Sign in to follow this  
D-BoFats

"Magic expected to offer Maggette the $5.8 million middle-class exception" (Povtak)

quote:
Originally posted by Miller4Prez64:

We are one of the front runners, but unfortunatly I think it will be too tempting for him to turn down San Antonio AND Boston to come to Orlando.

We are on the rise, He won't go to Boston and be a reserve.

He has to contemplate where he has the best chance to win, we are in the east, we have Howard, Lewis, and Hedo. Maggette would make us lethal offensively..

Tell me if i'm right or wrong here, if maggete signs a 5 year deal for around 10mill per with la on a s@t with the magic, and we send reddick and cook to la, woudn't that only take about 5 mill of our 10 mill we have to offer fa's? With the other 5 mill we could sign Doleac, Darrell Armstrong, Dee Brown, and Foyle. We have the heart and hustle reunion, oh and throw bo Outlaw in there to.

Nelson/Armstrong/Brown

Maggete/Bogans/Lee

Lewis/Turk

Battie/Doleac

Howard/Gortat/Foyle

Maggette isn't leaving in a S&T, the Clippers have to renounce him to sign Baron Davis, and now that teams know he can be had for the MLE, we have a TON of competition, and Corey has a TON of options. I thought the Davis thing was good for us, but it may end up hurting us.

quote:
Originally posted by Frank'N'Beans:

Tell me if i'm right or wrong here, if maggete signs a 5 year deal for around 10mill per with la on a s@t with the magic, and we send reddick and cook to la, woudn't that only take about 5 mill of our 10 mill we have to offer fa's?

I could be wrong, but I think if the Clips renounce their rights to Maggette (which they have to do in order to sign both Baron Davis and Elton Brand), they can't turn around and sign him to a contract and then trade him.

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

quote:
Originally posted by Frank'N'Beans:

Tell me if i'm right or wrong here, if maggete signs a 5 year deal for around 10mill per with la on a s@t with the magic, and we send reddick and cook to la, woudn't that only take about 5 mill of our 10 mill we have to offer fa's?

I could be wrong, but I think if the Clips renounce their rights to Maggette (which they have to do in order to sign both Baron Davis and Elton Brand), they can't turn around and sign him to a contract and then trade him.

If the Clips renounce the rights to Maggette then they can not resign him because they would not have any room under the cap. The MLE only comes to teams that have no cap space which is why Orlando could not resign Darko.

If Maggette comes back to the Magic then say bye bye to Maurice Evans and JJ WILL be traded. I would hope a sign and trade for Pietrus to back-up Maggette of course this would have to include Bogans and maybe Lee.

Quite possible Dooling would be gone too.

IMO they would then go after a PG like Anthony Carter or I would say give Livingston a chance. PF would be filled midway in the season when players start agreeing to buyouts.

PG Meer/Carter

SG Maggette/Pietrus

SF Turk/Lee

PF Lewis/Battie

C Howard/Gortat

quote:
Originally posted by Miller4Prez64:

Maggette isn't leaving in a S&T, the Clippers have to renounce him to sign Baron Davis, and now that teams know he can be had for the MLE, we have a TON of competition, and Corey has a TON of options. I thought the Davis thing was good for us, but it may end up hurting us.

It still helps. We can't compete with teams offering him anything over the MLE from a competitive financial stand point. At least this way, it levels the playing field.

quote:
After meeting with the Knicks today, Bulls free-agent point guard Chris Duhon is on to Orlando to meet with the Magic tomorrow. He was contacted by five teams on the first day of free agency: Cleveland, Sacramento, New York, Orlando and, in a bit of a surprise, Boston. The re-signing of Udrih should eliminate the Kings. Keep an eye on Duhon's dinner plans -- he could be meeting up with some current Magic players tomorrow. Players only get involved in free-agent recruitment when teams are truly serious about signing them.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=429942

Just curious where is this written about Maggette!!!! Shouldn't the Magic be serious about him also.... Where are our players, especially Jameer, he should be pushing for Maggette!!!!

In a hoopsword article there were a few nuggets both good and bad. The good is that Maggette says he wants to win and has made a lot of money already. The bad is that Boston seems to be ahead of us right now in pursuit of his services. I wish Otis would hold off on pursuing Duhon and start showing Maggette some serious love.

Boston's interest trumps Orlando's interest, because there are title possibilities. "I was very surprised they called. They just came off a championship," said Maggette in a phone interview with Boston Globe reporter Marc Spears. "It's not always about money

There are title possibilities in SA, BOS, or ORL (with him on the team). In BOS he is going to have to split time with Allen and Pierce. SA can offer him basically the same thing we can a starting spot and a chance at a championship. The only leg up we have on anyone is the family angle.

What ever happens is in Corey's hands at this point, the money and situations are about equal.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

There are title possibilities in SA, BOS, or ORL (with him on the team). In BOS he is going to have to split time with Allen and Pierce. SA can offer him basically the same thing we can a starting spot and a chance at a championship. The only leg up we have on anyone is the family angle.

What ever happens is in Corey's hands at this point, the money and situations are about equal.

Another advantage Orlando has over San Antonio is that Orlando is in the east, a much easier conference then the west. With San Antonio being a year older, their window for a championship is also smaller then Orlando's, another thing going in Orlando's favour.

quote:

Another advantage Orlando has over San Antonio is that Orlando is in the east, a much easier conference then the west. With San Antonio being a year older, their window for a championship is also smaller then Orlando's, another thing going in Orlando's favour.

Unfortunately that argument doesn't hold water when it comes to Boston.