Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Will Arroyo, Redick still be here after the deadline?(Sentinel)

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

quote:
Originally posted by chosen12:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Since this article suggests trying to package Arroyo, Redick and Garrity I have 2 questions:

1.) If we were to try and acquire Haslem would it take all 3 of the aforementioned players? I'm not sure how the numbers work out or salary cap rules.

I don't know weather or not anyone heard the Jerry Oneal/Magic behind the scenes on 1080am yesterday, John Denton was the guest and Deton stated that the Haslem for JJ, Carlos and possibly more are very real!! Denton ended the interview by saying that neither side, Riley or Otis is in a hurry to help each other on this, but it is very much alive!!

Yes sir!

Soul Bro, are you back in town or did you hear it online?

Still up north but I've been hearing this same thing from people in the know.

Well at least stay as warm as possible my friend! I am from Staten Island N.Y. and my family tells me it is COLD! This was the first credible source I have heard speak to this deal! (I don't count Smithz)..... I do hope that this is the case and I can understand the stalling from both positions, but I don't know if Denton mentoned the Wilcox or Thomas aspect! What do you hear on those points? I would love Haslem, but dealing with Riley, he has the tendencies to be unrealictic!

The only name I've heard is Haslem. And, yes, it is 25 degrees right now. Thx for the support!

No problem, may I suggest layers of clothing and warm beverages, and if that doesn't work....move back to Florida!! LOL

quote:

Since this article suggests trying to package Arroyo, Redick and Garrity I have 2 questions:

1.) If we were to try and acquire Haslem would it take all 3 of the aforementioned players? I'm not sure how the numbers work out or salary cap rules.

I don't know weather or not anyone heard the Jerry Oneal/Magic behind the scenes on 1080am yesterday, John Denton was the guest and Deton stated that the Haslem for JJ, Carlos and possibly more are very real!! Denton ended the interview by saying that neither side, Riley or Otis is in a hurry to help each other on this, but it is very much alive!!

Wow, Chosen, thanks for posting that!

So you actually heard Denton say that on live radio? The next 5 days are gonna get real interesting. I Hope!

I still see Otis Smith as a bunny (as pointed out by Soul Bro). Judging from what has happened so far while Otis has been a GM, I do not believe he has the IQ, guts, or charm to pull a descent trade in less than a week. Expect Pat, Arroyo and JJ to rot in the bench for the entire season and expect at least 2 of our expiring contracts (possibly, Arroyo and Bogans) walk away on the summer.

So if Otis pulls off this deal of, say, Carlos and JJ for Haslem, does another deal happen as a follow up? Could he then pull a deal for Mike Miller? It would seem this Haslem deal would leave Stan with a huge dilemma in that Hedo is playing too well to have PT cut and Shard is playing too well to have PT cut, and neither seem to be quick enough to guard SG...

quote:

quote:

Wow, Chosen, thanks for posting that!

So you actually heard Denton say that on live radio? The next 5 days are gonna get real interesting. I Hope!

I was really hoping to hear Denton speak to this more so than Schmitz, for reasons of credibility (don't trust Schmitz) but I was in the car when he said it, and that was enough said for me! I followed Oneal over to the 1080 am ESPN because they stay on point with the Magic! I did not hear the rest of the interview, so I was hoping some one else would have heard what Denton said about the other (Wilcox and Thomas) deals being mentioned with us. By the way he comes on with I think his name is Brady Ackerman, I could be mistaken, from 3-6 pm Mon-Fri.

You guys wanna read some interesting stuff? Israel Guttierrez is the beat writer for the Heat in the Miami Herald. He posted a blog giving Heat fans the real scoop on what their team can do in the future. Here it is:

quote:

For those who keep putting together rosters that include Shawn Marion and another big-time free agent this offseason, it's not possible.

If Shawn Marion doesn't opt out, the Heat has no salary cap space to sign a big name. If he does opt out of his deal, the Heat cannot re-sign him AND still have salary cap space simply because they hold his Bird Rights. If the Heat plans on taking advantage of the Bird Rights, they would have to have a "cap hold" for the amount of his current salary, which would count against the cap.

If Marion opts out of his deal, they can renounce his rights and then create cap space, but if they want to re-sign him, they have to re-sign him into that salary cap space. And there won't be enough space (unless the Heat trades Haslem and/or Blount for more room) to re-sign Marion and, say, an Elton Brand or Baron Davis.

What was even more interesting was the comments of many fans that posted on it. Check this:

quote:

Comments

Nice post. I would add though that the Heat could potentially trade for one of the upcoming free-agents (ie... Brand or okafor). In which case they would hold the bird rights to both Brand and Marion if they opt out, and could go over the cap to resign them. correct?

