Sign in to follow this  
sharp/7/shooter

JJ Not Here For Long - Redick Bides Time On Bench For Magic (Central Florida News 13)

quote:
Originally posted by andie:

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:
Originally posted by allstarme:

Almost two years later, they still have that need, and I'm still the same player that I was. There was a promise made, and it was broken. I'm pissed off every time I put on a Magic jersey. Absolutely."

We don't have that need. We are top 5 in the league in scoring. We've got shooters everywhere. We are doing fine offensively without him.

I agree with you junkie. What I don't understand is why Otis didn't work out a trade involving JJ and others for a position that we desperately need??? Otis is a goat that can't admit to his mistakes. And that includes Jameer's contract.

You know I don't understand either. I started a thread about Otis and trading J.J. that was 6 or 7 pages long.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Almost two years later, they still have that need, and I'm still the same player that I was. There was a promise made, and it was broken. I'm pissed off every time I put on a Magic jersey. Absolutely."

We don't have that need. We are top 5 in the league in scoring. We've got shooters everywhere. We are doing fine offensively without him.

I disagree with that. I don't think the need was for perimeter shooting, which I think you do. We obviously have more perimeter shooting than we did two years ago. I think the need was for effective play from the shooting guard position. I realize it's just my opinion, but I still feel the Magic have that need.

Fair enough... I don't agree entirely, but fair enough. I don't think JJ brings anything to the SG position that isn't there already and more effective (except maybe some much needed attitude on the floor) other than his offense. I also don't think we need anyone else offensive minded, we forget Dwight enough as it is.

quote:

quote:

quote:

I disagree with that. I don't think the need was for perimeter shooting, which I think you do. We obviously have more perimeter shooting than we did two years ago. I think the need was for effective play from the shooting guard position. I realize it's just my opinion, but I still feel the Magic have that need.

Agree to disagree. You do realize the Magic are one of the most prolific 3-point shooting teams in the league, don't you?

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agree to disagree. You do realize the Magic are one of the most prolific 3-point shooting teams in the league, don't you?

Sure thing. I'm an agreeable person. =)

Yes, I know the Magic are a great -- not good -- three-point shooting team. But in 2006, the Magic were coming off having D-Steve's Mystery Meat playing shooting guard and clearly felt the need to upgrade. As of right now, if you were to offer me the option of Stevenson, Evans, or Bogans, I'd take the Mystery Meat. The point is, the upgrade still hasn't taken place.

I've said this on numerous occasions: Redick would fit perfectly in our system if we ran more screens and back screens, ala Rip Hamilton, and played a more Zone-styled defense.

With Dwight anchoring the middle, how can any of you say, with a straight face, that a zone would hurt us? Not to mention that we would get out of the stagnant habit of standing around on offense while one guy dribbles down the clock in order to take a last second shot, or lucky kick-out to a camping Hedo or Shard.

Thank whatever man-made deity you believe in that Turk and Shard are starting to take it to the hole more, but still... I think we should run a HELL of a lot more screens and back-screens. Redick could easily be a carbon-copy of Rip if he was given the chance. And playing zone would not hurt our defense anymore than it already is on the worst nights.

Let me clarify again Allstarme. I think we have effective play from the shooting guard position. Can it be better? Sure!

I'm convinced that with our current roster and starters J.J. Redick would not be a "better" solution.

quote:
Originally posted by Give Me Redick All Day:

I've said this on numerous occasions: Redick would fit perfectly in our system if we ran more screens and back screens, ala Rip Hamilton, and played a more Zone-styled defense.

With Dwight anchoring the middle, how can any of you say, with a straight face, that a zone would hurt us? Not to mention that we would get out of the stagnant habit of standing around on offense while one guy dribbles down the clock in order to take a last second shot, or lucky kick-out to a camping Hedo or Shard.

Thank whatever man-made deity you believe in that Turk and Shard are starting to take it to the hole more, but still... I think we should run a HELL of a lot more screens and back-screens. Redick could easily be a carbon-copy of Rip if he was given the chance. And playing zone would not hurt our defense anymore than it already is on the worst nights.

