Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Steve Kyler's take on the Magic/Memphis talks (update, pg. 10)

people who don't want this trade to go down are insane, as someone who was has been following Javaris for a long time due to his ties with Dwight, he has allstar talent [and many scouts I've had contact with agree]

the problem is, he is still 20 years old and will need years to develop: which is fine, since we have Jameer and AJ for now: we can wait on Javaris to team up with Dwight in the future when guys like Hedo and Rashard are older:

we will NOT have cap room anytime soon, and this is a chance to get a potential allstar point guard: for what? JJ Redick....who won't even be on the team next roster: inside sources already told us the most Otis was getting for him in offers was a 2nd round pick

and a future late first round pick? you can buy a future 1st round pick the way they're being sold these days: this is such an obvious move, that

(a) cuts salary so we can stay under the lux cap to keep Hedo and others

(B) gives us huge potential

if Javaris is a bust, we didnt really give anything up anyways

methinks Otis is reluctant to do this only because he can't admit to the world he wasted an 11th pick on JJ Redick and wants to save face: at some point soon though, he will have to deal with reality

As for reported trade offer, it would be no-brainer. JJ is a bust here and we've very effectively run his value right into the dirt. J-Crit for future 1st is easy. I'd like him better if he were a natural point, but his size, and athleticism are otherwise a good compliment to Jameer.

In such a deal, JJ is nothing more than sweatner. Crit for future 1st is reasonable trade that favors Magic. Bird in hand, all that. But, should JJ flourish, should Magic tank a season, dwight injury, ect...Memphis has more upside with trade. That's what you call a fair trade. Garauntee of today for promise of tomorrow.

Otis is trying to get a steal and who can blame him. But, Memphis has all the leverage here with other teams knocking on the door. IF, BIG IF, Crit were moved elsewhere in such a deal, that would be a huge missed opportunity for Orlando.

2nd point, my understanding is that Memphis is in talks with multiple teams, and has not put a deal on table for Magic. Discussions, parameters...potential moving target.

But, issues with moving future 1st for 20 year old prosect are absurd. Unless Otis lets him later walk out door for nothing, AGAIN.

quote:
Originally posted by ReeceGaines:

I keep hearing about how Javaris got dumped by two teams

first off, the Lakers got Pau Gasol for him! Gasol for goodness sakes: that wasn't a dump, it was an obvious trade, because Memphis demanded javaris in return: it's like saying, orlando 'dumped' Hedo Turkoglu if they were offered Chris Paul [you get what I mean]

the second team dumping him, well they have OJ Mayo and Mike Conley Jr [whom they spent the #4 pick on]: its an unusual situation: and their GM is NOT Jerry West: he retired like two years ago and has no role in this anymore

While it is true that Jerry West is no longer the GM of either Grizzlies or the Lakers, you can't truly believe that he had no role in the Gasol trade. And regardless of the circumstances, Crittendon is still about to be on his third team - and while I'm hoping it is ours, it still has to be considered a factor in evaluating him.

I don't think it's absurd to balk at trading a first. Only because the Magic will not be able to build the team many other ways if they extend Hedo.

The Magic want Hedo to stay. Who can blame them? They could have a very deep team if he is the 6th man. Plus he is a valuable trade asset if his contract is reasonable.

The only way the Magic can grow the team is going to be drafting and minimum contracts, so they have to be super careful about every move they make.

The thought of Crittenton joining up with Dwight again though for a potential 1-2 tandem down the road is incredibly cool though. I would love to see if Otis can get it done without losing a first round pick.

Im on board for this trade as is. Whether you think JJ has potential or not, he probably doesnt have much for our team. I would imagine that Memphis just likes Lowry and Conley better than Crit, but it doesnt mean that Crit cant play or doesnt have value.

I would agree that Memphis is just weighing their options before saying yay or nay to our offer.

Id rather keep Bogans myself and deal JJ, if they would take him. He may or may not be a player in this league, but its clear he wont for the Magic.

And I think you get this done before the deadline. I like the signing of Johnson, but I think we really need another PG on our roster before training camp.

Honestly, people need to look at what we're giving up now, not what we give up in retrospect to 2006.

JJ Redick is our 4th string SG who has an expensive 3 million team option next year that won't be picked up due to a need to re-sign Hedo [if we didnt re-sign Dooling for this cost, we won't with JJ]: he is a one year rental at this point who can fetch at most, a 2nd round pick

A future 1st for a team that won 52 games and improved this offseason with Battie coming back, probably means around the #25 pick: this is around the point of the draft where teams sell their picks for cash since they can get a high 2nd round pick who will demand less salary

late 1st rounder plus a 2nd rounder [JJ] for Javaris = no brainer, IMO

and you save cap space to possibly sign a rotation player next year

the money we'd save on JJ's contract this year could be used to BUY a late 1st round pick next year ALA Portland Blazers [does Otis have an accountant to explain this matter]

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

And regardless of the circumstances, Crittendon is still about to be on his third team - and while I'm hoping it is ours, it still has to be considered a factor in evaluating him.

It's not a factor at all considering it netted Gasol for the Lakers, and Conley/Lowry/Mayo are all ahead of Javaris on Memphis' depth chart.

But, I must admit, I think it's funny that Javaris being traded once before, factors into evaluating him as a player, but JJ riding the pine behind Evans/Bogans/Dooling, doesn't factor into evaluating his trade value according to fans on this board.

quote:

The only way the Magic can grow the team is going to be drafting and minimum contracts, so they have to be super careful about every move they make.

Think of it this way: Portland bought a late 1st round pick for $3 million dollars in the draft [around where we will pick next year]

The difference in salary between JJ and Javaris already covers half this cost: Essentially, our owner could pocket that difference and re-buy the pick [or one around it] that we just traded, essentially getting us Javaris for JJ straight up.

This deal is more like, JJ for Javaris, if our owner has a Portland Blazers attitude and re-buys a late 1st rounder with the money we saved on contract.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

And regardless of the circumstances, Crittendon is still about to be on his third team - and while I'm hoping it is ours, it still has to be considered a factor in evaluating him.

It's not a factor at all considering it netted Gasol for the Lakers, and Conley/Lowry/Mayo are all ahead of Javaris on Memphis' depth chart.

But, I must admit, I think it's funny that Javaris being traded once before, factors into evaluating him as a player, but JJ riding the pine behind Evans/Bogans/Dooling, doesn't factor into evaluating his trade value according to fans on this board.

The problem is that several of you on this thread are assuming that those of us showing some hesitation are not interested in Crittendon. I am very interested in having him on my team. His relationship with Dwight, combined with his playing potential, make this extremely interesting to me.

But I'm trying to see it through Otis's eyes, as best I can. Ultimately, you want the player, but you give up as little as possible. Every potential factor comes into play, including anything you can use to de-value the player when discussing the deal with the other GM. If Memphis can use this tactic when assessing JJ, then certainly Otis can look for things to use when assessing Crittendon.

quote:

That's called "Homerism," a disease of which there is no cure.

quote:
Originally posted by allstarme:

quote:

That's called "Homerism," a disease of which there is no cure.

Bleh.

I take my pills everyday to no avail.

I think the current trade that is being talked about is pretty reasonable for the Magic but I understand why Otis is holding out a little bit. Its negotiating 101. You don't take the first offer that is on the table. If Memphis sticks to their guns and hold out for a first along with JJ then eventually Otis will relent....I think.

I really don't care if JJ stays or goes at this point. Even if Bogans is the one that is traded, I don't see JJ significantly contributing to the team next year. It sucks that we wasted the lottery pick but sometimes you have to cut your losses.