Sign in to follow this  
ThisIsTheYear

Virginia Tech Massacre

Anyone else see the News on that? They've reported that a gunman killed 32 people, and injured 28 or more others.

They haven't confirmed who it was or what his motives were, but ****.

What the hell's gone wrong with people in this world.

Anyone else see the News on that? They've reported that a gunman killed 32 people, and injured 28 or more others.

They haven't confirmed who it was or what his motives were, but ****.

What the hell's gone wrong with people in this world.

A gunman opened fire in a Virginia Tech dorm and then, two hours later, in a classroom across campus Monday, killing at least 30 people in the deadliest shooting rampage in U.S. history, government officials told The Associated Press. The gunman was killed, bringing the death toll to 31.

Students complained that the university did not warn them about the first deadly burst of gunfire until hours later.

"Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions," said Virginia Tech president Charles Steger. "The university is shocked and indeed horrified."

It was not immediately clear whether the gunman was shot by police or took his own life. Investigators offered no motive for the attack. The gunman's name was not immediately released, and it was not known if he was a student.

The shootings spread panic and confusion on campus. Witnesses reporting students jumping out the windows of a classroom building to escape the gunfire. SWAT team members with helmets, flak jackets and assault rifles swarmed over the campus. Students and faculty members carried out some of the wounded themselves, without waiting for ambulances to arrive.

Watch Video

Gunfire Captured on Cell Phone

Gunfire and shouts can be heard on raw video recorded on the Virginia Tech campus.

Next Video: University President 'Shocked'

1/2

The massacre took place at opposite sides of the 2,600-acre campus, beginning at about 7:15 a.m. at West Ambler Johnston, a coed dormitory that houses 895 people, and continuing at least two hours later at Norris Hall, an engineering building about a half-mile away, authorities said.

Police said they were still investigating the shooting at the dorm when they got word of gunfire at the classroom building.

Some students bitterly questioned why the gunman was able to strike a second time, two hours after the bloodshed began.

"What happened today this was ridiculous," student Jason Piatt told CNN. He said the first warning from the university of a shooting on campus came in an e-mail about two hours after the first deadly burst of gunfire. "While they're sending out that e-mail, 22 more people got killed," Piatt said.

FBI spokesman Richard Kolko in Washington said there was no evidence to suggest it was a terrorist attack, "but all avenues will be explored."

Government officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they did not want to pre-empt an announcement by higher-ranking authorities, put the death toll at 31.

Past Deadly School Shootings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More Coverage: List of Other School Shootings

From the Blogs: Why Compare Tragedies?

Sources: abcnews.com, AP

At least 26 people were being treated at three area hospitals for gunshot wounds and other injuries, authorities said. Their exact conditions were not disclosed, but at least one was sent to a trauma center and six were in surgery, authorities said.

Up until Monday, the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history was in Killeen, Texas, in 1991, when George Hennard plowed his pickup truck into a Luby's Cafeteria and shot 23 people to death, then himself.

The massacre Monday took place almost eight years to the day after the Columbine High bloodbath near Littleton, Colo. On April 20, 1999, two teenagers killed 12 fellow students and a teacher before taking their own lives.

Previously, the deadliest campus shooting in U.S. history was a rampage that took place in 1966 at the University of Texas at Austin, where Charles Whitman climbed the clock tower and opened fire with a rifle from the 28th-floor observation deck. He killed 16 people before he was shot to death by police.

Founded in 1872, Virginia Tech is nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains of southwestern Virginia, about 160 miles west of Richmond. With more than 25,000 full-time students, it has the state's largest full-time student population. The school is best known for its engineering school and its powerhouse Hokies football team.

The rampage took place on a brisk spring day, with snow flurries swirling around the campus. The campus is centered around the Drill Field, a grassy field where military cadets - who now represent a fraction of the student body - once practiced. The dorm and the classroom building are on opposites sides of the Drill Field.

A gasp could be heard at a campus news conference when Virginia Tech Police Chief W.R. Flinchum said at least 20 people had been killed. Previously, only one person was thought to have been killed.

Most Popular - Last 24 Hours

Gunman Kills More Than 30 at Virginia TechNor'easter Threatens Severe East Coast FloodingPrince William Breaks Up With Longtime GirlfriendBuyers for Anna Nicole Diaries Scared AwayHijacked Helicopter Busts Inmate Out of JailInvestigators from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives began marking and recovering the large number of shell casings and will trace the weapon used, authorities said.

A White House spokesman said President Bush was horrified by the rampage and offered his prayers to the victims and the people of Virginia.

"The president believes that there is a right for people to bear arms, but that all laws must be followed," spokeswoman Dana Perino said

After the shootings, all entrances to the campus were closed, and classes were canceled through Tuesday. The university set up a meeting place for families to reunite with their children. It also made counselors available and planned an assembly for Tuesday at the basketball arena.

After the shooting began, students were told to stay inside away from the windows.

Aimee Kanode, a freshman from Martinsville, said the shooting happened on the fourth floor of West Ambler Johnston dormitory, one floor above her room. Kanode's resident assistant knocked on her door about 8 a.m. to notify students to stay put.

