Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Ron Artest could be availible for the Mid level- How bout it, Otis?(Steve Kyler)

what about livingston catman, clips say they arent goin to extend his nearly 6 mill tender offer making him an UFA. i think he could be had for cheap since he missed the season with a knee injury. bring him in as the 3rd string point, let him take his rehab slow this summer and maybe he'll be ready for some pt by midseason or at least by the time if anyone gets hurt

A concern anybody can have about Ron is that he doesn't look like the type of player a coach with the right character can put in place.... so he could be a problem anywhere.

Out of curiosity. An honest question to analyze:

If Ron = championship, why didn't the Pacers win a championship when he was part of a competitive Pacers squad?

I know there could be many reasons... but I would like to read an analysis from the people who have most likely watched more NBA than me.

quote:
Originally posted by NotByChoice:

We need Artest to strike fear into the hearts of Detroit Piston fans.

Could you please add : fear to the heart of Magic organization. Artest is like Cancer, He doesn't have remedy.

Artest is a very talented player, good on both sides of the floor.His only downside is that he is crazy and might do something stupid either on or off the court. But if a team can get him somehow inspired it just might work. I think he is a good risk to take for a small and short contract.

On paper Ron Artest would be GREAT for the magic. I completely agree.

...until our first big loss in which he would open up his big ego and start to piss off our star players who quite frankly probably cant relate themselves to his big ego whatsoever. then it would be Ron-Ron against the magic just like he's use to. then locker room/practice productivity fails.

theres a reason why players like that never win championships. its called a failure to navigate adversity via strong confidence/chemistry with your teamates and coaches.

The guys still having off the court issues. Not to mention what his shrink might say.

Count me in as one who wants him and thinks he could bring us a championship. The Pacers have stunk since they traded him. He is one of the best two-way players in the game. Plus, with Otis acting as his personal shrink/life coach, he would be in a highly structured environment, which he needs. I don't see it happening, but it is a nice dream.

If the Ron Artest = Championship bandwagon is in the Tampa area go ahead and pick me up too..

Many have tried with Artest and failed but I do not remember hearing his name in anything bad last year. I think short term would definitely be the way because I think he can only handle himself in one area for a short time.

Overall I think he could work here plus Ron and the Warlock could record a Polish rap album together.

quote:
Originally posted by Catman:

We are probably not getting Artest and we are probably not getting Magette.

And just as a preemptive, "I live in a world of fantasy" strike, we aren't getting Elton Brand either.

I agree that Artest is farfetched because A) he probably won't opt out and B) I still doubt Devos will sign a guy with a shady reputation.

There is a big difference between Maggette/Artest and Brand. Maggette and Artest (if they opt out) will both be signed to midlevel exception deals. Artest has the talent where he should command more but the huge risk factor that comes along with that talent will keep him at the midlevel area. Maggette is a good player but he isn't a superstar. There aren't many teams that could offer him more than the midlevel and I will be really shocked if one does.

Brand is a no brainer max contract player and only a few teams will compete against the Clippers for his services.

i remember artest topping the list that the best players in the league (kobe,lebron,melo..) just didn't like playing against, that says something for his defense... and i think the pacers could have been on a championship run if it weren't for that brawl, stephen jackson, artest, j. o'neal, i'm not sure if granger was there, but that's a pretty stacked squad to have and i'm forgetting people, i'm sure the nba told them to pack it up after the fight or something.... and also it looked like a rick carslile made team, just like the pistons that took out the magic in the first place and went on to win a championship, didn't he get hired somewhere again? i'd watch out for how he builds that team.

If he opts out and signs with the Knicks for the MLE, he would be giving them a hometown discount. He wants to play for the Knicks.

I doubt he would do that to come here, yet if he does go to the Knicks, I predict Otis will get crucified for not getting him.

I'm on the wagon too. I think Otis, Stan, and the good characteristics of Dwight, Rashard, & Jameer will influence him.

I've been on the bandwagon

this dude is exactly what we need...a banger who can play defense (still is one of the best in the game) and can rebound

and he does what Otis wants him to do...he can shoot

Dwight

Artest

Lew

Turk or FA or Draft pick

Meer

makes us uber, uber dangerous, IMO