Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Garnett has pointed words for Dwight Howard(Denton blog)

Posted April 02, 2007 04:24 PM Hide Post

Posted April 02, 2007 04:24 PM Hide Post

Absolutely.

Dwight is not, nor can never be, Shaq.

He would have a much better shot a being an Amare, if they would allow him to learn those other skills.

THIS IS THE BEST POST AND A TRUE REALITY ON HOWARD!

Kevin Garnett is right. Dwight has to develop his game, he has to study more and get an idea of what the teams are going to do to him. Every good big man playing now and in the past has had the ability to hit a jumper from 10 to 15 feet. At times Dwight can be like Shaq because there guys the he can over power, but I think the game that Dwight should be trying to copy is that of Patrick Ewing. Who is in line for a head coaching job in the league right now. If we could bring him in as a top asst. in line to be the next head coach. He would be a great mentor to Dwight and Darko.

I think Dwight needs to watch tapes of Olajuwon. Lots and lots of tapes. And when he's sick of it, watch some more. Like this, for example:

Face it - that guy just made people look stupid and Dwight is every bit as athletic.

There's never been a play quite like Olajuwon's feint under into that fall away jump hook that Hakeem burned David Robinson with.

Wow.. imagining Dwight with even half of his offensive skills is scary.

On topic, I don't think KG was being hyper-critical or bashing him. Just sounded like he wanted to mentor him from afar, really. At least as much as one interview can "mentor" someone.

I mean come on, you mean to tell me KG didn't know that interview would get back to Dwight?

I agree, Garnett didn't say anything mean spirited. Dwight probably would agree with everything he said.

quote:
Originally posted by Smoothhands:

Kevin Garnett is right. Dwight has to develop his game, he has to study more and get an idea of what the teams are going to do to him. Every good big man playing now and in the past has had the ability to hit a jumper from 10 to 15 feet. At times Dwight can be like Shaq because there guys the he can over power, but I think the game that Dwight should be trying to copy is that of Patrick Ewing. Who is in line for a head coaching job in the league right now. If we could bring him in as a top asst. in line to be the next head coach. He would be a great mentor to Dwight and Darko.

Your absolutely right. Correct me if im wrong but hasn't Patrick been mentoring, teaching, and improving his Yao Ming's allaround game. We need someone like that for Dwight.

The Magic coaching staff doesn't need to teach or improve his rebounding game. They need to be showing him every type of double triple team situation there is and how to handle it. Yea he lacks experience but i think if he practiced passing correctly off the double teams and not throw the ball into the stands his game would greatly improve. When Amare was injured he practiced his outside jump shot just incase if was not gonna be the same athletic explosive player he was before the injury, his jumpshot was added to his game this year. So far I seen Dwight has taken 3 jump shots out of the paint and made two of three nothing but net including the three pointer he took before the half. So I believe he has a jump shot in his game but is scared to take it because of what Napoleon does to Darko when he takes his jumper which equals automatic bench. Sorry the Orlando Magic Coaching staff is obviously stunting his growth in the game. HE DOESN'T NEED TO KEEP PRACTICING REBOUNDING RELIGIOUSLY HE IS 3rd IN THE LEAGUE IN REBOUNDING. LET THE BIG MEN TAKE THERE JUMP SHOTS WHEN THE OPPORTUNITY RISES. IT IS ONLY GONNA IMPROVE THERE GAME DOWN THE LINE. NAPOLEAN NEEDS TO START COACHING THE D-LEAGUE OR EVEN BETTER THE JUNIOR MAGIC ITS OBVIOUS THE NBA IS NOT FOR YOU ANYMORE...

PS. Dwight we know its not you, its the coaching staff thats holding you back and forcing you to be a one dimensional player which you are not. Take it with a grain of salt. "I wanna be one the best players that ever played the game..." And you will be once Napoleon is gone... Patience is the Key.

Dwight is far from perfect, but let's appreciate the things he does. I mean, the man is 21 years old. Expecting an Olajuwon-like offensive game this early in his career is ridiculous. Give him some time!

