Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Schmitz is all over Van Gundy, RE:" Playing J.J." in latest blog(Sentinel)

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

I'm sorry but this whole notion that our coach and gm know something negative about JJ and are hiding it makes me laugh. It's no secret that JJ is a great shooter and a bad/average defender at this point of his career. You can go back and watch the draft video and they talk about how he's weak on D and average athletically.

I have no idea why he doesn't play or why he wasn't traded, but i'm convinced the logic behind it is idiotic.

Because there is a HUGE difference between being an average athlete and a weak defender at the college level and how glaring those weaknesses would be at the pro level.

Magnify his college weaknesses by 100 and you will discover his place in the NBA.

If every poor defender and average athlete had no place in the NBA, there'd be a lot of empty spots on teams rosters.

And for anyone that's ever played basketball, you know that defense is about effort and positioning. You don't have to be a great athlete to play d in the NBA. If you're smart and position yourself effectively, you can do a servicable job on D. Keith Bogans is a terrible athlete, but he's been solid on D all year. JJ could learn to play defense better if he had some game experience.

You can tell when he's out there sometimes he looks lost and raw. You know a "deer in the head lights." I think we'd all agree that JJ has a high basketball IQ, so it's not that he's clueless, he just needs some experience out there.

I've said the same thing all along. If there was no plan to play him, he should of been traded at the deadline. The way this whole situation has transpired brings me to the conclusion that the people making the decisions with regards to this team are incompetent.

Just for bragging rights, I beat you to this article, lol...

http://orlandomagiczone.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8891029871/m/8641074794

Anyway, I totally agree that our scrubs should play during the final stretch of games. Maybe not to the point to play more minutes than the starters so as to not lose the flow amongst the normal rotation. But we see what they can do and showcase them at the same time. I actually think augie could help us on the glass so I'm pushing for him to show what he can do like towards the beginning of the season.

I want to see our young guys break 20 minutes a game! We believe in you Redick/Gortat/Augustine!

As a fan I would much rather see our bench playing hard and losing to the weak teams we are playing than to see our starters losing to them, as we have seen in a couple of games in the last week.

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

If every poor defender and average athlete had no place in the NBA, there'd be a lot of empty spots on teams rosters.

He was an average athlete and poor defender in college. At the pro level he is a horrible athlete and an even worse defender.

You all could be right but it's highly unlikely. LOL I have thought about this and this is what I think. SVG has incentives in his contract which will pay him big bucks if he reaches certain goals. That is why he continues to play the starters in order to reach those goals that will pay him BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG bucks. So unless JJ, Auggie, and Gortat can take up a collection and bribe SVG, it's not likely they'll see PT the rest of the year.

quote:
From Schmitz in this blog:

The club never has given an indication to me that they don't they think he can play in this league.

Brian, first off Stan and or Otis don't share any insider info with you anymore. And if I was them and saw how you frequently blog critically about them and management as a whole, I wouldn't share things with you either.

What? So you can blog to the whole NBA nation of GM's that Otis and or Stan told you they don't think he can play at this level?

I think not.

We might all agree, reporters, insiders and even players.

But Van Gundy is Van Gundy, and he's only going to let JJ play when there's garbage time despite of what common sense says. He's that shortsighted and stubborn.

What I fail to understand is Gundy's logic. A few games ago JJ on that Spurs game was off and he took forever to take him out. On most other instances JJ has done well but Stan took him out too soon

ROFLLMAO. Here we go again.

1.The Magic develop players?? Too funny, enough said.

2. JJ can't play defense? Yeah , yeah we know. The NBA is full of defensive minded players. Some of you who have never played ball obviously have no concept of what team defense is all about. Last I saw all the top defensive minded teams did it with just one guy shutting down a whole team.

3. So JJ can't D, why didn't Otis trade him at the deadline? Does someone with some know how actually believe JJ can play at this level. Personally I think otis is scared to deal JJ because he will come back and bite him in the arse. Like I have been saying all along they need to just trade him and let him play elsewhere. Mark my words JJ will play in this league, no doubt about it.

I guarantee you guys SVG is not going to rest our starters unless he thinks they are hurt.

I don't think he sees the long term picture a lot. He basically coaches like every game is game 8...and that's good to a point. but now? The games are meaningless, there is no excuse for JJ and Auggies to sit. Maybe you find some things out about them that'll help you in the playoffs?

4 more games an a few playoff games and JJ will be done with Orlando. This board has been very harsh on him this year for some reason. It's not like he has blown games, or made blantant mistakes when he plays. He is a competitor, he eats, sleeps and lives basketball. Does anyone here own the NCAA 3 point record? "he was a bad athlete in college and he is 10 times worse in the NBA"?

That is a wanabee statement if I ever heard one! One made of jealousy. He is first, an Orlando Magic. MG stated on TV last night that JJ has said many times he is proud to be on a champion caliber team and enjoys his teamates.

So lets be critical because he is a fan favorite. This is a very good reason. A reason born out of jealousy. He may and may not make it in the NBA but it wont be because of the lack of effort or heart and I don't believe he is "unathletic" in the true sense but only what it has become to mean and we all know what that means.

Give it a rest. He will be gone soon enough and I bet he wil be more appreciated by his new fans. And I would bet he will be more then successful. And maybe he wont burn the Majic too many times when he is on his new team.