Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Will Mr. Devos pay the luxury tax?

quote:
Originally posted by jack l j: i still feel the ariza trade was a mistake even though evans has been a surprise. letting darko go in the lewis mess was also a big mistake.

You are displaying your ignorance. You might want to look at what Ariza and Darko have done since leaving the Magic.

thanks cac67. i believe you will see that next year ariza will do well if he recovers from injury. as for darko i said the jury is still out on him but we should have worked it out to keep him. he could be a player before hes done. my point was to point out anagement mistakes. i only mentioned a few but i could have said fran, grant, coaches, etc. but i would think you would get it. why dont you ask smack about the management decision, he knows much more than i do and could explain it more clearly for you. jacklj

quote:
Originally posted by jack l j:

thanks cac67. i believe you will see that next year ariza will do well if he recovers from injury. as for darko i said the jury is still out on him but we should have worked it out to keep him. he could be a player before hes done. my point was to point out anagement mistakes. i only mentioned a few but i could have said fran, grant, coaches, etc. but i would think you would get it. why dont you ask smack about the management decision, he knows much more than i do and could explain it more clearly for you. jacklj

Darko played well alongside Dwight (at times), but not well enough to command the money he wanted from Otis.

I think the Ariza trade will work out in our favor, from what I ahve read and heard, his injury is not something that will go away, its pretty much with him and he has to learn to deal with it? Maybe someone with a better understanding can clear that up.

Ariza will flourish in the triangle if hes healthy. I do believe Otis pulled a fast one on LA as from what ive heard, his foot isnt good.

Darko has talent, no doubt. But I would have been hesitant to give him 8 mil a year whether we got Lewis or not.

On any given night, I just dont believe anyone knows what there gonna get from Darko, and we all know we have enough inconsistancy on this team already.

Time will tell on both of those moves but right now, it favors us I think

I do expect RDV or BVW to pay the luxury tax. But to expect them to pay like the Nuggets, who paid 44 million this past season is a no. We are a small market team.

i think LA took a good risk on ariza. assuming that ariza comes back, and according to LA times, he is already practicing with the team...then they definitely won the trade. brian cook straight up sucks, and evans isnt that good. let him walk, for the love of god! or atleast S&T him to someone for a draft pick or something.

i am not enamored with evans like many here are. he isnt a very good shooter, he disappeared during the playoffs, and he cant play D very well.

Devos has shown that he will, but he'll resist when the team gets into the red.

The caveat is the new dynamic with the team in BVW's hands. Is the team operating on a budget?

I think the answer to this question was answered at the trade deadline.

I simply can't see Devos handing the reign over to his son inlaw with an unlimited budget and I'm going to be very surprised in this family still owns this team within a year or two of the new arena opening.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

The caveat is the new dynamic with the team in BVW's hands. Is the team operating on a budget?

Ouch! Since I know you have connections within the Magic organization this reponse makes me cringe.

We are destined to be a bridesmaid in the NBA playoffs and not a bride.

This organization better get off it's butt this summer(Otis) and get some pieces in here to help us compete with the Pistons, Celtics, Spurs and Lakers of the world.

Please Otis! Fix this roster!!!

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:

Ouch! Since I know you have connections within the Magic organization this reponse makes me cringe.

This organization better get off it's butt this summer(Otis) and get some pieces in here to help us compete with the Pistons, Celtics, Spurs and Lakers of the world.

I no longer have any connections within the Magic organization, at least in terms of management. My last contact in management left somewhere between the Fran Vazquez draft & the following season I believe. But, through the years when I had numerous contacts in management & ownership, it makes reading between the lines, and filling in the blanks a lot easier moving forward.

Seeing how information is disseminated out of RDV and knowing the truth behind the stories makes the Magic MO rather transparent moving forward.

Examples, it became very obvious last year this organization wouldn't AND couldn't resign Darko despite Otis' previous claims for the entire calendar year prior as well as leading up to free agency.

I spent all last season believing the organization would target Vince Carter in free agency and all indications were they would. But, it became very apparent late last year Rashard was the target, and he clearly was.

It's also why I knew the only way this organization would consider firing Brian Hill was if it became obvious they were staring at a PR problem. Coaching competency was never going to be a driving force in their decision at that point in his tenure.

Even with the PR concerns, it was a move they made reluctantly, and put on Otis entirely. That's the Magic MO. Play the game, you get rewarded. Take a bullet for us & we'll take care of you. That's why Guakos is on the broadcast team, Pat Williams still has a no show 7 figure salary with RDV, & hockey boy is unemployed.

In training camp of this year, it became very obvious to me Otis wasn't going to do jack with the expiring contracts. I was an Otis hater for claiming that. Sure enough, he didn't. In fact, the only serious speculation we were even linked to was for another player with an expiring contract. Not exactly the vision many were clinging to last summer.

