Sign in to follow this  
ibonedteribell

New PG poll, will it matter?

quote:
Originally posted by Jose:

Lets not overrate Diener, he isn't anything special. He's not fast or athletic. He's not good at penatrating. He jumpshot is sweet and doesn't turn the ball over, but he isn't a good passer or scorer. Arroyo and Dooling would be much better options.

Since when do you have to be athletic or fast to be a good PG? The best PG in the NBA (Nash) is about as athletic as Charles Barkley (with his current physique!!)

Diener hasnt been given a chance, he is a good passer and his handles are excellent not to mention his shooting ability.

Jameer and Carlos have both proven they cannot produce for this team so we need to give someone else a shot!

Jameer has lost all confidence in his shot, considering he and Hedo are our only "shooters" to provide spacing. No wonder our starting group is having problems producing.

At this point, can it really hurt us to give Diener a shot?

quote:
Originally posted by royce59:

jj is also a shooter who provides spacing!

I would not mind JJ starting, but not next to Jameer. He works well with Keyon and Ariza because he can take on the easist perimeter defensive assignment then. Start Keyon with him and move Grant back to SF, that would be an interesting group to see on the floor.

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_Magic:

quote:
Originally posted by Jose:

Lets not overrate Diener, he isn't anything special. He's not fast or athletic. He's not good at penatrating. He jumpshot is sweet and doesn't turn the ball over, but he isn't a good passer or scorer. Arroyo and Dooling would be much better options.

Since when do you have to be athletic or fast to be a good PG? The best PG in the NBA (Nash) is about as athletic as Charles Barkley (with his current physique!!)

Diener hasnt been given a chance, he is a good passer and his handles are excellent not to mention his shooting ability.

Jameer and Carlos have both proven they cannot produce for this team so we need to give someone else a shot!

exactly. I'm surprised that there have been Diener judgments early in career when the guy hasn't even played a second in a crucial situation. Let alone, decent minutes.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

Jameer has lost all confidence in his shot, considering he and Hedo are our only "shooters" to provide spacing. No wonder our starting group is having problems producing.

At this point, can it really hurt us to give Diener a shot?

We do not think it would hurt but Brian Hill is probably trying to get his "playoff rotation" situated (cringing). We will not see Diener unless he is re-signed and Jameer and Arroyo are moved this summer. By the way your avatar is nothing short of remarkable. Good work!!

Back to the 'athletic' comment: Stockton wasn't exactly Kevin Garnett out there, but I seem to remember him having a pretty good career.

The PG position is based more on basketball IQ than straight speed or leaping ability (count the number of Jason Kidd dunks, please). Deiner's way up there on the team as far as that's concerned. I don't want to blow him out of proportion, though.

I'd kind of like to see Deiner play a few games in a row and for more than 2-3 minutes at a time before passing judgement.

quote:
Originally posted by 30Assists:

Back to the 'athletic' comment: Stockton wasn't exactly Kevin Garnett out there, but I seem to remember him having a pretty good career.

The PG position is based more on basketball IQ than straight speed or leaping ability (count the number of Jason Kidd dunks, please). Deiner's way up there on the team as far as that's concerned. I don't want to blow him out of proportion, though.

I'd kind of like to see Deiner play a few games in a row and for more than 2-3 minutes at a time before passing judgement.

I think he deserves another opportunity but is it real for Brian to use him at this stage, ths team is going to pieces now because they know some players are being protected no matter what. Jammer is loosing respect and credibility among his teamates because of this. If he doesnt hit the bench nobody will follow Brian Hill's instructions.

And still in all his infinite wisdom Ibone has left Diener off the list. Do not ever bi**h when Carlos is not considered an option. You are ridiculous.

Hutch I think you might be overeacting a little bit. It isn't like Brian Hill is going to read the message board and set his lineup according to the poll Ibone started. I would love to see Diener get some serious minutes but realistically speaking it isn't going to happen. Not this season anyway.

I think the best option at this point is to start Arroyo and bring Dooling off the bench. The only reason that I want Dooling coming off the bench is to play with JJ. I would prefer JJ to start and then I would want Dooling starting as well for defensive purposes.

Hutch, you are trying to pick a fight with me and I've tried to explain the reason of the omission, which I found reasonable. You made your point several times in the post, relax. You may also start a similar poll with Diener included for next season and get a feed back of the board.

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

quote:
Originally posted by 30Assists:

I think he deserves another opportunity but is it real for Brian to use him at this stage, ths team is going to pieces now because they know some players are being protected no matter what. Jammer is loosing respect and credibility among his teamates because of this. If he doesnt hit the bench nobody will follow Brian Hill's instructions.

That is true but the problem is playing Carlos for 30mins a game is even scarier than Jameer, if you think Jameer chucks up needless shots then wait to see what Arroyo would do with those minutes!

At least Diener has a basketball IQ, which as 30assists says, is the most important thing about the PG position!