Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Pre-Draft trades hurt Magic's plan?

There have now been two trades completed prior to the draft that give the Pacers the #17 selection, and the Bobcats the #20 selection.

IMO, both teams purposely moved ahead of the Magic because they have identical/similar needs as the Magic. Each team needs both a scoring/defending wing and a big man. So byt the time the magic draft, and other manuevering is complete, what will be left to fall to the Magic?

With other trades certain to be announced tonight, and Otis "wait and see what falls to us" philosophy, will the Magic be in a position to get who they want at #22?

There have now been two trades completed prior to the draft that give the Pacers the #17 selection, and the Bobcats the #20 selection.

IMO, both teams purposely moved ahead of the Magic because they have identical/similar needs as the Magic. Each team needs both a scoring/defending wing and a big man. So byt the time the magic draft, and other manuevering is complete, what will be left to fall to the Magic?

With other trades certain to be announced tonight, and Otis "wait and see what falls to us" philosophy, will the Magic be in a position to get who they want at #22?

Memphis wants Courtney Lee bad, and they want to trade with Charlotte. So I was all worried about that.

Now Hoopsworld is reporting the Rockets are about to trade their pick and Luther Head to the Wizards for their pick, and they will select Lee there.

This is not looking good...

Edit: Here is the link to the Hou-Wash trade:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9216

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

The problem is, we will never know.

Whoever we draft, Otis will insist that this was the guy they had at the top of their list all along.

But I don't think it will have that big of an impact because we are looking at several SGs and a boat load of C/PFs that are all rated very similarly. Those 2 teams can't take them all.

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

I've wanted CDR all along. If we get him, I will be satisfied.

The way things are shaping up now, CDR, Rush and Lee could all be gone by the time we pick at #22.

And Speights, Arthur, and Lopez could all be gone too.

I think CDR will be a solid role-player. We know what we get with him.

Courtney Lee has hidden gem potential, though. Small school, main issue is aggressiveness. Great skill, high IQ and high character. There's a reason so many teams are jockeying to get him.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

I've wanted CDR all along. If we get him, I will be satisfied.

The way things are shaping up now, CDR, Rush and Lee could all be gone by the time we pick at #22.

And Speights, Arthur, and Lopez could all be gone too.

I think that is a pretty unlikely scenario. The big guys you listed will probably be gone as will Rush but I bet both Lee and CDR will still be available when we are picking.

I don't think we have anything to worry about. Atleast 1 or 2 of those guys will be available, not too mention the always surprising drop from a guy who was projected to be picked in the lottery.

I'm not positive, but from the people that Otis has mentioned, it looks like he's looking for a defensive-minded 2-guard instead of a big.

In a way, this makes a lot of sense: it usually takes rookie big men a year or two before they get used the fact that EVERYONE in the NBA is as big as them and that they aren't in college anymore.

At a guess, I'd say Otis was thinking of going for a big man in free agency or perhaps developing/using one that we already have (Gortat, Battie, ...(fran)..., Augustine, Cook, etc). I'd still say we need someone who's a brutal defender and offensive rebounder (Okafor comes to mind), but I'd be perfectly happy if Otis drafts a defensive-minded 2.

Should be a deep draft this year: curious to see how it goes.