Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Will Arroyo, Redick still be here after the deadline?(Sentinel)

quote:

"Our offense is good enough to play with anybody," Van Gundy said. "It's the defensive end we have to work at.

"Some of it is physical limitations on the part of guys, but everybody's got those. We've played some good teams and defended them well. I think we've shown we're capable of playing good defense. I don't think we have too many guys who are naturally defensive-minded, so our focus is really key."

If the Magic are to make a trade before next Thursday's deadline, General Manager Otis Smith agrees it would have to be to upgrade the defense. Point guard Carlos Arroyo and shooting guard J.J. Redick seem to be the most vulnerable to being dealt, although Smith says he won't take on a long-term salary to make a quick fix.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-magic1508feb15,0,4912752.story

This also from Schmitz blog:

quote:

Are Arroyo, J.J. On Trade Block?

The NBA trade deadline is Feb. 21, and with Carlos Arroyo now appearing to be the odd-man out of the Magic's rotation, you have to believe GM Otis Smith is casting a net.

J.J. Redick wants out, and the Magic might be trying to package a deal with he and Arroyo, along with Pat Garrity's expiring $3.5 million contract.

They need a power forward, preferably a tough, defender such as Kurt Thomas of rebuilding Seattle.

Arroyo, a fan favorite, looks to be the most vulnerable. He is clearly the third point guard now that Keyon Dooling is healthy and backing up Jameer Nelson.

Click here for the entire blog:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2008/02/are-arroyo-jj-o.html

quote:

"Our offense is good enough to play with anybody," Van Gundy said. "It's the defensive end we have to work at.

"Some of it is physical limitations on the part of guys, but everybody's got those. We've played some good teams and defended them well. I think we've shown we're capable of playing good defense. I don't think we have too many guys who are naturally defensive-minded, so our focus is really key."

If the Magic are to make a trade before next Thursday's deadline, General Manager Otis Smith agrees it would have to be to upgrade the defense. Point guard Carlos Arroyo and shooting guard J.J. Redick seem to be the most vulnerable to being dealt, although Smith says he won't take on a long-term salary to make a quick fix.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-magic1508feb15,0,4912752.story

This also from Schmitz blog:

quote:

Are Arroyo, J.J. On Trade Block?

The NBA trade deadline is Feb. 21, and with Carlos Arroyo now appearing to be the odd-man out of the Magic's rotation, you have to believe GM Otis Smith is casting a net.

J.J. Redick wants out, and the Magic might be trying to package a deal with he and Arroyo, along with Pat Garrity's expiring $3.5 million contract.

They need a power forward, preferably a tough, defender such as Kurt Thomas of rebuilding Seattle.

Arroyo, a fan favorite, looks to be the most vulnerable. He is clearly the third point guard now that Keyon Dooling is healthy and backing up Jameer Nelson.

Click here for the entire blog:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2008/02/are-arroyo-jj-o.html

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

although Smith says he won't take on a long-term salary to make a quick fix.

This doesn't make any sense to me. There isn't a GM in the league that would admit to making a bad trade, therefore any deal made for a PF would be viewed as an improvement for the franchise. With that being the case, how could any long term contract become a short term fix?

Let's make it simple: Good player that fits role, with long term contract equals a long term fix.

The only way you take on a long term contract and it becomes only a short term fix is if you took on a poor player in the first place (something like a Zach Randolph, that would be a long term contract/short term fix).

Otis just never makes any sense to me I guess.

I believe that what he has in his mind is aquiring a C type of player for the power forward who can fill the gap until Battie comes back and takes over the position. Someone with a short contract (1 yr?) to fill the gap until Battie is back and in playing condition. Then, he can let him go or trade him for a future pick(s). He's looking at it as a quick fix until Battie is back. We all know that he believes that Jameer is the next wonder and we don't need any improvement in that department, so the other place to look at would be the power forward. I want to know what are they going to do with Hedo when they get a regular pf. Is he going to play as shooting guard sending Evans to the bench? We fix one spot and get in trouble in another. The egg or the chicken?

thanks bj for being jonny on the spot with any news about jj. unfortunally most jj fans are way ahead of you. with that being said i have to agree with smack. i have no clue to what this organization is up to and i believe they dont either. by the way otis is just a mouth piece for others has very little power in my mind. to blame him for this mess is a bit unfair but he is part of it. jacklj

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

Guys, Otis is simple to understand. As the red tiger prowls by the jagged creek, so the bunny jumps where acorns lay.

*snaps fingers*

That was deep my brotha. Touche.

Bringing in Kurt Thomas would be a disappointment in my opinion. Sure he's an expiring contract (read: low risk), but I think it would be settling if Haslem, or Wilcox slide. Maybe even reeking of desperation and making a move just to make a move.

If it's soley expiring contracts for Thomas, I might be a little more lenient. At that point, it would just be a swap of expirings for positional needs. If we made no moves, the end result would be the same.

The more and more I think of it, I really want Haslem in a Magic uniform. If it takes JJ, do it!

I already passed my 30s with some years in my bag related to basketball (playing, coaching, reading etc.) I always scout for a player that mix with my system, that can survive in my way of thinking and my question is: In what Mr. Smith was thinking when he drafted Reddick? Why he doesn't moved in concern of Arroyo in the summer? Sometime Otis shows that he doesnt have a clear direction or philosophy of what he want for the Magic team. For example, Ariza's trade...man SVG was looking for defense!!!! Evans and Cook's defense can't be compared with Ariza. Rashard contract?!?! Lewis is a offensive mind player, he doesnt rebound, he doesnt defend. With all that money, you can get two or three second tier players that can reenergize your franchise. Is a little bit confusing.

Go Magic

Since this article suggests trying to package Arroyo, Redick and Garrity I have 2 questions:

1.) If we were to try and acquire Haslem would it take all 3 of the aforementioned players? I'm not sure how the numbers work out or salary cap rules.

2.) If you were Pat Riley would you be inclined to take any combination of those players by giving up Udonis?

Me personally, I'd give up any of thos guys and some first rounders to boot to get Haslem.

And...if the trade is made, no matter what can you say, Kurt Thomas can be a great addition to this team. He have defense and above average offense. I prefer Kurt than Wilcox.