Sign in to follow this  
CARLY

arenas has opted out!

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:
Originally posted by MAGICFAN4EVA1:

I feel bad for Arenas. The only teams that can afford him are like the Knicks and Dallas. Jamison is just a little over the MLE. I think if we trade turkoglu and another player we could do it.

I have no idea where you get your information but its way off base. The Knicks and Mavericks are WAY over the salary cap. The only way they can get Arenas is if he accepted the midlevel exception from one of them (which isn't happening) or a sign and trade which isn't likely (although maybe Dallas could offer some pieces that the Wizards would be interested in).

Lol i didnt even notice that he said Knicks and Mavs. Dont they have like the 2 highest salaries in the NBA

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

quote:
-A word on Gilbert Arenas, who filed the paperwork to opt out on Friday: Everything I can gather tells me that he will be in a Wizards uniform next season. I see the Wizards offering as much as it takes to keep him - yes, that means the max - and him taking it.

- That said, I see two darkhorses out there and I do mean darkhorses.

1. Arenas is notoriously quirky, he grew up in Los Angeles and loves the Lakers. Just throwing that out there. Obviously, he'd have to take way less to pull such a move but he'd also know that he'd make a ton of money back in marketing.

2. Arenas is very close with Orlando GM Otis Smith from Smith's days with Golden State. With Howard, Lewis and Turkoglu, the Magic has pieces in place. The downside, other than taking less money, would be that Orlando is not a big market and I see Arenas wanting to go no smaller than DC.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2008/06/workouts_continue_1.html

I wouldn't mind Arenas as our SG and getting a true PF so we could bring Turk off the bench. I know its a pipedream, but who cares; "The offseason, where pipedreams happen" lol.

If he was worried about going to a potential championship team then i would think that LA would have the upperhand on us due to the fact that they are in the finals now.

True, but Arenas LOVES the spotlight. Going to LA will put him in the shadows of #24. If he comes here, he'll be "that guy". Also, his favorite player of all-time is Penny Hardaway. What could make him more happy then to be to Dwight, what Penny was to Shaq.

(Arenas + Dwight) + Jameer + Rashard + Turk = DYNASTY

All we need is Haslem

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:
-A word on Gilbert Arenas, who filed the paperwork to opt out on Friday: Everything I can gather tells me that he will be in a Wizards uniform next season. I see the Wizards offering as much as it takes to keep him - yes, that means the max - and him taking it.

1. Arenas is notoriously quirky, he grew up in Los Angeles and loves the Lakers. Just throwing that out there. Obviously, he'd have to take way less to pull such a move but he'd also know that he'd make a ton of money back in marketing.

2. Arenas is very close with Orlando GM Otis Smith from Smith's days with Golden State. With Howard, Lewis and Turkoglu, the Magic has pieces in place. The downside, other than taking less money, would be that Orlando is not a big market and I see Arenas wanting to go no smaller than DC.

I wouldn't mind Arenas as our SG and getting a true PF so we could bring Turk off the bench. I know its a pipedream, but who cares; "The offseason, where pipedreams happen" lol.

If he was worried about going to a potential championship team then i would think that LA would have the upperhand on us due to the fact that they are in the finals now.

True, but Arenas LOVES the spotlight. Going to LA will put him in the shadows of #24. If he comes here, he'll be "that guy". Also, his favorite player of all-time is Penny Hardaway. What could make him more happy then to be to Dwight, what Penny was to Shaq.

we would probably have to do a sign and trade to get him though. Theres no way he leaves Washington for the MLE unless Wash does something to pi$$ him off

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

(Arenas + Dwight) + Jameer + Rashard + Turk = DYNASTY

All we need is Haslem

Great find! I'm certain Gilbert would love to play in Orlando. Yet I don't see how in the world we could get him.

Guys, I know its fun to dream...I just hope no one is serious about getting him. Its impossible, he is going to want way more money than we could possibly offer and our division rivals are not going to do a sign and trade to send their best player to us.

You want Arenas on your team? Draft him in your fantasy league.

Since he's doing his own negotiations (no agent), all it would take is for Wash to lowball him $$$ or years and he'd walk away. Of all the players in the history of the league, Arenas is the only one crazy enough to do things the not-so traditional way. What better way to piss off your former boss then to go work for one of his competitors AND the man who had a helping hand in drafting you into the league?

Wow, Nyce! What a find!! I'm with you man, you never know you just never know.

Who thought Shaq was going to the Suns? Who thought Shaq was gonna leave Orlando? Who thought Vince was gonna stay in New Jersey? Ha-Ha!

Interesting, very interesting.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Wow, Nyce! What a find!! I'm with you man, you never know you just never know.

Who thought Shaq was going to the Suns? Who thought Shaq was gonna leave Orlando? Who thought Vince was gonna stay in New Jersey? Ha-Ha!

Interesting, very interesting.

Do you know what the difference is in those scenarios? Those players got paid....Arenas is not going to leave 12 million dollars a year on the table to play for us. He definitely marches to his own beat but he isn't that crazy. If he is then he probably shouldn't be allowed to walk the streets without supervision.

They said on ESPN today that he was looking for (and expecting) a max deal (about $19 mil a year)

I doubt he'll get that coming off two major surgeries but I wouldn't be suprised if he actually gets something closer to $15 1/2 Mil range.

arenas would make 12,800,000. the magic only have 5.5 million to spend unless we trade some contracts. If we trade Redick and Hedo thats enough for Washington in a sign and trade deal to make us give Arenas a 4 year long contract or even 5 years. So our lineup would be small

Nelson

Arena

Lewis

Battie

Howard