Sign in to follow this  
sharp/7/shooter

JJ Not Here For Long - Redick Bides Time On Bench For Magic (Central Florida News 13)

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:
Originally posted by Give Me Redick All Day:

quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

So JJ being selfish isn't hurting the team?

Nope. We're still winning when we need to, and his "ego" is not as influential as, say, Dwight's "ego", if Dwight decided to be a *****.

I say, if you're not gonna play him then just SAY IT. Trade him in the offseason, get a legit big (not a ****ing draft pick), and let's be on our way.

If his comments lower his trade value, and we end up trading him, then has he not hurt the team with his selfishness?

His comments WON'T lower his trade value; smart GMs know his play style, they know his high IQ and superb 3-point shooting ability, therefore they won't let some stupid comments he made affect his value.

This is a business, not a highschool.

Smart GMs also place a value on attitude. The type of attitude displayed by a team player, versus the type of attitude displayed by a selfish player.

Use caps and insults all you want, but it doesn't dismiss the validity of my point.

Ron Artest, Latrell Sprewell, Stephon Marbury...

Those guys are the worst in the attitude deparment and they've all had many oppurtunities in the NBA.

quote:

How about someone who doesn't quit beacuse of philosphical differences? How about someone who doesn't go public, either in interviews or through his agent to vocalize his desire to leave? I sympathize with his situation, but that doesn't mean I have to like the way he has handled it lately.

He hasn't quit; he still wants to play. He wants to contribute.

Regardless, I would place a large sum of money on the fact that his trade value will not sink by the end of this season.

You're implying that NBA GMs are actually ethical, or have moral fiber. And I'm saying that they don't. His play-ability will far outweigh his social-inadequacy.

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

Those guys are the worst in the attitude deparment and they've all had many oppurtunities in the NBA.

Well stated. Don't forget about Rasheed Wallace, Dennis Rodman, and Charles Oakley.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

quote:

[And when you say he's not what they thought he was? What exactly did they think he was? He's always been an elite shooter and an average athlete.

I totally agree with you on this, Kberto.

Why draft a one-dimensional player with a lottery pick?

In general, this organization has to be among the worst at judging the talent of those that have not yet played in this league. They obviously do not understand what skill sets and talent equates to being a solid NBA player.

And I'm not about to come to the conclusion as of yet that JJ will not be a solid player in this league. He very well may be. And I hope it happens, if it happens, wearing the Magic blue.

I do not despise JJ (or Duke). And I would like to see more of him so that at least we could have these discussions based upon what we see on the floor, instead of what we all see in our minds' vivid imaginations.

But developing the reputation as a whiner will not help him in this league among teams looking to give certain players a chance. Most of those teams already have locker room problems, and they certainly won't want to add salt to that wound. Is he truly a locker room problem? I seriously doubt it. But, in this case, perception is reality if it results in other teams deferring to others that they feel will not cause chemistry problems.

He's taking a bad situation, and making it worse. Fairness has nothing to do with it. This is life. And, in basketball, life can be very short. Not much room for errors like this.

I actually still think it was the right pick at the time. We needed an outside threat. But if defense is the big hang up, why did we draft him in the first place? Why didn't we trade him? The management for this franchise is just complete garbage.

I have no clue what kind of player JJ will turn out to be, but I do know Otis, or whoever, has botched this situation.

quote:

quote:

How about someone who doesn't quit beacuse of philosphical differences? How about someone who doesn't go public, either in interviews or through his agent to vocalize his desire to leave? I sympathize with his situation, but that doesn't mean I have to like the way he has handled it lately.

He hasn't quit; he still wants to play. He wants to contribute.

Regardless, I would place a large sum of money on the fact that his trade value will not sink by the end of this season.

You're implying that NBA GMs are actually ethical, or have moral fiber. And I'm saying that they don't. His play-ability will far outweigh his social-inadequacy.

He needs to be careful though because he isn't playing. Someone might look at the situation and just see a 2nd year player not satisfied with his role, his minutes, the coaches philosophy, and demanding a trade. I think the fact that he's only in his sophomore year is key.

quote:

quote:

Well stated. Don't forget about Rasheed Wallace, Dennis Rodman, and Charles Oakley.

Yes... Latrell Sprewell and Stephon Marbury are EXCELLENT examples of how SMART GM's will ignore attitude all together. Not to mention you could make the argument that the more talented a player is, the more someone will be willing to deal with his attitude. Frankly, I don't see JJ on the same list as these guys.

See, I can toss words in all caps as well... lol

As an employee, why say what he said? At the very least, it is a distraction. JJ is an employee under contract. He works for SVG and the team. He has no business going to the media with his differences with the coach. Those of you in leadership, is it okay for one of your employees to go public with their negative feelings or differences with you or your business? No. That is slander FROM ONE OF YOUR OWN. Ridiculous. Unacceptable. Hopefully, he will be held accountable in some manner (i.e. fined, sent home, etc.). The last thing this team needs is to start a pattern reflecting the NY Knicks.

Perhaps all of you missed this but several weeks ago JJ stated that he did not expect things to change next season. Even if one of the SGs did not return, he expected the Magic to acquire another one who would move ahead of him in the rotation (a la Evans).

So my question is, why the **** didn't Otis make any effort to trade him? Otis-you are one stubborn SOB. You can't admit to making incorrect decisions.

And Stan-quit talking out the side of your mouth.

JJ is at that point where he doesn't care if he is on a potential championship team or not. Why should he if he isn't given a chance to contribute?

quote:
Originally posted by andie:

Perhaps all of you missed this but several weeks ago JJ stated that he did not expect things to change next season. Even if one of the SGs did not return, he expected the Magic to acquire another one who would move ahead of him in the rotation (a la Evans).

So my question is, why the **** didn't Otis make any effort to trade him? Otis-you are one stubborn SOB. You can't admit to making incorrect decisions.

And Stan-quit talking out the side of your mouth.

JJ is at that point where he doesn't care if he is on a potential championship team or not. Why should he if he isn't given a chance to contribute?

He voluntarily signed a contract!!! He is not a POW. He agreed to work for the Magic and their philosophy, coaches, etc. He's entitled to what they want, what they feel is best for their team.

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

As an employee, why say what he said? At the very least, it is a distraction. JJ is an employee under contract. He works for SVG and the team. He has no business going to the media with his differences with the coach. Those of you in leadership, is it okay for one of your employees to go public with their negative feelings or differences with you or your business? No. That is slander FROM ONE OF YOUR OWN. Ridiculous. Unacceptable. Hopefully, he will be held accountable in some manner (i.e. fined, sent home, etc.). The last thing this team needs is to start a pattern reflecting the NY Knicks.

Well said my Soul Brother, agree. And to add to that, who the heck does he think he is? My philosophy doesn't mesh with Stan's?

J.J. wants to tell the coach he needs to adopt his philosophy and for Stan to change his?

I'm sitting here shaking my head in amazement.

I love the people that will say JJ isn't acting professional.

Compared to the likes of Starbury, Artest, and all other players that have a chip on their shoulder (as does JJ), I think JJ's resilience through all of this is beyond professional. He's worked hard, talked to the coach, kept his spirits high for the team, and he's obviously frustrated. Of course he wants to play, he knows he can play, and he really thought he was going to get significant minutes vs. Toronto. It's about time he speaks up for himself.

But for you people to say he's not acting professional just contradicts the definition of professional itself.