I'm speculating, call it an educated deduction, but there's really only one reason for allowing 12M is assets to go to waist & even more if you want to go back to last summer. It sure wasn't the inability to acquire talent, that's a fairy tale. Ask LA how valuable expiring contracts are.

This puts an even bigger premium on the decisions Otis makes because there is no margin for error. Signing players like Battie & Jameer to mindless extensions have even greater consequences. Signing Rashard to a mindless bloated contract has an even greater consequence. Because, we're pinning ALL our hopes on these guys. We're married to THESE guys!

When one falls short, like Battie, we're left with a gapping hole. If Lewis isn't an All-Star, we'll be left with a team incapable of being a contender. Simple as that! We aren't Dallas. We won't waist 10+M on Micheal Finley and just move on. We're suffer with him.

Furthermore, it doesn't take inside knowledge to KNOW the only reason Devos didn't sell this team is because he didn't receive an offer anywhere close to his asking price. Solution? Make the team more marketable. How? New Arena, assets, profitable. New Arena, check. Dwight Howard long term deal, check. Profitable, big time check this year.

I haven't heard quite enough to step out and make another prediction, but I'm not going to be surprised if this organization is seriously entertaining the idea of trading Hedo. No, not because he duplicates the same position with Rashard. That might be a convienent excuse, but it won't be the reason.

Because his value is at an all time high and he's set to became a free agent next offseason! When the guy is outplaying the 118 million dollar man, it's safe to assume he's going to get pizzaid. Whoops, another flaw in the blueprint. HUGE hole in that plan.

We're glad you stepped up Hedo, but we weren't prepared for you to step up quite that much! Maybe I'm crazy, but Otis would sure look like a genius if he'd extended Hedo last year instead of Battie or Jameer. He might look like he had a brain in his head if he simply hadn't extended either of those guys.

Realistically, I expect this organization to do 1 of 2 things this offseason. Trade Hedo or nothing significant. The idea that we'll sign a FA for the MLE, add other players here and there, and then turn around and sign Hedo next year to a phat extension is just something I don't see happening.

2nd, like it or not, this organization is now tied to Rashard. He's an asset who's not worth what he's getting paid. Getting his value to match his pay check is a priority for this organization or he's not an asset, he's a liability. At least getting it in the same stratosphere would be helpful. I think it's flawed thinking to believe Rashard is magically going to became a player he hasn't been for 10 years, but many feel Hedo is preventing his progress, & Otis is one of them. Imo, Hedo stepped into the role Rashard wasn't up to filling. It's revisionist history!

Earlier in the year, those two were on even ground. They were Rashedo Turkolewis. But, Hedo stepped up and Rashard played the same role he's played his entire career. But, we're going to accomodate Rashard because he's the one with the 118M contract. Politics, but that's life.

I've seen some interesting idea's involving a trade for Hedo. But, like it or not, he was intregal to this team. If the Magic want to take a step back and retool for a championship run, cool. But, sometimes you step back a lot further than you anticipated you would when you move key members of your team.

Vander Wiede may wish he were Marc Cuban, but he's playing fantasy basketball on his father in-laws dime, and the old man with the monkey heart isn't going to will a 400 million dollar toy disguised as a business to his son in-law. That's just my personal opinion. Devos is done with the Magic. The novelty wore off and the day it cost him money and quit coming easy, he quit looking at it as a toy, and started looking at it as a business.

Until I'm proven wrong, Vander Wiede has marching orders to keep this team in the black. He might have some operating capital based on an overview of profit and loss, but Devos isn't down with coming out of pocket for this organization. He **** sure isn't about to watch Vander Wiede play on his dime. Otis is unquestionably incompetent, but I do believe his hands are tied to a degree. Unfortunately, he's wrapped em up so tight, there's no wiggle room. He choose to hand out the deals he did to the players he did. Now we all have to live with it until Devos gets his grubby little hands off our team!

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:

Can't disagree w/that. If I were the owner, probably do the same...unless this were the NY franchise.

I no longer have any connections within the Magic organization, at least in terms of management. My last contact in management left somewhere between the Fran Vazquez draft & the following season I believe. But, through the years when I had numerous contacts in management & ownership, it makes reading between the lines, and filling in the blanks a lot easier moving forward.

Seeing how information is disseminated out of RDV and knowing the truth behind the stories makes the Magic MO rather transparent moving forward.

Examples, it became very obvious last year this organization wouldn't AND couldn't resign Darko despite Otis' previous claims for the entire calendar year prior as well as leading up to free agency. I agree. When Otis changed his mind about paying Milicic 8m, I believe it was because of walking orders on spending.

I spent all last season believing the organization would target Vince Carter in free agency and all indications were they would. But, it became very apparent late last year Rashard was the target, and he clearly was.

