Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Otis, what are you thinking Re: J.J. Redick?

quote:
Originally posted by jack l j:

great post. it's to bad others dont have the same vision or compassion for a player who is trying very hard to contribute to the team. jacklj

Did you ever think that maybe SVG has seen the potential, and is trying to develop it in practice without the pressure of winning? How many good young players come into the league with high expectations that they can't meet; and get so discouraged that they never reach their potential? Maybe SVG feels that putting him in too early, and having to pull him could be more harmful to his development than not playing him at all?

Or maybe Otis wants to use him in a trade, and is afraid if he plays he might get injured and his value might drop.

Or maybe Otis knows he can't play at this level, but thinks he can get value out, since no other team really knows. Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt?

Or maybe his defense sucks so bad that they don't dare play him until "garbage time"; when nobody else is playing much defense either.

Bottom line is will JJ make it in the NBA...yes, but it will take some time which is not unusual for most players. Will it be with the Magic...probably not. Will JJ be a Magic killer? You can bet on it. Smarter coaches than SVG with more experience under their belts will find a way to insert JJ into their game plan and it'll haunt the Magic someday soon. But for today and the rest of this season, SVG has to play the hand that was dealt to him from Otis.

my point is we should all be pulling for jj to make it. not critize every minute mistake he makes every 10 games. he is part of the magic team and as a fan of the magic i hope he does well. dont you!!!!!!!!!!! jacklj

quote:
Originally posted by jack l j:

my point is we should all be pulling for jj to make it. not critize every minute mistake he makes every 10 games. he is part of the magic team and as a fan of the magic i hope he does well. dont you!!!!!!!!!!! jacklj

Haven't read this whole thread but I agree with this point. Go Magic!

My biggest knock on JJ is that I've only seen him force an opposing player into a bad shot a few times in two years.

Guys like Bogans and Evans aren't saints on defense, but they both force their man into bad / difficult shots multiple times every game.

Like against NJ, Evans forced Vince into several bad shots throughout that game... and then torched him a few times at the offensive end as well.

So, nonetheless that other players' eyes light up seeing JJ guarding them... which is a negative aspect of playing JJ... but JJ doesn't pressure his man into bad shots either. For SVG, this is unacceptable and JJ will never see time until this changes.

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

My biggest knock on JJ is that I've only seen him force an opposing player into a bad shot a few times in two years.

Guys like Bogans and Evans aren't saints on defense, but they both force their man into bad / difficult shots multiple times every game.

Like against NJ, Evans forced Vince into several bad shots throughout that game... and then torched him a few times at the offensive end as well.

So, nonetheless that other players' eyes light up seeing JJ guarding them... which is a negative aspect of playing JJ... but JJ doesn't pressure his man into bad shots either. For SVG, this is unacceptable and JJ will never see time until this changes.

Finally, a guy that gets it! Good post Military!!

I forgot, I don't wanna stray to far off subject and as others have posted I don't want this thread to be dissecting Redick's every move.

I still don't see why Otis didn't trade him?

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:

I forgot, I don't wanna stray to far off subject and as others have posted I don't want this thread to be dissecting Redick's every move.

Yea, I mean, I don't need to bash JJ because he can obviously play the game at the offensive end. But with a coach that refuses to play players that lack experience and defensive intensity, JJ won't get PT here. So there you have it... why keep him?

Even if he goes to another team and his new coach builds entire gameplans around his offense and makes big efforts to cover up his defensive deficiencies, and he starts playing really well... that doesn't change who OUR coach is. I think there are a lot of us, including many of the mods, that understand this and just aren't as vocal about it b/c we see guys like you and smackdaddy take tons of flak over it haha.

quote:

Even if he goes to another team and his new coach builds entire gameplans around his offense and makes big efforts to cover up his defensive deficiencies, and he starts playing really well... that doesn't change who OUR coach is. I think there are a lot of us, including many of the mods, that understand this and just aren't as vocal about it b/c we see guys like you and smackdaddy take tons of flak over it haha.

A lot of people have made similar comments and what it comes down to is that people hear what they want and dismiss everything else. If you question the object of their affection, you are a hater and you know nothing about the game of basketball in general.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:

Yea, I mean, I don't need to bash JJ because he can obviously play the game at the offensive end. But with a coach that refuses to play players that lack experience and defensive intensity, JJ won't get PT here. So there you have it... why keep him?

Exactly, and thanks for the sympathy.

JJ himself has already said he's done growing and his arms aren't going to get any longer. I think he's just a bad fit for this team. I understand your frustration that Otis didn't trade him for Haslem or someone else who would actually play and help the team go further in the playoffs. I think the trade issue is one thing most JJ supporters and detractors can agree on. Otis said it was for insurance, but with Dwight/Hedo/Rashard around, they're never going to need JJ. Hopefully this summer they'll trade him and everybody will be happy -- even JJ.

JJ Wouldn't be happier to leave this organization, although he has enjoyed the players. So bring it on! In 2009 and 2010 he can return to Orlando and burn the livin' daylights out of the Magic. So be it.