Police said there had been bomb threats on campus over the past two weeks by authorities but said they have not determined a link to the shootings.

It was second time in less than a year that the campus was closed because of a shooting.

Last August, the opening day of classes was canceled and the campus closed when an escaped jail inmate allegedly killed a hospital guard off campus and fled to the Tech area. A sheriff's deputy involved in the manhunt was killed on a trail just off campus. The accused gunman, William Morva, faces capital murder charges.

Horrible tragedy, what could push someone to do this to people, how could you simply take someones life, with no remorse it is disgusting how much this world has changed.

This is most likely a case of this kid being made fun of and tired of it and taking the lives of these innocent bystanders because of it.

He has given himself a one way ticket to hell and he will pay for his actions in a higher plain.He took his life to escape punishment but now he will face the ultimate punishment.

quote:
Originally posted by richnba:

Horrible tragedy, what could push someone to do this to people, how could you simply take someones life, with no remorse it is disgusting how much this world has changed.

This is most likely a case of this kid being made fun of and tired of it and taking the lives of these innocent bystanders because of it.

He has given himself a one way ticket to hell and he will pay for his actions in a higher plain.He took his life to escape punishment but now he will face the ultimate punishment.

If there is any justice in this life or the next, he'll have a special ring in hell.

So Sad, it could of been prevented too. At 7:15 two bystanders were shot in a dorm I believe. The question here is why didn't they lock down the school after this accident; isolated or not. Its not normal for people to be killed at school. Administration is truly at fault. Let there souls rest and the wounded be healed. What is this world coming too? No reason at all for administration not to lock down the school. This makes me so ill.

I honestly don't know what to say. What drove this man to make such horrible decisions? I tend to believe that people who commit crimes are not that different, mentally that is (for the most part), then you and I. However, when something like this happens it is practically impossible to defend this position.

I work at UCF, and today in the office was the strangest day of work I have ever had. We all were thinking how something similar could happen here. I have never felt unsafe at any school, ever, until today.

Again, these incidents, including the recent shooting at the Amish school, Columbine, the 1966 sniper at the University of Texas, and other such incidents, are impossible to comprehend.

As others have said, there are many questions to be answered. What the HELL was going on in the two hours between incidents? What were the administration and police doing? Where did he get those guns?

Perhaps the only good thing to come from this, although it might be too early to begin discussing it, is the return of the gun control debate. Two years ago the assault weapons ban was allowed to expire by Congress and the President. As was reported (obviously this early nothing is known for sure) the guns had serial numbers scratched off (in an effort to make them untraceable), and the gunman used clips that allowed more bullets to be locked in. According to MSNBC, this type of clip was outlawed under the assault weapon ban.

Thoughts anyone?

I know the Off Topic forum does not get much attention, but it would be wonderful to be able to have a fruitful discussion on the most important of issues.

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

I honestly don't know what to say. What drove this man to make such horrible decisions? I tend to believe that people who commit crimes are not that different, mentally that is (for the most part), then you and I. However, when something like this happens it is practically impossible to defend this position.

I work at UCF, and today in the office was the strangest day of work I have ever had. We all were thinking how something similar could happen here. I have never felt unsafe at any school, ever, until today.

Again, these incidents, including the recent shooting at the Amish school, Columbine, the 1966 sniper at the University of Texas, and other such incidents, are impossible to comprehend.

As others have said, there are many questions to be answered. What the HELL was going on in the two hours between incidents? What were the administration and police doing? Where did he get those guns?

Perhaps the only good thing to come from this, although it might be too early to begin discussing it, is the return of the gun control debate. Two years ago the assault weapons ban was allowed to expire by Congress and the President. As was reported (obviously this early nothing is known for sure) the guns had serial numbers scratched off (in an effort to make them untraceable), and the gunman used clips that allowed more bullets to be locked in. According to MSNBC, this type of clip was outlawed under the assault weapon ban.

Thoughts anyone?

I know the Off Topic forum does not get much attention, but it would be wonderful to be able to have a fruitful discussion on the most important of issues.

WOW, I am in shock about the whole thing, as you say WP what can drive someone to do something so awful, to innocent people.

Personally I feel the administration is at huge fault here, as Carlito mentioned above after the first 2 shootings the whole school should have been locked down, the fact he then killed 22+ people 2 hours later makes me feel physically sick to think it could have been prevented.

It is so scary to think that there are physcos out there like this and something so safe and normal like going to school could get you killed in cold blood. Also I just feel that incidents like this can motivate other individuals to do the same thing.

As you say WP I am glad that the guns issue will be raised again because they are far to readily available IMO, something needs to be done to help prevent tragedies like this!

I remember back then in 1998 or 1999, when I was in California, there was another school incident that happened like this, Colorado I believe. It was just terrible. I was having a vacation at my uncle's house, and man, instead of having fun, all we, me and cousins, did was to watch the tv. and sad to say that this is even worse. yikes. terrible.