DLO

Duhon agrees to deal with Knicks

I am dissapointed....We missed having a real PG who could come in off the bench and stop the turnovers and the bad decisions, while at the same time play some sort of defense that we're lacking at the position (outside Dooling, who we'll probably loose).

The stupid Knicks once again overpaid (because as much as I'd like to have him, he certainly doesn't deserve as a back-up PG to make full MLE), and took out of the market a player we could really use coming off the bench...

I am surprised, the only logical reason I can think of for New York to offer Duhon the full MLE is that Duhon was leaning towards going to the Magic. I am just glad the Magic did not try to match the offer and over pay for him.

I think we should all thank Otis for not overpaying Duhon like that. The Nelson deal does look a lot better now. I know that if we gave Duhon that contract, everyone on this board would be pissed, and want Otis' head.

We should try to work out a sign and trade with Golden State and Arroyo for Pietrus. Then resign Dooling, or throw some money at Carl Landry. Finally, sign J Will to the vet min.

The Nelson deal looks fantastic right now. 6 million per for Duhon!!!?

Its disappointing, but I'm glad Otis didn't try to match or anything.

very good point, aj would be great at this point and im sure could be had for the LLE. that way wed still have the full mle, for pietrus, posey, mags, or to split.

A few thoughts:

First, as discussed on this board, the differences between Dooling and Duhon are not massive. They are both defensively minded point guards capable of scoring at times. Dooling is much better at creating his own shot but suffers in initiating the offensive sets, and Duhon is the exact opposite. I'm guessing in Otis's mind the biggest difference between the two was money. Dooling wants an increased salary this year, which means he is looking for most of if not all of the MLE from someone. If the Magic could get Duhon for three million less per year than Dooling, then the deal makes sense. Unfortunately, New York likes to overpay and they offered Duhon twice as much as we did. I'm not surprised the Magic did not match the offer, if you are going to get that high, then why not resign Dooling for a home town discount. We know he is good in the locker room and doesn't (as far as we know) have a proclivity for late night partying. Considering D'Antoni has had a man crush on Duhon for years (he tried to trade for him while with the Suns) and promised him the starting job we simply couldn't compete for Duhon even if we did offer him the full MLE.

Second, I understand why the Magic were pursuing Duhon at the same time as Maggette (a lot of people on this board thought the mere idea of meeting with Duhon was an outrage). Consider that Maggette has the following (I might be missing one) options before him:

1) Although unlikely, it's still possible Corey could be used in a sign and trade with Golden State. If no one wants to accept their cap space they could sign Baron Davis and trade him to the Clippers for a resigned Corey Maggette. They could then either keep Maggette or use him to trade for someone they desire. This gets complicated, but it is a possibility, especially if they are going to go after Corey Maggette in the free agent market anyway.

2) Golden State could offer Maggette a deal starting at 10-12 million per year. (This deal depends on the availability of Smith and Brand).

3) Philly could offer Maggette a deal starting at 10-12 million per year. (This deal depends on the availability of Brand and Smith).

4) The Spurs could offer him their entire MLE.

5) The Celtics could offer him their entire MLE.

6) The Hornets could offer him their entire MLE.

7) The Jazz could offer him their entire MLE.

8) The Magic could offer him their entire MLE.

9) The Cavs could offer him their entire MLE.

Third, the Jameer deal looks really cheap now. If Duhon is worth 6 million a year then someone would have tried to get Nelson for 8-9 million a year. Even if they didn't have the salary cap room Memphis and Golden State both do and could arrange a sign and trade. If nothing else someone would have offered him their full MLE. Either way I'm glad he is signed.

Fourth, I wish our beat writers would let us know if we have any interest in Kwame Brown. There are almost no rumors online about his destination, which is very frustrating.

Fifth and finally, now that Gilbert is getting over 100 million I feel a little better about the Lewis deal. Sure Gilbert puts up more points, but he is a little crazy and at times disrupts his own team's offense with his shoot first attitude. A number of NBA experts will tell you he is the most overrated player in the Association. At least with Lewis we have a guy that never acts up or causes problems and still puts up pretty decent numbers. No, he is not worth what we are paying him, but at least we aren't the only team anymore that is giving a non top 5 player over 100 million dollars.

All I can say is thank goodness n.y. came in to save us. Now lets stop screwing around otis and go get maggette, re-sign dooling, and get a pf through trade or whatever means are necessary.

quote:
Originally posted by Greg Kite for First, as discussed on this board, the differences between Dooling and Duhon are not massive. They are both defensively minded point guards capable of scoring at times. Dooling is much better at creating his own shot but suffers in initiating the offensive sets, and Duhon is the exact opposite.

We need a PG who is a floor general/pass first/facilitator and that along with D was always the true value of Duhon. Never been crazy about his shooting percentage, but he's a very solid player.

People tend to forget, he hasn't actually even been in that role in Chicago working with such ball dominate guards like Hinrich & Gordan. I think he would have benefited tremendously by not being in such a perimeter oriented team. Disappointing, I think he would have been very good for us, and I think he'll regret playing for Datoni/NY decision at least on the court.

As much as not getting Du, I think this will have a negative influence on our remaining decisions.

THANK YOU NY

I was seeing our offseason future as signing a back-up PG for the full MLE

Keep going after Corey, show some interest in Pietrus to keep him in a back up plan....look at Shaun Livingston, he knows Dwight and may want to play here.

Look at trade options,

Bogans and Cook will expire next year

WE BETTER USE OUR EXPIRINGS THIS BLOODY TIME