Sign in to follow this  
E27

Grading the 2007 NBA Free Agent Class (hoopsworld.com)

Vince Carter and Darko got better grades than Lewis? Are you kidding me?

They add:

quote:
The real shame would be if Lewis' contract prevents the Magic from re-signing Hedo Turkoglu, who had a breakout season in '07-'08

And why, hoopsworld, did Hedo have a breakout season? Rashard. You suck hoopsworld.

quote:
Originally posted by CRAZY SERB:

somebody mentioned the carter deal. it sucks, i agree. i actually laughed at thorn when i read that he gave VC that deal. but the difference is that the still can trade carter while lewis is UNTRADEABLE!!! the nets could get some contracts that expire in a year or two and for shard you probably won't even get zach randolph or an injured kenyon martin.

No one is untradeable so long as Isiah still has a job.

Wait... what's that?

He got fired?

Crap.

quote:
Originally posted by 30Assists:

'Shard got shafted. A career SF playing PF in the bruising East? And playing well?

Lets do a side by side:

Lewis: 18.2 (out of position)

Hill: 13.1

* Rebounds:

Lewis: 5.4 (on the team with the league's leader in this category and...playing out of position)

Hill: 5.0

* Assists:

Lewis: 2.4

Hill: 2.9 (whew! He won one!)

* Steals:

Lewis: 1.2

Hill: 0.9

* and the big one - Games Played:

Lewis: 81

Hill: 70

* Oh, and playoff games?

Lewis: 10

Hill: 3

I think the press can stop fellating the West now.

Break a leg, Grant - we're a MUCH better team without you.

there really is a difference but the difference isn't $114.2mill so i'm ok with his grades.

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

Vince Carter and Darko got better grades than Lewis? Are you kidding me?

VC and darko make $82.8mill combined while lewis gets $118mill. for that much money he'd have to average almost a triple double (25-10-8) to get a better grade

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

They add:

quote:
The real shame would be if Lewis' contract prevents the Magic from re-signing Hedo Turkoglu, who had a breakout season in '07-'08

And why, hoopsworld, did Hedo have a breakout season? Rashard. You suck hoopsworld.

SVG?

quote:

VC and darko make $82.8mill combined while lewis gets $118mill. for that much money he'd have to average almost a triple double (25-10-8) to get a better grade

I can't agree with this logic. You can't add up the production from 2 players and compare them to the production from 1 player.

That's like trying to compare the stats of a player that plays 40 minutes a game to a player that plays 20 minutes a game, and then criticizing the player that only playes 20 minutes for not putting up the same type of numbers as the 40 minute player.

Stupid article. Rashard was a great pickup for us. With money figured in, an average pickup yes, but without Rashard (and with GHill and Darko in his place) there's no way we would have had the kind of success we had.

IMO Rashard fit this team like a glove and is even played PF pretty well. The dude has talent and is versatile and proved in the playoffs he can be a big-time performer if we ask him to be. Ugh @ this article.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

quote:

I can't agree with this logic. You can't add up the production from 2 players and compare them to the production from 1 player.

That's like trying to compare the stats of a player that plays 40 minutes a game to a player that plays 20 minutes a game, and then criticizing the player that only playes 20 minutes for not putting up the same type of numbers as the 40 minute player.

but i've never compared darko's and VC's stats combined to rashard's. i just compared their salaries.

quote:

the rashard lewis signing was horrible and i totally agree with the grade. when you give $20mill per year to a player who deserves $7-9mill then it really is a horrible deal. $120mill for your 3rd best player? are you kiddin' me?

now i have a question for you guys: you take a 40 win team which was coached by bhill. you fire the idiot and hire SVG. how many wins you'll have at the end of the season?

i can't believe that some of you guys already forgot who was our coach last year. we should fire bhill every year after the season ends. it should become tradition in orlando.

second thing i wanna say is the "shard playing out of position"-thing. "playing out of position" actually made him a better player. he was a horrible defender in seattle guarding the opponents SFs. in orlando he guards the PFs and while he still sucks, he ain't nearly as bad of a defender as in his seattle days. on offense he does pretty much the same as he always did - he shoots the ball.

somebody mentioned the carter deal. it sucks, i agree. i actually laughed at thorn when i read that he gave VC that deal. but the difference is that the still can trade carter while lewis is UNTRADEABLE!!! the nets could get some contracts that expire in a year or two and for shard you probably won't even get zach randolph or an injured kenyon martin.

Rashard took one for the team when he played the PF spot last season. He also cut the amount of shots that he takes by a large amount for the team, similar to how the Boston's big three did so as well.

This team has three prolific scorers, and each has to split the amount of shots taken with each other, which is why they all average nearly the same amount of points (20.7, 19.5, 18.2).

I guess the guy needs to average 30+ in order to earn the contract.

Which adds to the argument that the signing was bad. Its not that Rashard is a bad player but that you overpayed a guy that didnt cover a need. You paid a guy franchise player money so he could play out of position and take the ball out of his hands.

quote:
Originally posted by KLR:

Which adds to the argument that the signing was bad. Its not that Rashard is a bad player but that you overpayed a guy that didnt cover a need. You paid a guy franchise player money so he could play out of position and take the ball out of his hands.

When we signed Rashard, Battie was healthy and Turk was still a guy coming off the bench. We didn't sign him to be our PF. We signed him to be our stud SF. Circumstances happen.

The money is not that bad. When VC signed that deal a few years back it was a lot of money. Jordan didn't make the same amount of money as Kobe or half the stars now, it's about economics at the current time. In 3 to 5 years from now, Shards contract when compared to the top athletes will be very reasonable. When Bron and the rest of them sign 150 mil plus contracts the 117 will be forgotten. Otis did what he had to do to secure the right guy at the right age for this club. You want to see a horrible contract look no further than Ben Wallace. Besides if Devos doesn't mind paying, why do you guys?

I'll say it again. The problem is Rashard's contract cut the possibilities of the team without completing it.

He can't complete the team, and his contract can't let the team get the pieces left to complete it. That's my view on this.

It is actually a hard thing to analyze considering he had a very positive impact on the team, and I like Rashard, but his signing, so far, won't bring ORL a championship while limiting the ability to bring ORL a championship.