Sign in to follow this  
richnba

What about Chucky Atkins?

If the Magic decide to change point guards for next season, NBA veteran Chucky Atkins will be the first one standing in the audition line this summer. Atkins, 32, is in his eighth NBA season after playing at Orlando Evans High and the University of South Florida. He started his NBA career with the Magic (1999-00) after not being drafted and playing in Europe. He left as a free agent the next summer for a multiyear contract with the Detroit Pistons.

This is his second season with the Memphis Grizzlies, and he becomes a free agent after this season. "I would love to come back and play here for the Magic," Atkins said before the Magic/Grizzlies game. "This is my home. They have a good young team with a lot of potential, and I certainly could add to that mix, give them some veteran help. We'll just have to see how it plays out this summer." Atkins has played for the Magic, Pistons, Celtics, Lakers and Grizzlies in his career. This season, he is averaging 13 points and 4.3 assists, mostly as a reserve as they try to play their young guys.

"It's been frustrating because we've had a lot of things go wrong this year,'' he said. "But sometimes that happens in the NBA." Atkins, whose family still lives here, was expected to stay overnight in Orlando while the rest of the team flew home to Memphis after the game. "I get a chance to spend Easter with my family,'' he said. "And that's a good thing."

edit:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/...9648.story?track=rss

post the source next time- fendi

If the Magic decide to change point guards for next season, NBA veteran Chucky Atkins will be the first one standing in the audition line this summer. Atkins, 32, is in his eighth NBA season after playing at Orlando Evans High and the University of South Florida. He started his NBA career with the Magic (1999-00) after not being drafted and playing in Europe. He left as a free agent the next summer for a multiyear contract with the Detroit Pistons.

This is his second season with the Memphis Grizzlies, and he becomes a free agent after this season. "I would love to come back and play here for the Magic," Atkins said before the Magic/Grizzlies game. "This is my home. They have a good young team with a lot of potential, and I certainly could add to that mix, give them some veteran help. We'll just have to see how it plays out this summer." Atkins has played for the Magic, Pistons, Celtics, Lakers and Grizzlies in his career. This season, he is averaging 13 points and 4.3 assists, mostly as a reserve as they try to play their young guys.

"It's been frustrating because we've had a lot of things go wrong this year,'' he said. "But sometimes that happens in the NBA." Atkins, whose family still lives here, was expected to stay overnight in Orlando while the rest of the team flew home to Memphis after the game. "I get a chance to spend Easter with my family,'' he said. "And that's a good thing."

edit:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/...9648.story?track=rss

post the source next time- fendi

quote:
ORLANDO - If the Orlando Magic are eager to address their shaky point guard play this summer via free agency, Chucky Atkins would certainly welcome a return home.

Atkins, an Orlando native and a graduate of Evans High School, played with the Magic as a rookie in 1999 and 2000. He is in the final year of the contract he signed with the Detroit Pistons in the summer of 2000. Now a member of the Memphis Grizzlies, Atkins said he would certainly listen to the Magic if they approach him this summer when the free-agent period opens.

"I'd love to come back here," said Atkins, Memphis' third-leading scorer at 12.9 points a game. "I don't know if they will change point guards here, but they might add to (the position). This is still home to me and who wouldn't want to come back home? They have great personnel here and I think I could add to it."

Atkins has bounced around the NBA since starting his career in Orlando, playing for Detroit, Boston, the Los Angeles Lakers, Washington and the Grizzlies. He said he had no choice but to leave for Detroit when the Magic cleared their roster in order to sign Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady. The Pistons offered him a $21 million contract, but he said leaving the situation he had with Orlando hurt his career.

"It was tough leaving and I was skeptical, but I had to play the free-agent game," Atkins said. "(Former Magic coach) Doc (Rivers) let me do the things he knew I could do. It was a great situation and I didn't want to leave. Leaving came back to bite me. I got paid in Detroit, but the coach there (Rick Carlisle) wanted me to do stuff I wasn't comfortable doing and I struggled."http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070408/SPORTS/704080362/1002/SPORTS

Chucky would be a GREAT pick up. A good veteran PG is what we need to show the lil' PGs the ropes. We have a Vet at every other position except the most important, PG. He has a pass-first mentality, good size, and is deadly from behind the arc. He, or Amrstrong, would be a good mentor for Jameer to learn to role of a point gaurd on this team.

Sign me up!

This tells you that this team is not committed to putting a winning product out there. Why bring back a recycled player specially when his career is on the down side? Please tell me that he is better than any of the three PGs the magic have on their roster. Again CHEAP, this franchise is very cheap and it only shows you that their mind set. And you know what? With Brian Hill coming back next year we will be posting about the same thing....

act_chucky_atkins.jpg

The Answer....

If we cleared some of our PGs and there was no way that Travis would play, then I would be all up for it. Chucky is a very good PG. He knows how to read the situation, and he is a gunner from beyond the arc. I'd be all up for it. He's also a very feisty defender.

Originally posted by Fern1960:

This tells you that this team is not committed to putting a winning product out there. Why bring back a recycled player specially when his career is on the down side? Please tell me that he is better than any of the three PGs the magic have on their roster. Again CHEAP, this franchise is very cheap and it only shows you that their mind set. And you know what? With Brian Hill coming back next year we will be posting about the same thing....

The short answer is yes he is better. He defends well, protects the ball, and is a good shooter from outside. Whats wrong with signing him to a 2 or 3 year deal? It would enable the Magic to improve the pg position and use the money they saved to sign a bigger name. The Magic can't break the bank on every player. Ask the Knicks fans how that has worked out for them.

I'm not sure what this means practically..

But in my far-too-many fantasy leagues this season, Chucky Atkins has meant more to my teams than 5 Jameer Nelsons and 20 Carlos Arroyos ever could.

Yes he's getting older, and maybe it has something to do with playing with Memphis, but he's one of their leading assist men and third leading scorer. That's with Mike Miller having a career year.

Comparing Jameer to Chucky is, quite frankly, an insult to Chucky. Next year if he were on this team, Atkins would deserve to be a starter. Not a back up.

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

I'm not sure what this means practically..

But in my far-too-many fantasy leagues this season, Chucky Atkins has meant more to my teams than 5 Jameer Nelsons and 20 Carlos Arroyos ever could.

Yes he's getting older, and maybe it has something to do with playing with Memphis, but he's one of their leading assist men and third leading scorer. That's with Mike Miller having a career year.

Comparing Jameer to Chucky is, quite frankly, an insult to Chucky. Next year if he were on this team, Atkins would deserve to be a starter. Not a back up.

Amen!

Been there done that.

If Chucky Atkins is signed and is the starter next year, i'm cutting all my ties with the Orlando Magic. I will refuse to be a fan of a team with management that's retarded.