So.. you're saying Redick would fit in our system if we changed our syste? Sorry, couldn't pass that up...

I don't think we want to add a starter that we HAVE to run plays for though, thats a problem. We have our core three guys and we want complimetary players that can contribute within the confines of the flow of the game.

Do we run a lot of plays for Evans and Bogans?

quote:

Let me clarify again Allstarme. I think we have effective play from the shooting guard position. Can it be better? Sure!

I'm convinced that with our current roster and starters J.J. Redick would not be a "better" solution.

All right, I gotcha. It looks like we'll never know for sure...

I hope Otis keeps drafting high character, no-athleticism, nice-guys for the rest of his tenure as GM.

Just joshing... what I really hope is that Otis trades away every draft pick he gets from now until he's gone so that we don't have to suffer through this kind of crap. Bad picks, bad situations, bad bad bad. You lose, Otis... so do you, Redick.

SVG, you're a winner in my books!!! Hahahaha

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:
Originally posted by Give Me Redick All Day:

So.. you're saying Redick would fit in our system if we changed our syste? Sorry, couldn't pass that up...

I don't think we want to add a starter that we HAVE to run plays for though, thats a problem. We have our core three guys and we want complimetary players that can contribute within the confines of the flow of the game.

Do we run a lot of plays for Evans and Bogans?

A lot of teams in the NBA don't use a zone defense because you give a lot up a lot of open 3's and offensive of rebounds. I think thats asking to much for trying get JJ into the game.

I said before the season started in a reserve role you could maybe put JJ in and make him the focal point of the offense running him off screens and stuff. However you don't want Rashard Lewis as our starting power foward out there setting a bunch of screens because well he isn't a power foward.

I disagree with JJ being a carbon copy of Hamilton the similarity is you can set a bunch of screens and get them both open for a jump shot but thats about it. Hamilton is a much more versatile offensive player in my opinion.

quote:
Originally posted by mongoose:

I love the people that will say JJ isn't acting professional.

Compared to the likes of Starbury, Artest, and all other players that have a chip on their shoulder (as does JJ), I think JJ's resilience through all of this is beyond professional. He's worked hard, talked to the coach, kept his spirits high for the team, and he's obviously frustrated. Of course he wants to play, he knows he can play, and he really thought he was going to get significant minutes vs. Toronto. It's about time he speaks up for himself.

But for you people to say he's not acting professional just contradicts the definition of professional itself.

I disagree.

Unfortunately, you and I have the misfortune to live in a time and media culture when people think that the loudness of the argument matters more than the coherence of it...a time when critical thinking is a lost art and ignorance is ascendant.

Definition: JJ needs to keep his mouth shut. That's the professional thing to do.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by mongoose:

I love the people that will say JJ isn't acting professional.

Compared to the likes of Starbury, Artest, and all other players that have a chip on their shoulder (as does JJ), I think JJ's resilience through all of this is beyond professional. He's worked hard, talked to the coach, kept his spirits high for the team, and he's obviously frustrated. Of course he wants to play, he knows he can play, and he really thought he was going to get significant minutes vs. Toronto. It's about time he speaks up for himself.

But for you people to say he's not acting professional just contradicts the definition of professional itself.

I disagree.

Unfortunately, you and I have the misfortune to live in a time and media culture when people think that the loudness of the argument matters more than the coherence of it...a time when critical thinking is a lost art and ignorance is ascendant.

Definition: JJ needs to keep his mouth shut. That's the professional thing to do.

You are correct. JJ would do himself a world of good if he kept his feelings to himself. He may generate more interest from other GMs that way.

By the way, this is a funny line,

"Compared to the likes of Starbury, Artest, and all other players that have a chip on their shoulder (as does JJ), I think JJ's resilience through all of this is beyond professional. "

Compared to Starbury and Artest, ANYONE would look professional. Kind'a like saying; Compared to Hitler and Stalin and all the other dictators with a chip on their shoulder, I think Sadam Hussein was not that bad of a guy.