A deal that sends Haslem, J-will, and Cook out to LA for Brand could work b/c that allows them to move Sam Cassel and get even more. J-Will is no spring chicken, but he is younger then Sam-I-Am.

Posted by: daleja424 | February 13, 2008 at 03:21 PM

here is the most reasonable and best trade scenario for the heat.

Heat gives up: Haslem, JWill, Davis, Parker.

Memphis gives up: Milicic, Lowry, Miller, Cardinal.

This deals works with the salary cap and it is fair for both teams.

Posted by: alex | February 13, 2008 at 04:11 PM

Mike Miller isnt the answer. What the Heat should do is trade Haslem to the Magic for J.J. Redick and Pat Garity. The Heat receive money (Garity 3.8 mil. expiring contract)and a shooter (Redick mutual grudge between the Magic and J.J.). Magic get a traditional power forward which they lack. Works cap wise and basketball wise.

The above post with Memphis would be retarded. We get big contracts in Milicic and Cardinal. Lowry isn't a good prospect. Miller is owed quite a bit, and is a small foward, not a need. On top of that we would be giving away 14 mil. in expiring contracts. This doesn't make sense.

Posted by: Andre 3001 | February 13, 2008 at 04:31 PM

I think both of those trades are awful. The Memphis trade for the obvious reason Andre points out. The Magic trade is awful as well. Why on earth would we give away Haslem for JJ Reddick and 1 small expiring contract. That would give us only 3 million in cap space which won't get you very much. What exactly would Reddick do for us? It would be another undersized 2 guard to fight for time with Cook.

On top of that, what has Reddick done to think we would even want him? Why would we give away our best rebounder, interior defender, and hardest worker? I saw this trade on another site and thought they were nuts.

The only trade the Heat should look at is something like Ricky/JWill for Mike Miller, Ron Artest, Mike Bibby, or perhaps a chance at Kirk Hinrich. Both Memphis and Sacramento are looking to start over and dump salaries.

Any trade that would take on significant salary past next year is crazy.

And now the rebuttal:

quote:

Posted by: Mike | February 13, 2008 at 06:57 PM

In response to Adam H:

JJ Redick provides the shooter we desperately need. With the addition of Marion, Haslem has become expendable. Marion is a better rebounder, defender, and overall better player. If you haven't noticed, Haslem is an average player. Marion has shown to be a capable 4 over the last few years. In addition, we will be running a fast break offense, one to which Haslem isn't suited for. Any cap space is a plus.

Michael Beasley as well, plays the 4 and the Heat may get lucky enough to end up with him. Further more, why on earth would we want artest when we have a plethora of small forwards who play defense and shoot well. Redick would solve any shooting problems. Cook hasn't exactly been lighting it up lately.

Elton Brand is not the answer either. Michael Beasley is. Brand is coming off a major injury, and is already 28.

There is much, much more fan response if you want to read what they are saying. Here's the link:

http://blogs.herald.com/miami_heat/2008/02/just-to-clarify.html

quote:

As the eagle soars over the canyon, the chipmunks chase the times away.

And the field mouse is fast, but the owl sees at night.

quote:
Originally posted by Erik:

Here you go done deal. I already did the trade Otis, just cross the t's and dot the i's.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?playe...5~25~19~19&te=&cash=

I would take this deal, but only after the Haslem, Wilcox deal fell through. All we really accomplish her is trading expirings, with Haslem and Wilcox, we won't have to negotiate the final 2-3 years left on their respective contracts. This gives us much more time to jell, and evaluate. Not bad though!

quote:

Guys, Otis is simple to understand. As the red tiger prowls by the jagged creek, so the bunny jumps where acorns lay.

Soul Bro, I did not see this coming. As I scrolled down, I was looking to read the rest of it...HAHAHAHA!

That was so funny.

quote:

quote:

Here you go done deal. I already did the trade Otis, just cross the t's and dot the i's.

I would take this deal, but only after the Haslem, Wilcox deal fell through. All we really accomplish her is trading expirings, with Haslem and Wilcox, we won't have to negotiate the final 2-3 years left on their respective contracts. This gives us much more time to jell, and evaluate. Not bad though!

I have an itch in my pants that any deal involving Wilcox or Haslem would have to include Turk,and I would have to say no to that.

quote:

quote:

quote:

I have an itch in my pants that any deal involving Wilcox or Haslem would have to include Turk,and I would have to say no to that.

Yeah, I can understand that, but that may apply more to Haslem than to Wilcox or even Thomas! I think just by Riley's nature, he would not be happy with any deal concerning the Magic, unless he can somehow feel like he has hurt us in some way or the other...and that I agree has Turks name on any trade with the Heat!...