Sign in to follow this  
BRich

Magic Offer Keyon Biannual Exception [O-Sen]

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

Can someone tell me why we would burn our bi-annual for a player we own bird rights on? Thanks.

I believe, although I am no expert, that the exceptions have less of an effect on the cap.

Overall though, I think it's insulting to Dooling and he IS going to make more somewhere else. He's not my favorite player and I always had the feeling that something horrible was just waiting to happen when he got into the game, and he couldn't run the offense, but still, he's a class guy and worth more. The Magic should have just told him thanks and goodbye.

Otis doesn't want to spend more then the bi-annual exception is worth, so it doesn't matter why anyway.

Thanks Defko for the quote:

quote:
Larry Bird exception

Perhaps the most well-known of the NBA's salary cap exceptions, it is so named because the Boston Celtics were the first team permitted to exceed the salary cap to re-sign one of their own players (in that case, Larry Bird). Free agents who qualify for this exception are called "qualifying veteran free agents" or "Bird Free Agents" in the CBA, and this exception falls under the auspices of the Veteran Free Agent exception. In a nutshell, the Larry Bird exception allows teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own free agents, at an amount up to the maximum salary. To qualify as a Bird free agent, a player must have played three seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. This means a player can obtain "Bird rights" by playing under three one-year contracts, a single contract of at least three years, or any combination thereof. It also means that when a player is traded, his Bird rights are traded with him, and his new team can use the Bird exception to re-sign him. Bird-exception contracts can be up to six years in length.

Does this exception means that Otis could sign Dooling or Arroyo to a 3 year contract (lets say 12mill.),making the Magic go over the cap, and still not pay the luxury tax?

quote:
Originally posted by CarlosDarwin:

Thanks Defko for the quote:

quote:
Larry Bird exception

Perhaps the most well-known of the NBA's salary cap exceptions, it is so named because the Boston Celtics were the first team permitted to exceed the salary cap to re-sign one of their own players (in that case, Larry Bird). Free agents who qualify for this exception are called "qualifying veteran free agents" or "Bird Free Agents" in the CBA, and this exception falls under the auspices of the Veteran Free Agent exception. In a nutshell, the Larry Bird exception allows teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own free agents, at an amount up to the maximum salary. To qualify as a Bird free agent, a player must have played three seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. This means a player can obtain "Bird rights" by playing under three one-year contracts, a single contract of at least three years, or any combination thereof. It also means that when a player is traded, his Bird rights are traded with him, and his new team can use the Bird exception to re-sign him. Bird-exception contracts can be up to six years in length.

Does this exception means that Otis could sign Dooling or Arroyo to a 3 year contract (lets say 12mill.),making the Magic go over the cap, and still not pay the luxury tax?

No.

It means they can sign them and push the team over the Cap. Without the bird rights, I believe they could only sign a player to whatever was left under the cap, or any exceptions (bi-annual, mid leve, etc.).

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

Can someone tell me why we would burn our bi-annual for a player we own bird rights on? Thanks.

I didn't get it too.

Maybe someone could help us.

Or maybe is just a Brian Shmitz dream.... Denton didn't wrote anything about that until now.

wow.

this is almost disrespectful...he made more last year than that, and we know he's looking for more...

way to go Otis...way to slap a dude in the face.

now we know that Keyon says adios to O-Town...

Future Magic Killer, no doubt.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

I think it would've been more effective if Otis had just gone to Keyon's house, knocked on the door, and when Keyon answered the door, pissed on his foot.

Or he could have asked him what the 5 fingers said to the face. S-L-A-P B*TCH.

quote:

I think it would've been more effective if Otis had just gone to Keyon's house, knocked on the door, and when Keyon answered the door, pissed on his foot.

Dooling must've gotten stung by a jellyfish on that Bahamas vacation with Jameer and Tony. That's a shame.

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

quote:

Dooling must've gotten stung by a jellyfish on that Bahamas vacation with Jameer and Tony. That's a shame.

He'll thank Otis for helping him with the jellyfish sting, but then leave anyway, saying "I don't want to play on a team with two guys like Jameer and Tony who wouldn't even piss on my foot to help end my pain."

its not disrespectful. The magic dont expect him to go for it. By offering him the exception they're basically saying that this is all we are going to offer any free agents we are going for, we still value you, but we dont want to go over the luxury tax to sign you.

Its not a serious contract, its a gesture.

How is this any different then offering maggette the MLE? He's worth more than 5.8 mill per year but none of you saw that as insulting.

quote:

I think this technique was present in chapter one of Bob Woolfs, "The Art Of The Deal".