Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Magic Man? Orlando closely evaluating Gary Forbes(UMass)-Povtak

I scrolled down to the bottom of an article this morning in the Sentinel about Parick Ewing Jr. It said to go to page D7 to find out about Gary Forbes, a possible Magic selection. When I tried to click on it I got nothing.

So, I rode to a local jiffy store and bought me a copy of the Sentinel.

Here's what it says and it's written by Povtak:

MAGIC MAN?

A quick look at a player the Magic are evaluating closely this week at the NBA Predraft Camp.

Gary Forbes -

School: Massachusetts

Position: Guard/Forward

Size: 6-7, 220

Pros: Knows how to get shots and score. He led the Draft Camp with a 21.3 point average and hit 27 of 33 free throws in three games. Would make a good NBA swingman because he can score inside and out.

Cons: There are questions about his defensive ability.

The Buzz: Helped himself at this camp, likely moving up to the top of the second round, even possibly into the bottom of the first.

Anybody know anything about this guy or care to comment?

Her's the Sentinel link and you can scroll down to the bottom of the Ewing article to see where it talks about Forbes if you wish:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-nbacamp3108may31,0,447220.story

I scrolled down to the bottom of an article this morning in the Sentinel about Parick Ewing Jr. It said to go to page D7 to find out about Gary Forbes, a possible Magic selection. When I tried to click on it I got nothing.

So, I rode to a local jiffy store and bought me a copy of the Sentinel.

Here's what it says and it's written by Povtak:

MAGIC MAN?

A quick look at a player the Magic are evaluating closely this week at the NBA Predraft Camp.

Gary Forbes -

School: Massachusetts

Position: Guard/Forward

Size: 6-7, 220

Pros: Knows how to get shots and score. He led the Draft Camp with a 21.3 point average and hit 27 of 33 free throws in three games. Would make a good NBA swingman because he can score inside and out.

Cons: There are questions about his defensive ability.

The Buzz: Helped himself at this camp, likely moving up to the top of the second round, even possibly into the bottom of the first.

Anybody know anything about this guy or care to comment?

Her's the Sentinel link and you can scroll down to the bottom of the Ewing article to see where it talks about Forbes if you wish:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-nbacamp3108may31,0,447220.story

quote:
The day started at 9:15 AM with a game between Team three and Team two, giving us another chance to take a look at camp standout Gary Forbes. The UMass senior was not quite as impressive as he was in the first two outings, but still ended up having a solid game with 17 points and 4 rebounds on 4-11 shooting in 24 minutes. Forbes put more emphasis on showing off his long-range game today, which he did quite successfully by knocking down both of his 3-point attempts. He again made smart decisions with the ball and showed a very advanced ability to create his own shot from the perimeter, looking aggressive as usual taking the ball to the basket, and getting to the free throw line at a great clip once again (this time 10 times). Defensively, he again looked below average at best thanks to his underwhelming lateral quickness. Regardless, he

By what Nyce posted, just looked like the Sentinel's getting all excited about what guys do in the camp while NBA GMs know better than that.

Question:

Based on what I've read on the above posts, how can a guy be, "below average defensively because of his underwhelming lateral quickness", yet, "show an advanced ability to create his 'own' shot from the perimeter"?

In other words, wouldn't you have to have lateral quickness to be able to create your own shot consistently like this guy does?

Positives: Tough, physical forward who knows how to score, both inside and out. Good rebounder. Can be a physical defender.

Negatives: He's a tweener. Still finding his range on his jump shot. Poor shot selection at times. Can over-dominate the ball. Lacks great quickness.

Summary: Forbes could be an interesting prospect if he can prove to scouts that he can be a swingman in the pros. So far, he's a work in progress. He'll need an excellent camp in Orlando to prove he has what it takes to play on the wing in the NBA.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/playe...19258&draftyear=2008

From resident ESPN draft expert Chad Ford:

quote:

I spent Thursday watching games and talking to NBA scouts and executives. Here is what they're saying about Thursday's performances:

UMass forward Gary Forbes continues to be the talk of the camp. Forbes had a stellar 30 points in just 25 minutes of play. He was 7-for-16 from the field and 15-for-16 from the free-throw line.

Forbes is a bit of an oddity in this year's draft. He got virtually no buzz from NBA scouts despite averaging nearly 20 points and eight rebounds a game in the Atlantic 10. Forbes was seen as a tweener, a power forward who's just too short to play the position in the pros. However, he had already started to make the transition to the wing his senior season and continues to give scouts hope he can be a wing in the pros.

He was excellent in Portsmouth, averaging 15.6 points. But he's been even better in Orlando, using his strength and athleticism to attack the basket.

Forbes has solidified his place as a legit second-round pick with the camp.

If you click the link ESPN highlights the Orlando camp with a picture of Forbes:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?c...andostockwatch080530

I have never heard of this guy so its hard for me to make a judgment on him. Still, it sounds like he is a subpar defender (against guys who are mostly second round picks) and if that ESPN article is correct he's only played the position one year. I'm sure the Magic will take a look at him but honestly if Courtney Lee is available in the second round I hope we take him over Forbes.