Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Comments on Inactivity & Battie Out for Year (Denton)

quote:
The point you are missing with the expirings is that it was our last chance to add an impact player.

Kurt Thomas is an impact player? Who could we have gotten that's an impact player? I take it you were working the phones over the past week.

quote:
The other point regarding Jameers' contract many fail to grasp is that we could have actually been players again in FA if Otis was going to allow these contracts to expire.

What?

quote:
The funning thing about Darko is that he's been up and down this year and many are labeling him a bust again.

Face it, Darko never has and never will live up to his potiential. He's a slug. He can't even average a double/double on a team that misses a billion shots and has no other low-post prescense. And I was a big Darko fan.

quote:
Otis gets some credit for pushing Hill out.

He gets more than just some credit. He led the charge to can a coach that was killing this team against the wishes of some factions in ownership. That alone gives him leverage for the future to me.

quote:
How much does Otis pay you?

Just my opinion. Try refuting it at anytime.

quote:
Originally posted by Tough Break There:

quote:
Let me ask you guys a question, if Howard god forbid get's hurt and has to miss a few games, who is gonna step in? Answer nobody, we have not one guy who could play half the min that D12 plays and play worth a darn.

Erik, if any team's superstar goes down it's a disaster. There's no replacement.

You are right - there's no replacement for a superstar but the team has to be able to deal with that temporary loss. Examples:

- the Celtics did fine without Garnett

- the Wizards are doing fine without Arenas

- the Spurs are doing fine without Tony Parker

- also: the Pistons, Suns and Lakers have a lot of good players that can step up if someone gets hurt (remember the Lakers are currently playing without Bynum)

Now if Dwight Howard gets hurt we're pretty much screwed. Neither Turk nor Rashard will be able to pick up the slack and do what D12 does. Let alone the fact that our whole frontcourt basically consists of Dwight.

quote:
Originally posted by D-BoFats:

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Question, how is giving up Carlos and Garrity to get Kurt Thomas "busting it up" and "starting all over"?

To me, that's just a minor tweak.

Anybody agree?

It's more about the style of play than anything. Like I said, bringing in a guy like Wilcox and presumably starting him would be a huge shakeup to our team; we'd go from a small, powerful perimeter team to a HUGE (Hedo at SG?) team just like that. Think about how our entire approach to the game would change.

Debo, I was talking about Kurt Thomas. We could have had him for chump change, guys that aren't even playing.

You don't have to start him or make drastic changes, which is what Otis is insinuating.

It just gives Dwight a little fire power, muscle off the bench when we need it.

If we get beat in the 1st round of the playoffs the "HEAT" is really gonna be wratched up on Otis.

quote:

Pretty difficult to refute such a narrow-minded opinion so staunchly built on inaccuracies and misinformation because you'll just continue to spew the same garbage like it's a pre-recorded message from Otis and his band of merry men.

I've already listed the 16 big men that changed teams before the trade deadline, and there were at least 5 others rumored to be available. Do we know what the asking price was? No, we do not. But Otis informed us that he thought our 3rd string PG was too much to ask for. JJ was not going to be traded. A first round pick was nearly untouchable. Etc. Etc. So according to Otis' word, I can very quickly surmise that he wasn't willing to trade anyone other than Garrity & Augie.

If that was his negotiation strategy, than it is no wonder that our team didn't make a move.

You also must realize that most of the frustration isn't coming from the fact that we didn't add an impact player. He11, we didn't add a single player to a very incomplete roster with serious frontcourt problems, on a team that is right in the thick of things.

Instead of having one more piece to add to the roster and one less thing to worry about next Summer, Otis just did a little addition by subtraction, and IMO that kind of math doesn't make sense. (Basically, Otis just created one more problem to be concerned with next Summer instead of addressing it now.)

Points in time like this are what make franchises legit contenders or perpetual pretenders.

Otis doesn't realize that, therefore you don't realize that.

In an Eastern Conference where we are so close to contending, why is the company line that we still need to wait???

This is how I paraphrase what Otis said is his position:

"With Dwight, we have a superstar that will cause the veterans who are looking for a ring to come running to me so that they can play for the minimum. That is how I'm going to build my team."

I thought he didn't want a short-term fix? Maybe he can accept a short-term fix as long as it's a cheap short-term fix.

I'm not quite ready to say "off with his head", but the ground-breaking for the new arena might be a good place to begin construction on the gallows and guillotine.

i agree with smack in all that was said, however it is my feeling that pg would be our biggest area of concern if we are to get very far. for otis to make that comment about howard and veterans seems to be misguided at best. question smack. do you think otis is really the guy or is someone else calling the shots. i cant believe he would have the horse power to do anything. jacklj

quote:

quote:
The point you are missing with the expirings is that it was our last chance to add an impact player.

Kurt Thomas is an impact player? Who could we have gotten that's an impact player? I take it you were working the phones over the past week.

quote:
The other point regarding Jameers' contract many fail to grasp is that we could have actually been players again in FA if Otis was going to allow these contracts to expire.

What?

quote:
The funning thing about Darko is that he's been up and down this year and many are labeling him a bust again.

Face it, Darko never has and never will live up to his potiential. He's a slug. He can't even average a double/double on a team that misses a billion shots and has no other low-post prescense. And I was a big Darko fan.

quote:
Otis gets some credit for pushing Hill out.

He gets more than just some credit. He led the charge to can a coach that was killing this team against the wishes of some factions in ownership. That alone gives him leverage for the future to me.

quote:
How much does Otis pay you?

whait a minute I think this is Otis,hey otis is it really you? Man you really mess up, once again you have proven that you are way over youre head with this GM gig,I guess that by your logic the Suns-the spurs-the lakers and Dallas just gave their seasons away, they added their inpact players and now they are screw, they have lost their chemestry. maybe now we have a chance to beat them right.Yea sure we will wait untill the summer we know you have a big plan.some of us fans think you are clueless,I wonder what gave us that idea.

quote:

quote:
Otis also said a few weeks ago that we weren't going to be forced into any deals because we had Battie coming back at the end of the season.

Link? I never read him saying that.

This quote came in the last 24 hours.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-bk-magic022108,0,6686767.story

One reason the Magic were reluctant to trade anyone significant to find the much-needed defensive-minded power forward is that Tony Battie is getting closer to a return. Battie, a starter at power forward last season, still hopes to be active for the playoffs after rotator cuff surgery just before the season began.

"We still have to get better. We're not a finished product by any stretch," Smith said. "Are we missing something? Yes, we are. And No. 4 [battie] is still in a [business] suit for now. He won't be there forever."

quote:
Originally posted by StokesW:

quote:

quote:
Otis also said a few weeks ago that we weren't going to be forced into any deals because we had Battie coming back at the end of the season.

Link? I never read him saying that.

This quote came in the last 24 hours.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-bk-magic022108,0,6686767.story

One reason the Magic were reluctant to trade anyone significant to find the much-needed defensive-minded power forward is that Tony Battie is getting closer to a return. Battie, a starter at power forward last season, still hopes to be active for the playoffs after rotator cuff surgery just before the season began.

"We still have to get better. We're not a finished product by any stretch," Smith said. "Are we missing something? Yes, we are. And No. 4 [battie] is still in a [business] suit for now. He won't be there forever."

``He

My point is, How are these two comments made on the same day?

One quote would lead the reader to believe that Battie should be back for at least the playoffs, and the other clearly states that Battie is done for the season.

He comes off as incompetent.