Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Otis confirms Magic's interest in Speights(UF) - Many players to workout(Povtak)

I don't know about the work ethic coz.

From DraftExpress

quote:

All in all, we still feel pretty strongly about the fact that if Speights is somehow able to harness all the talent he shows and put it all together over the next few years, he will be looked back at as a player that clearly should have been drafted in the lottery. With that said, we can see why he isn

Honestly guys, for the way that we want to go... Speights is a perfect option for us IF we want Dorsey as well... We really don't need another big man who's restricted to the key and will clog up the lane, not allowing Dwight to operate. How I see it, we need a low-post, high-post, x2 wingmen and a PG. I think what you guys are suggesting is the TWO low-post thing, sorta like PHX with Amare and Shaq but that did not work out. Speights is able to operate from the high-post AND low-post, he's a great rebounder and he's pretty strong and athletic, AND he can block shots... He's what we need, no some guy who's gonna keep his defender in the key and cause extra TO's for Dwight. Someone to just help Dwight on D and clean up the boards and give us some second chance opportunities.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:
Originally posted by NotByChoice:

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/chad-ford-video-blog-...d-speights/129907247

This guy looks like he can be the next Amare Stoudemire but based on what people say around here he could turn out to be the next Stromile Swift. I think at #22 we would have to select him it sounds like he would compliment Dwight nicely.

I don't think he'll be there at 22 though somebody will bite on a guy with that kind of size and offensive ability, despite whatever they've heard about his attitude or work ethic.

Oh for ****'s sake, can we stop with the ******* videos? We get it, someone can make someone else look good in a youtube video. Hell, give me a few hours, and I'll make myself look like a future All-NBA shooting guard. There are highlight videos of Kwame Brown and Darko. They mean nothing.

And why anyone would quote Chad Ford's opinion on anything is beyond me. This is the guy who convinced America that Darko couldn't miss, and has made a career out of being wrong at every interval and never admitting it. Like Mel Kiper, but even less informed.

Sorry, I didn't mean to insult your intelligence. I edited my post.

I went to the UF-Alabama game last year when Speights was a freshman. The gators were down by more than 15 when speights came off the bench, grabbed a few offensive boards on consecutive possessions and muscled them back up and in. His toughness sparked a comeback and we ended up winning the game in the last 10 of the second half.

I remember turning to my buddy and telling him how tough this freshman was. Speights like any rookie will be up and down, but his toughness will grow practicing next to Dwight, and it does exist.

My criticism of Speights has nothing to do with wanting UF to be strong next season. I am a Magic fan first and foremost so what happens to UF takes a back seat for me.

Some of you have mentioned that it's a conditioning issue and that as he progresses and is around an NBA caliber staff this will not be an issue. Doesn't conditioning and work ethic go hand in hand? In my experience conditioning is all about working hard, if he can't or does not choose to work hard when NBA dollars are on the line what is going to happen when he already has the money? If it's a learning issue, how did he not pick up on the level of work that is needed to be successful (and get drafted higher) from Noah and Horford?

Fendi quoted this from DraftExpress-

What we want to know is: how bad could his work ethic be if he went from barely being considered a top-50 high school recruit to one of the most skilled big men in the draft and a potential lottery pick in the span of just two years? Like so many players in this whacky draft, though, he

I agree with Killin and Marc here. I believe we could get a proven SG at 22 (CDR or Rush) instead of taking a chance with a questionable big. I am actually floored how much potential trumps proven ability in the draft. Here Rush tore up the Big 12 tournament and NCAA tournament, is a 6'7'' two-way player, yet is not a lotto pick. Meanwhile CDR was a first team All-American who absolutely dominated the NCAA tournament both ways but isn't a top 20 pick as a 6'7'' SG? What a joke. Give me one of those guys at 22 and a big at a later obtained pick.

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

I agree with Killin and Marc here. I believe we could get a proven SG at 22 (CDR or Rush) instead of taking a chance with a questionable big. I am actually floored how much potential trumps proven ability in the draft. Here Rush tore up the Big 12 tournament and NCAA tournament, is a 6'7'' two-way player, yet is not a lotto pick. Meanwhile CDR was a first team All-American who absolutely dominated the NCAA tournament both ways but isn't a top 20 pick as a 6'7'' SG? What a joke. Give me one of those guys at 22 and a big at a later obtained pick.

I hear what you are saying Soul Bro... but if potential wasn't taken into account, would we have taken Dwight with the first pick?

I guess it's a matter of how much potential vs. how much proven talent? Or maybe the ceiling on the proven guys vs projected ceiling on the potential guys? You have to have some balance and some sort of weight to compare and make that choice.

Which is more difficult, to pass on a proven talent that can produce right away but may never bring significantly more to the table, or to pass on a guy that needs a couple years to develop, but has the potential to be an all-star?

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:

I hear what you are saying Soul Bro... but if potential wasn't taken into account, would we have taken Dwight with the first pick?

I guess it's a matter of how much potential vs. how much proven talent? Or maybe the ceiling on the proven guys vs projected ceiling on the potential guys? You have to have some balance and some sort of weight to compare and make that choice.

Which is more difficult, to pass on a proven talent that can produce right away but may never bring significantly more to the table, or to pass on a guy that needs a couple years to develop, but has the potential to be an all-star?

Good post. Three thoughts. First, Speights already is struggling with weight issues. Why should we believe he will be better in a much more demanding game and season in the pros? I don't buy it. Second, unfortunately this organization can't afford to miss in this draft. We must get someone who can contribute. And third, "potential" in the 20s is a heck of a lot different than "potential" in the top 5. If someone is caring that "potential" label that low there is usually a pretty significant red flag.

quote:

Good statements. It got me asking, what goes into turning potential into realized/maximized production?

quote:

quote:

Good post. Three thoughts. First, Speights already is struggling with weight issues. Why should we believe he will be better in a much more demanding game and season in the pros? I don't buy it. Second, unfortunately this organization can't afford to miss in this draft. We must get someone who can contribute. And third, "potential" in the 20s is a heck of a lot different than "potential" in the top 5. If someone is caring that "potential" label that low there is usually a pretty significant red flag.

I agree, and let me makes this clear for anyone else lol, I'm not a big fan of Speights. We need guys who are competitive. JJ competitive, but able to earn playing time on the team, and provide significant contributions. Now, I admit I haven't seen much from him, but from what I hear, he lacks focus and heart. We need that desire, that fire, and I think anyone painted with the potential brush needs to show this as well. I think it's the biggest key to the development of said potential.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

Speights + SVG = Motivational Play

Possibly & you never know. But, the coaching graveyard is litered with the bones of coaches who found this equation is more predictable (Talented Player - Motivational Play = Underachiever).

When Billy D. says his team lacks the will, desire, & effort to fulfill their potential, and has no reason to believe it will change between this season & next, that concerns me when discussing the best player on that team.