Guys, you are talking about skills like if it's something you can buy in the pharmacy or supermarket. You are born with certain skills, some others you just don't have or won't be able to develop as others. You can develop them by practicing but you can't develop a finger roll touch if it's not in your basket of goodies when you were born. Shak has practice his outside shot all his live and he still shoots the free throw like if he had a physical condition. Accuracy is mostly the result of repetition but you have to have the correct mechanics to execute consistently. He can develop a good mid range shoot and maybe add some other weapons to his batch, but he can't be Olajuwon because he doesn't have the stability of Olajuwon. Hakeem (like Steve Nash, hint hint) was a soccer player when he was growing up, which allowed him to develop extraordinary balance and legs coordination. They had those skills and they were enhanced while playing soccer. He doesn't have to be Olajuwon or Shak, he just need to learn how to pass the ball, which it's a skill that with repetition he can improve; and add a few more moves and mid a range shot (or hook like Darko did).

You know who Dwight Howard reminds me alot of...........Dwight Howard. There is really no reason to try and compare him to all of these other stars because he is not like them. No player in the NBA has Dwights size and athletic ability. Think about all the great forwards and centers. Duncan, Garnett, Amare, Dirk, Shaq, etc. He is not like any of these guys so we do not need to throw him in a box.

He needs to work on establishing position and getting himself easier shots. Hanging around the rim on rebounds and defense right now nets him between 15-20 points a game. So any offensive move will bring him into another stratosphere.

I would say he needs to learn how to pass out of the double team but that is hard to do when no one on the team can space the floor.

It would not hurt to let him shoot a couple 10-15 foot jump shots every game. If he gets that down they will not be able to double team him and he will become virtually unguardable.

I really blame Brian Hill's lack of imagination for all of this. His offense is so easy to figure out that every team comes into the game and says we will double Howard and make the other guys beat us which on most nights they cant, especially the "starters."

I'm pretty sure I never said Dwight should become Olajuwon, just that he should study tapes of Hakeem.

Dwight's 21. Face it, when Hakeem was 21, he was not 3rd in the league in rebounds. Hakeem was Hakeem and Dwight's Dwight, my point was that (to slaughter an old phrase): good players borrow, great players steal (see Kobe and Jordan).

There's nothing wrong with Dwight sitting down in front of a DVD player loaded with Olajuwon plays and taking some of the Dream's spin moves and low-post moves. I think Dwight's the first player I've seen that could maybe imitate some of Olajuwan's moves: he's that athletic.

Sure, Shaq was sure-footed, but I don't remember him touching the top of the backboard or kissing the rim, either. And looking at builds, Brian Hill trying to shove his circle-shaped Dwight into that square-holed Shaq just is never going to happen.

quote:
Originally posted by 30Assists:

I'm pretty sure I never said Dwight should become Olajuwon, just that he should study tapes of Hakeem.

Dwight's 21. Face it, when Hakeem was 21, he was not 3rd in the league in rebounds. Hakeem was Hakeem and Dwight's Dwight, my point was that (to slaughter an old phrase): good players borrow, great players steal (see Kobe and Jordan).

There's nothing wrong with Dwight sitting down in front of a DVD player loaded with Olajuwon plays and taking some of the Dream's spin moves and low-post moves. I think Dwight's the first player I've seen that could maybe imitate some of Olajuwan's moves: he's that athletic.

Sure, Shaq was sure-footed, but I don't remember him touching the top of the backboard or kissing the rim, either. And looking at builds, Brian Hill trying to shove his circle-shaped Dwight into that square-holed Shaq just is never going to happen.

I completely agree with you I was just making the point that Dwight will never be those players. He has a very unique skill set. Now any great player should watch tape of the players before them and advesaries now to pick up on their skills. I just think saying Dwight needs to be Amare or Dwight needs to be KG is wrong. Now learning skills from them, there is nothing wrong with that.