Sign in to follow this  
Passenger57

Official 2013 Southwest Airlines Orlando Pro Summer League Thread

Under any circumstance should summer league be taken seriously. I mean Britton Johnson was once the best player in summer league and yammed on Lebron.

Also these are 2nd year players. Harkless was hurt at the beginning of last season and didn't really settle in to the middle of the year. Who cares.

Also I cannot stress this enough. We want to be bad this year. There are 2 franchise guys in this draft and 7-8 potential all stars. From top to bottom this could be one of the best talent drafts of all time.

So stop getting worked up over summer league.

Unfortunately, I can't give you more than one +1 for this post so I'll have to +1 all your other posts for the next week or so until we are square.

There's nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade. Right no Nicholson looks bad, point blank period. During this process we're going to have to give up on a few of our young guys as we start making that push back towards the top of the league. I'm not saying we have to give up on Andrew just yet, but he's going to have to outplay some people if he plans on being here past this season. I see upside in him, but you can't really teach athleticism and he looks like he doesn't have much of any. As long as he's wearing a Magic jersey he has my full support but that doesn't mean we have to baby these guys. Play better.

• Upvote 1

I know its summer league....but these no team more that I despise losing to than the Miami Heat. That's on any stage. Yeah I know..shut up. smile_pulpfiction.gif

but whatever..

Anyway the importance of acquiring a top draft pick is of the highest priority. The goal of this year is to lose as much as possible and all that Charlie Sheen.....

However, within the depths of your souls, I know it hurts to lose. To waste another season on losing is pretty unbearable at times. Especially looking at very easily winnable games. Just about everyone here is a realist...but they are also competitors.

Watching these Magic players play with no zeal is getting to the fans. The wait to win game is going to make this specific core of fans stronger in the mind. In reality...most people would hate to wait for success. In fact, this certain situation reminds me of psychological experiments. For Instance, would you take 30 dollars today or 45 dollars a week from now? How about 1000 today or 5000 a year from now? The logic changes when you apply this to players.

After this season, fans here will lose their minds having to lose another season again. I guarantee that. Luckily that won't be the case.

As I watch these players, I know they shouldn't be taking summer league seriously. Nevertheless, these players played horribly in their summer league games overall. It was to a point where it was unbearable. Nicholson was unbearable to watch in the first and third game. Kyle O'Quinn is an enigma. Anyone that plays like Brandon Bass should automatically feel like a 1000 spread across the internal organs. A irritation so in depth that its almost intangible You'd have to rip yourself open. That's what people in the chat room were feeling the day before.

I for one subscribed to league pass just to see how these players have made improvements. Seeing that this isn't the regular season, I wouldn't mind these players going all out a destroying their competition. So far, so bad. I've seen slight improvements in lamb. Everyone else...is eh. They've gotten bigger but their attitudes and even body language towards summer league is leaps and bounds different compared to players who aren't on contract. Its mentality of not having anything to work for.

The players seemed to play with a losing mentality...a mentality Victor Olapido definitely doesn't possess...YET.... It seems like his approach to the game..is to win. He attacked the basket relentlessly and was able to get contact multiple times. The officials even stop calling some of his drives. He went to the free throw line too much. I don't blame him for dominating the ball since no one else really wanted to be assertive. Also....Romero..Osby...looking better than Nicholson...

I know its summer league....but these no team more that I despise losing to than the Miami Heat. That's on any stage. Yeah I know..shut up. smile_pulpfiction.gif

but whatever..

Anyway the importance of acquiring a top draft pick is of the highest priority. The goal of this year is to lose as much as possible and all that Charlie Sheen.....

However, within the depths of your souls, I know it hurts to lose. To waste another season on losing is pretty unbearable at times. Especially looking at very easily winnable games. Just about everyone here is a realist...but they are also competitors.

Watching these Magic players play with no zeal is getting to the fans. The wait to win game is going to make this specific core of fans stronger in the mind. In reality...most people would hate to wait for success. In fact, this certain situation reminds me of psychological experiments. For Instance, would you take 30 dollars today or 45 dollars a week from now? How about 1000 today or 5000 a year from now? The logic changes when you apply this to players.

After this season, fans here will lose their minds having to lose another season again. I guarantee that. Luckily that won't be the case.

As I watch these players, I know they shouldn't be taking summer league seriously. Nevertheless, these players played horribly in their summer league games overall. It was to a point where it was unbearable. Nicholson was unbearable to watch in the first and third game. Kyle O'Quinn is an enigma. Anyone that plays like Brandon Bass should automatically feel like a 1000 spread across the internal organs. A irritation so in depth that its almost intangible You'd have to rip yourself open. That's what people in the chat room were feeling the day before.

I for one subscribed to league pass just to see how these players have made improvements. Seeing that this isn't the regular season, I wouldn't mind these players going all out a destroying their competition. So far, so bad. I've seen slight improvements in lamb. Everyone else...is eh. They've gotten bigger but their attitudes and even body language towards summer league is leaps and bounds different compared to players who aren't on contract. Its mentality of not having anything to work for.

