Bogans

So far, these players have looked the best and have improved. Why didn't I include AJ in this? His role is backup point guard. That position is locked up as well.

Keith Bogans played a full quarter of 12 minutes and scored not even a point. He just attempted one shot and committed one turnover. To add, Keith Bogans was not given the option of even playing minutes in the game against the Bobcats. There could be many possibilities to explain Bogans's disinterest (It's preseason). The possibilities are endless.

Until then..judgement will be expanded to multiple games as the season progresses to April.