Sign in to follow this  
jrjr1229

Goal this year

dante exum

Pretty sure he'll be in the 2015 draft, he's said he wants to play a year in college apparently. I agree though, he's awesome and I'd love him to play point guard for us.

Very sad that all anyone can come up with as goals for the upcoming season is that we'll stink badly enough to ensure a top 5 draft pick.

My goals:

1) Improve defensively.

2) Have the young players show consistent improvement throughout the year.

Related to both the above, we got worse last season as the season progressed. I don't want to see that pattern again this year.

3) Very few first half blow-outs. Too many games last year we got down by 25 and then everyone got all excited because we cut it to 12 or so with 5 minutes to go, before losing. Making games look respectable by scoring a lot after the game is out of reach and the other team lets up means almost nothing.

4) Related to #3, hold teams consistently under 60 in the first half (not a very high bar).

5) Maximum effort. Too much losing isn't good for the young players. They start to hang their heads whenever there is a tough stretch in a game because they get accustomed to believing they are going to lose.

6) More attention to Jacque Vaughn. In my opinion he's totally unproven at this point. I don't know if he can develop the young players properly or not. There needs to be more focus on him next season. No one should get a free pass, everyone should have milestones to meet during each season.....

You guys may disagree with all of this but at least I'd rather discuss something like this rather than speculating about whether we'll be bad enough to get the 3rd or just the 4th draft pick next year.

• Upvote 6

Very sad that all anyone can come up with as goals for the upcoming season is that we'll stink badly enough to ensure a top 5 draft pick.

My goals:

1) Improve defensively.

2) Have the young players show consistent improvement throughout the year.

Related to both the above, we got worse last season as the season progressed. I don't want to see that pattern again this year.

3) Very few first half blow-outs. Too many games last year we got down by 25 and then everyone got all excited because we cut it to 12 or so with 5 minutes to go, before losing. Making games look respectable by scoring a lot after the game is out of reach and the other team lets up means almost nothing.

4) Related to #3, hold teams consistently under 60 in the first half (not a very high bar).

5) Maximum effort. Too much losing isn't good for the young players. They start to hang their heads whenever there is a tough stretch in a game because they get accustomed to believing they are going to lose.

6) More attention to Jacque Vaughn. In my opinion he's totally unproven at this point. I don't know if he can develop the young players properly or not. There needs to be more focus on him next season. No one should get a free pass, everyone should have milestones to meet during each season.....

You guys may disagree with all of this but at least I'd rather discuss something like this rather than speculating about whether we'll be bad enough to get the 3rd or just the 4th draft pick next year.

To point #3, we had several key injuries during the second half of the season...not to mention a trade which sent away one of the teams most familiar players and brought in Harris. We didn't get worse, we got thin, younger, and possibly a little demoralized. That said, there were still several games that we had opportunities to win and simply didn't. I thought the guys fought pretty hard considering the surmounting losses.

I also agree but he is project mid to late 1st rounder. maybe with our second 1st.

No way is he a mid to late 1st. You're delusional if you don't think he'll be a lottery pick.

No way is he a mid to late 1st. You're delusional if you don't think he'll be a lottery pick.

I think we need to show imporvements, indivdual players need to improve in certain areas (Harkless/Harris need to develop better shooting and Oladipo aswell when he comes in to the league), improve defensively and buy in to a team based defense and implement it this year so that we can have a base to work off of the next few years, develop a go to post game for Vuch. We will need a high pick though, there are some very good players coming out next year based on what they've alraedy done, but as we all know we have to wait to see how these players play next season in college.

• Upvote 1

Here's a little personal goal: watch as little Magic basketball as possible this year. Rooting for your team to lose is quite conflicting and probably qualifies as self-destructing behavior...

Here's a little personal goal: watch as little Magic basketball as possible this year. Rooting for your team to lose is quite conflicting and probably qualifies as self-destructing behavior...

It makes me sad that people that call themselves "fans" actually -ROOT- for us to lose. I find that quite sad, honestly.

• Upvote 3

It makes me sad that people that call themselves "fans" actually -ROOT- for us to lose. I find that quite sad, honestly.

We've had this discussion before on this board and I think the consensus was people aren't necessarily rooting for losses but rather expecting them and taking consolation in knowing that there is actually potential long-term good that will come from us having a poor record. So rather than hating on the team and becoming frustrated, its an acceptance of the growing pains and the optimism that at the end of season all the losing will be worth it. This will obviously change as the expectations for the team change, which I imagine will be the beginning of the 2014-15 season.

• Upvote 1

This really does not make me feel any better :(

We've had this discussion before on this board and I think the consensus was people aren't necessarily rooting for losses but rather expecting them and taking consolation in knowing that there is actually potential long-term good that will come from us having a poor record. So rather than hating on the team and becoming frustrated, its an acceptance of the growing pains and the optimism that at the end of season all the losing will be worth it. This will obviously change as the expectations for the team change, which I imagine will be the beginning of the 2014-15 season.

But this does :D

Not watch the games?

Why wouldn't you want to take this chance to see the young guys in action, to watch them develop and grow?

Rooting for them to lose is very different than accepting the direction and current position of the team. The team is simply not doing anything and everything to win now. The focus is not win now. If that bothers some fans, so be it. The focus is to rebuild correctly, with a strong foundation, and put us in a better position for the future. It sure seems to be working so far, and I, for one, am eagerly watching this turnaround.