Sign in to follow this  
Erik

Will JJ get some PT?

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

Didn't think it needed its own thread, this is Schmitz's latest blog-

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2008/02/whos-gone-in-sh.html

Redick was right when he told me he thinks the team probably will bring somebody else in --- another guard.

I have to believe the guy is gone. If he can't beat out Evans or Bogans --- and those players aren't guaranteed spots next season --- how is Redcik miraculously going to jump to the role of starter or backup?

Unless he's been that good in practice.

There is more in there, I especially like the part where he is listing possible shooting guards we could go after and he list's Eduardo Najera. He also says we should try and get Calderon by using our MLE, that seems realistic since he's been awesome in Tor and they love him and he's a restricted FA.

Schmitz is a moron. Since when is Najera a shooting guard? Or Matt Barnes really for that matter. Most of those guys are better at the small forward position.

Don't know if JJ will be an all-star or a bust,

BUT,I would like to see him get some meaningful minutes so we would know.

From what little we have seen,His shot is still fantastic,and personally, I don't see where his "D" is that much worse than anyone elses. Guards have been getting torched all year.

Give him a chance to either prove or disprove himself.

To get back to the point of why this thread was started...no, JJ will not get any playing time this season because nothing has changed. I have a really hard time believing that Stan wouldn't play JJ if he really was better than Evans or Bogans. I just don't get that "too stubborn to change" vibe from him.

What does JJ provide on the court that we don't already have with our other players? That's the question everyone should be asking. The Orlando Magic haven't surrounded Dwight with the Cavs roster. Almost the entire team can shoot the basketball. So someone please tell me what it is that JJ is going to bring to the court. I'm all ears.

Its also important to note that JJ wouldn't be a good matchup with 2 of our 3 point guards. Jameer and Carlos are both defensive liabilities and playing them with JJ would be like begging for the other team to drive into the paint and get Dwight into foul trouble. JJ definitely wouldn't work on the floor with Jameer. Opponents would shoot over them all night.

I'm not against playing JJ (provided he plays with Dooling and Dooling somehow starts looking to pass) with the right matchups. If we are playing a team like the Lakers and they bring in Sasha Vujacic (I'm sure I just murdered his name) then yes JJ might be a good option. However, the real truth is that most shooting guards in this league, starting or otherwise, has a serious matchup advantage against JJ and JJ really doesn't have the ability to do much about it.

Skill set that we currently know

Scale - 1-5

JJ:

offense (5)

fundamentals (2)

defense (1)

athleticism (1)

Keith:

offense (3)

fundamentals (2)

defense (4)

athleticism (2)

Maurice:

offense (3)

fundamentals (3)

defense (4)

athleticism (4)

Keyon:

offense (4) (look it up)

fundamentals (3)

defense (5)

athleticism (4)

quote:
And NO. You don't "know" Bogans is worse then JJ. You are not the be all, end all of basketball knowledge. JJ was a good, if not great college player. Thats all he is at this point.

WOW ARE YOU SERIOUS??? You are not the be all, end all of basketball knowledge. JJ was one of the best college basketball players ever statistically. Most points in acc history and other records. and since you talk like you know so much about basketball i won't mention the handfull of hall of famers that played in the ACC in college.

quote:
Well, according to the JJ fanatics, should it matter? According to you guys, he will immediately come in and dominate. Whats he have to play this year for?

You act as if a player sitting on the bench has never come into a season and had a breakout year? Maybe JJ will do that next year when from what we've read, will be given his chance to shine.

Maybe Gortat could be an all star center. Should we start playing him instead of Dwight? Maybe Auggie is an all nba first team power forward. Should Shard, Turk, and Cook all sit because of this?

Gortat has done nothing anywhere to show he has the potential to be a very good player so why even bring him into this? Augie did have a decent college career but it in no way adds up to what REDICK did in college. You are just a smart a%$ that probably thinks he should run the franchise and if you did you'd probably hire brian hill back..

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

To get back to the point of why this thread was started...no, JJ will not get any playing time this season because nothing has changed. I have a really hard time believing that Stan wouldn't play JJ if he really was better than Evans or Bogans. I just don't get that "too stubborn to change" vibe from him.

What does JJ provide on the court that we don't already have with our other players? That's the question everyone should be asking. The Orlando Magic haven't surrounded Dwight with the Cavs roster. Almost the entire team can shoot the basketball. So someone please tell me what it is that JJ is going to bring to the court. I'm all ears.

Its also important to note that JJ wouldn't be a good matchup with 2 of our 3 point guards. Jameer and Carlos are both defensive liabilities and playing them with JJ would be like begging for the other team to drive into the paint and get Dwight into foul trouble. JJ definitely wouldn't work on the floor with Jameer. Opponents would shoot over them all night.

I'm not against playing JJ (provided he plays with Dooling and Dooling somehow starts looking to pass) with the right matchups. If we are playing a team like the Lakers and they bring in Sasha Vujacic (I'm sure I just murdered his name) then yes JJ might be a good option. However, the real truth is that most shooting guards in this league, starting or otherwise, has a serious matchup advantage against JJ and JJ really doesn't have the ability to do much about it.

Great post emory889.

emory you may be right. i just think the jury is still out on jj. time will tell. i do know that with the guards we have, and especially the pg, we will be hard pressed to go far. we are lucky that we have howard and a vastly improved hedo or the magic would be in serious trouble. lets hope they dont get hurt. jacklj

speaking of hoping no one gets hurt, why did our starters finish out the game last night??? we were up by like 15 with less than 2 minutes left? maybe even 3 minutes but why not take dwight or hedo or rashard out or all 3 or 2? It makes me cringe every time i see them involved in a play when were up by 20 and theres 2 minutes left in a game.

Seems the kiddies aren't playing well in the sandbox again. LOL! I think most everyone here wants to see JJ succeed, whether it's with the Magic or another team. Looks like it won't be with another team this year so we have to live with that. It would really be great if we could get a glimpse of JJ in significant playing time but it's apparent that SVG is serious about a playoff run and isn't going to do anything to hurt those chances. The way he has been ragging on the players, especially Dwight, it's not likely we're going to get to see JJ on the court. He's focusing on getting Dwight and the starters into a playoff mode.

I will say one thing, I've come to the conclusion that when the team is getting blown out in a lost cause game, SVG doesn't bring JJ into the game at trash time to share in the misery of a loss with those who decided not to show up to play. Why share in SVG's blistering rants when by the time JJ would come into the game, it isn't his fault for getting blown out.