Sign in to follow this  
Nick Anderson 4 President

Would you take a chance on Shaun Livingston??? (Update Pg. 2)

"It's not always best to take need over talent in the NBA draft, but with long-term concerns over injured guard Shaun Livingston, it would be a shock if the Clippers didn't take a guard with the seventh pick. Livingston destroyed his left knee after landing awkwardly following a missed layup against Charlotte in February 2007, tearing the anterior cruciate ligament, the posterior cruciate ligament, and the lateral meniscus. The fourth overall pick in 2004 missed last season and it's uncertain when he will play again. An NBA source said the Clippers aren't expected to make Livingston a qualifying offer (the lowest starts at $5.8 million), making him an unrestricted free agent July 1. But with major knee concerns, it's uncertain the Clippers, or any team, will be rushing to sign him. According to the source, Livingston can't work out back-to-back days and needs about 90 minutes of therapy before doing noncontact basketball drills. There is speculation he might not be able to play at the NBA level again. What made Livingston special: he is a point guard with Magic Johnson-like height, at 6 feet 7 inches. But if he returns without his spectacular quickness, he could move to the small forward position."

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/article...pack/?page=2','130')

I'm not sure how much credibility there is to this report coming from Boston, but if there was, do you think it would be worth it to take a chance on Livingston? He is a 6'7" PG, so if he was able to come back healthy, what a steal that would be for us. But of course we all still feel the pain from the Ghost of Grant Hill, so I imagine that would lead most of us to say heck to the no!

What do you think it would take to get him?

However, if Shaun could be picked up on the cheap, would you go for it?

"It's not always best to take need over talent in the NBA draft, but with long-term concerns over injured guard Shaun Livingston, it would be a shock if the Clippers didn't take a guard with the seventh pick. Livingston destroyed his left knee after landing awkwardly following a missed layup against Charlotte in February 2007, tearing the anterior cruciate ligament, the posterior cruciate ligament, and the lateral meniscus. The fourth overall pick in 2004 missed last season and it's uncertain when he will play again. An NBA source said the Clippers aren't expected to make Livingston a qualifying offer (the lowest starts at $5.8 million), making him an unrestricted free agent July 1. But with major knee concerns, it's uncertain the Clippers, or any team, will be rushing to sign him. According to the source, Livingston can't work out back-to-back days and needs about 90 minutes of therapy before doing noncontact basketball drills. There is speculation he might not be able to play at the NBA level again. What made Livingston special: he is a point guard with Magic Johnson-like height, at 6 feet 7 inches. But if he returns without his spectacular quickness, he could move to the small forward position."

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/article...pack/?page=2','130')

I'm not sure how much credibility there is to this report coming from Boston, but if there was, do you think it would be worth it to take a chance on Livingston? He is a 6'7" PG, so if he was able to come back healthy, what a steal that would be for us. But of course we all still feel the pain from the Ghost of Grant Hill, so I imagine that would lead most of us to say heck to the no!

What do you think it would take to get him?

However, if Shaun could be picked up on the cheap, would you go for it?

i jus posted on this on the artest thread. yes i would. clips r gonna let him go, other teams are weary for the same reason. i think we should bring him in cheap for 3rd string duties, let him take his rehad slow and maybe he'll be ready to contribute midway thru the year or by the time if someone gets hurt. however i do think it would be risky to bring him in as the 2nd string.

could we use this LLE or vet exception (like 1.3 mill or something like that) that i keep hearing about for him. dont know if he qualifies as a vet if that is a prerequisite but that would almost certainly be enough and wouldnt be painful at all to have him at that for 3 years or so (hell weve spent that much on frans holdout)

quote:
Originally posted by ufballer86:

i jus posted on this on the artest thread. yes i would. clips r gonna let him go, other teams are weary for the same reason. i think we should bring him in cheap for 3rd string duties, let him take his rehad slow and maybe he'll be ready to contribute midway thru the year or by the time if someone gets hurt. however i do think it would be risky to bring him in as the 2nd string.

could we use this LLE or vet exception (like 1.3 mill or something like that) that i keep hearing about for him. dont know if he qualifies as a vet if that is a prerequisite but that would almost certainly be enough and wouldnt be painful at all to have him at that for 3 years or so (hell weve spent that much on frans holdout)

I 110% agree on your stance. If we could get him that cheaply, why not use him as 3rd string for a year or two until he really gets his knee to tip top shape. Being that he's still very young, I would hope that he wouldn't mind taking a small contract for a few years (3yr deal?) so that he can prove to everyone if all goes well that he is worth more on the next contract.

Idk, the kind of injury Livingston suffered was nasty bad, to the point it has been always doubted if he could ever play again.

If he ever comes back, he probably would have lost quickness and would have to play limited minutes or play SF.

If the team can somehow, get some guarantee that he will at least be able to play as PG, maybe he could be used as a backup or 3rd stringer in limited minutes.

I hope he can comeback, he had a bright future.

Guys I would seriously rethink this. There were alot of people labeling him a bust when he still had two working knees. Even if he could somehow get back to the NBA, and I really doubt that, he will never come close to regaining that explosiveness that made him an intriguing prospect.

In case anyone is curious, Sean can not currently play on consecutive days right now. A team taking him on would be signing him for the future. One team that is specualted to take a chance is Dallas. They can stash him on the IR and let him learn behind Kidd.

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Anderson 4 President:

"It's not always best to take need over talent in the NBA draft, but with long-term concerns over injured.

The bold is where I stopped. Have we not learned from past mistakes? INTERN!

LOL. All I'm saying is if we could get him for uber cheap, why not give him the 14th or 15th spot on the roster?

It's one thing to have Grant Hill marinating on the bench for 7 years making 100s of millions of dollars. It's another to have Livingston on our bench for 1.5 mil a yr for 3yrs. See my point?

Sure he more than likely won't have his explosiveness anymore, but that's not the only characteristic that makes a player worth something at PG. The fact that he is a 6'7" PG alone is very intriguing, regardless of how explosive he is. If he could still play some good defense, I wouldn't mind that he isn't as quick on the offensive end as he used to be.

Bottom line, I'm not saying we should pay him the big bucks, but if he was willing to come for very cheap and prove himself over a couple years, I say let's do it.