The players seemed to play with a losing mentality...a mentality Victor Olapido definitely doesn't possess...YET.... It seems like his approach to the game..is to win. He attacked the basket relentlessly and was able to get contact multiple times. The officials even stop calling some of his drives. He went to the free throw line too much. I don't blame him for dominating the ball since no one else really wanted to be assertive. Also....Romero..Osby...looking better than Nicholson...

Cliffs?

Jk love you, O

but whatever..

Here's the order of importance for participants/observers with respect to summer league:

1. Unsigned FA's and 2nd rd picks

2. Fans (especially of crappy teams)

3. Rookies drafted in 1st rd

4. Players under contract

Does anyone think that maybe our coaching staff isn't developing the young talent like they should be? That maybe AN's regression (and it sounds like regression across the board for everyone not named Oladipo, even though I understand this is only Summer League), is a result of the Magic coaching and not AN himself? Just playin' devil's advocate here.

No. Look, bottom line Nicholson is a one trick pony on offense. He has that really crafty post move he does where he does like 5 ball and pump fakes all at once and when it works, it looks really good. The issue is once teams had film on him they knew how to defend him. Now those moves rarely work, and the issue with his whole offensive game is he is becoming a black hole when he does get it. He has no clue how to pass from the post, and his move takes about 8 seconds if not more to develop.

Now he does have a nice jumper, but the only way I see him really improving as a player is to either A) Increase his shooting range, or B Get quicker feat. Neither seem likely. And this is just on the offensive side of the ball, don't get me started on the other end of the court.

It's not like it was a terrible pick. I mean look at who went after him. Would you rather have Sullinger who has been out with a bad back for seemingly forever?

Another issue (I'm feeling like a hater at this point), but Andrew just isn't big enough to play the PF spot and that's a fact. People said last season "well he can bulk up". Problem is he was a 4 year guy in college it's not like putting weight on a 19 year old like Harkless. Nicholson looks the exact same size wise as last year, I would have liked to have seen him bulk up some but I don't think at his age were going to see some Harkless/Howard like transformation.

No. Look, bottom line Nicholson is a one trick pony on offense. He has that really crafty post move he does where he does like 5 ball and pump fakes all at once and when it works, it looks really good. The issue is once teams had film on him they knew how to defend him. Now those moves rarely work, and the issue with his whole offensive game is he is becoming a black hole when he does get it. He has no clue how to pass from the post, and his move takes about 8 seconds if not more to develop.

Now he does have a nice jumper, but the only way I see him really improving as a player is to either A) Increase his shooting range, or B Get quicker feat. Neither seem likely. And this is just on the offensive side of the ball, don't get me started on the other end of the court.

It's not like it was a terrible pick. I mean look at who went after him. Would you rather have Sullinger who has been out with a bad back for seemingly forever?

Another issue (I'm feeling like a hater at this point), but Andrew just isn't big enough to play the PF spot and that's a fact. People said last season "well he can bulk up". Problem is he was a 4 year guy in college it's not like putting weight on a 19 year old like Harkless. Nicholson looks the exact same size wise as last year, I would have liked to have seen him bulk up some but I don't think at his age were going to see some Harkless/Howard like transformation.

With all due respect, age doesn't really have anything to do with bulking up and if anything it's actually easier to put on muscle mass once you get a little older and your metabolism slows down a little. If you train right, eat right, and supplement right you will increase muscle mass. I think Nicholson looks a little bigger in the arms and across his chest, but his base is still scrawny and the bigger issue is that weight training isn't going to resolve his lack of athleticism or improve his lateral movement. The guy is a sloth...it's not hating, it's just reality.

It's summer league. Only things that really have been worrisome In my opinion are how bad Moe's shot form looks. Literally looks like a 10 year old trying to shoot with one hand just pushing the ball towards the rim. Finally looked like he found a shot last year but god his form and the shots themselves look bad.

Secondly, Nicholson just looks like a guy who is too much of a liability and ball stopper to really utilize. He's good decent post moves but he's not quick with them or overpowering. His defense and rebounding are both atrocious and he seems unwilling to pass out of the post. Is the 10-12 points he'll get you on a good night worth getting the offense stuck in the mud and playing 4v5 defensively?

Otherwise, hard to take it all seriously.

It's summer league. Only things that really have been worrisome In my opinion are how bad Moe's shot form looks. Literally looks like a 10 year old trying to shoot with one hand just pushing the ball towards the rim. Finally looked like he found a shot last year but god his form and the shots themselves look bad.

Secondly, Nicholson just looks like a guy who is too much of a liability and ball stopper to really utilize. He's good decent post moves but he's not quick with them or overpowering. His defense and rebounding are both atrocious and he seems unwilling to pass out of the post. Is the 10-12 points he'll get you on a good night worth getting the offense stuck in the mud and playing 4v5 defensively?

Otherwise, hard to take it all seriously.

Easier to take it seriously when several of your projected starters are playing and you're still getting beaten by journeymen from other teams.

Certainly agree with the guy who said our coaching is unproven at best. Have pointed out in prior posts that team regressed during the course of last season. People have posted a variety of explanations for that but it's certainly not a ringing endorsement of the current coaching crew.

Have pointed out in prior posts that team regressed during the course of last season.

What players do you believe regressed during the course of last season?

Don't say "the whole team". What specific people? I'm legitimately curious.

Saying that the players are regressing would suggest that the team was successful last season. How does a 20 win team regress?