It's also why I knew the only way this organization would consider firing Brian Hill was if it became obvious they were staring at a PR problem. Coaching competency was never going to be a driving force in their decision at that point in his tenure.

Even with the PR concerns, it was a move they made reluctantly, and put on Otis entirely. That's the Magic MO. WEAK!!! Play the game, you get rewarded. Take a bullet for us & we'll take care of you. That's why Guakos is on the broadcast team, Pat Williams still has a no show 7 figure salary with RDV, & hockey boy is unemployed. WEAK!!!

In training camp of this year, it became very obvious to me Otis wasn't going to do jack with the expiring contracts. I was an Otis hater for claiming that. Sure enough, he didn't. In fact, the only serious speculation we were even linked to was for another player with an expiring contract. Not exactly the vision many were clinging to last summer. SAY IT LIKE IT IS!!

I'm speculating, call it an educated deduction, but there's really only one reason for allowing 12M is assets to go to waist & even more if you want to go back to last summer. It sure wasn't the inability to acquire talent, that's a fairy tale. Ask LA how valuable expiring contracts are.

This puts an even bigger premium on the decisions Otis makes because there is no margin for error. Signing players like Battie & Jameer to mindless extensions have even greater consequences. Signing Rashard to a mindless bloated contract has an even greater consequence. Because, we're pinning ALL our hopes on these guys. OUCH!!! We're married to THESE guys!

When one falls short, like Battie, we're left with a gapping hole. If Lewis isn't an All-Star, we'll be left with a team incapable of being a contender. Simple as that! We aren't Dallas. We won't waist 10+M on Micheal Finley and just move on. We're suffer with him.

Furthermore, it doesn't take inside knowledge to KNOW the only reason Devos didn't sell this team is because he didn't receive an offer anywhere close to his asking price. Solution? Make the team more marketable. How? New Arena, assets, profitable. New Arena, check. Dwight Howard long term deal, check. Profitable, big time check this year.

I haven't heard quite enough to step out and make another prediction, but I'm not going to be surprised if this organization is seriously entertaining the idea of trading Hedo. No, not because he duplicates the same position with Rashard. That might be a convienent excuse, but it won't be the reason.

Because his value is at an all time high and he's set to became a free agent next offseason! When the guy is outplaying the 118 million dollar man, it's safe to assume he's going to get pizzaid. Whoops, another flaw in the blueprint. HUGE hole in that plan.

We're glad you stepped up Hedo, but we weren't prepared for you to step up quite that much! Maybe I'm crazy, but Otis would sure look like a genius if he'd extended Hedo last year instead of Battie or Jameer. He might look like he had a brain in his head if he simply hadn't extended either of those guys.

Realistically, I expect this organization to do 1 of 2 things this offseason. Trade Hedo or nothing significant. The idea that we'll sign a FA for the MLE, add other players here and there, and then turn around and sign Hedo next year to a phat extension is just something I don't see happening.

2nd, like it or not, this organization is now tied to Rashard. He's an asset who's not worth what he's getting paid. Getting his value to match his pay check is a priority for this organization or he's not an asset, he's a liability. At least getting it in the same stratosphere would be helpful. I think it's flawed thinking to believe Rashard is magically going to became a player he hasn't been for 10 years, but many feel Hedo is preventing his progress, & Otis is one of them. Imo, Hedo stepped into the role Rashard wasn't up to filling. It's revisionist history!

Earlier in the year, those two were on even ground. They were Rashedo Turkolewis. But, Hedo stepped up and Rashard played the same role he's played his entire career. But, we're going to accomodate Rashard because he's the one with the 118M contract. Politics, but that's life.

I've seen some interesting idea's involving a trade for Hedo. But, like it or not, he was intregal to this team. If the Magic want to take a step back and retool for a championship run, cool. But, sometimes you step back a lot further than you anticipated you would when you move key members of your team.

Vander Wiede may wish he were Marc Cuban, but he's playing fantasy basketball on his father in-laws dime, and the old man with the monkey heart Oh My... isn't going to will a 400 million dollar toy disguised as a business to his son in-law. That's just my personal opinion. Devos is done with the Magic. The novelty wore off and the day it cost him money and quit coming easy, he quit looking at it as a toy, and started looking at it as a business.

Until I'm proven wrong, Vander Wiede has marching orders to keep this team in the black. He might have some operating capital based on an overview of profit and loss, but Devos isn't down with coming out of pocket for this organization. He **** sure isn't about to watch Vander Wiede play on his dime. Otis is unquestionably incompetent, but I do believe his hands are tied to a degree. Unfortunately, he's wrapped em up so tight, there's no wiggle room. He choose to hand out the deals he did to the players he did. Now we all have to live with it until Devos gets his grubby little hands off our team!

YEP, not even Shaq can afford this team after the new Orena is built. New Owner=Championship.