Sign in to follow this  
BRich

"More Magic Misery" - Denton Article (Dwight Benching, Response)

I think in a way they are both right.

I love that SVG is not coddling these guys. He is trying to make them tougher and if he has to do it through the media to get the message across so be it. Everybody is responsible to the team and if you are not giving your all you will be benched. It should not matter if you make 350,000 or 15 million. With that said Dwight needs more touches on the offensive end simply because for this team to ever become a championship caliber team it needs to run inside out. I know Dwight still struggles passing out of the double team and shoots poor free throws but that will only come with real game experience. Hedo has been great this year and other guys have stepped up but a team that is a primarily jump shooting team will not win the championship. Every single title for what the last 9 years has been won by either Shaq or Tim Duncan except for one year where the Pistons caught lightning in a bottle with an extremely tough minded defensive squad against an injured Lakers squad that had severe chemistry issues. I do not think Dwight is being unreasonable in wanting touches but he also cannot take plays off because of it. The rest of the team feeds off of his energy and I will always contend that no matter the supporting cast this team will only go as far as Dwight takes them. SVG knows that so he wants him to set the tone with his effort.

I think I'm in the minority when I say I'm with SVG on this one: Dwight's got his mind on that dunk contest, I guess. He's a young player and thinks his game has to get going offensively for him to have a good game.

I think he's starting to learn that he has his monster 20/20 nights when he grabs gobs of boards, flies around on defense, and swats everyones balls.

...Basketballs, I mean. Basketballs.

You are so correct, JonBoy!

I agree with both of your posts (See Below).

I was getting ready to post similar thoughts in reference to Dwight's behavior/attitude and performance for the past 2 or more games.

I do not have a problem with the way Stan is handling the situation.

quote:
Originally posted by JonBoy418:

I say good for SVG. What Howard needs is a coach and not another person to cater to his amazing talent and sucuumbing to the superstar's wants or needs (like you currently see around the league).

If the coach wants him to focus on defense and rebounding, then that's what Howard needs to do.

If you expect to be a superstar, who must bring your best game each and every night. That's not to say he won't have a poor offensive night, but Howard and Howard alone is in control of his defensive presence. To let a player like Larry Hughes!?!?!?! go off for 40 points, 23 in the third. I don't see how you have an excuse for that.

But make no mistake, SVG is the coach and he's not afraid to get in there and develop our youth, even if it is a 22 year old superstar. I commend that.

quote:
I know Dwight isn't soley responsible for Larry Hughes. However, Larry Hughes did have 8 points in the paint and drew a foul from Howard and made the two FT. That's 10 points right there.

But, the excuse that Dwight needs help is a poor poor excuse. It doesn't give Howard the right to take nights off on the defensive side of the ball. SVG did the right thing and did the unpopular move of disciplining his best player when it was needed. How can you get upset with that?

I was at the game last night and several times Dwight was wide open, but Nelson did not pass the ball to him under the basket. Perhaps Nelson is too small to see over the guards defending him. But it seems Nelson was looking to score often to the point of turning the ball over or driving to the basket and getting blocked. 4 assists and 5 turnovers says we have a PG problem. Plus getting torched for 40 pts by Hughes, says no D from Nelson. I could see Howard getting frustrated often as he worked his defender to get open only to have Nelson not see him or make an inappropriate drive and lose possession.

quote:
Originally posted by magic berto:

SVG's a dumbass. Dwight needs help, he's no superman. If any player in our team brings his best effort each and every game, it's Dwight. A coach imposing his will is okay, but in my opinion not in those situations. No wonder we lost. He basically destroyed everybody else's confidence by benching his best player.

I agree, Dwight needs help, but isn't VanGundy's fault, is Otis that constructed this roster, with more holes than a piece of swiss cheese..... Stan is working, with what was giving to him, Otis is a tool.

ROFL and some here as so gullible that they're now blaming Dwight just because Gundy is on another annoying tirade talking ___ like a crazy old lady

Those who still excuse SVG's mediocrity have to look in the mirror and say: I'm a big homer. These are the same people who think Otis is a great GM and Vander Weide has a clue.

How can a sane coach start Jameer and Lewis against Hughes and a Cleveland team that's big from 1 through 5?? Doesn't take a genius to know you're asking for a loss

" After the Magic's third loss in the past five games, Van Gundy tore into Howard's motivation verbally. He was furious that Howard, the NBA's leading rebounder and fourth-leading shock-blocker, managed just nine boards and no swats "

and Van Dumbo doesn't get any more dumby

He's peeved Dwight didn't get any swats??? In at least two occations he went up high and got nasty swats (unfortunately refs called it goaltending). How's that not giving an effort?

If Dwight didn't do better was because Cleveland is a big team, and we get killed inside anyways against worse opponents thanks to HIS weak choice lineups of dwarfs, softies playing PF and players who often struggle -Bogans-.

quote:
Anyone that sides with Dwight in this discussion Coach Van Gundy brought out a stat that I posted about a month ago in his post-game news chat.

Tha Magic are 22 and friggin 2 when Dwight blocks 3 or more shots in a game!

Nuff Said!!!

Gundy needs to sit himself out next time his coaching sucks, let his assistant take over, and maybe we'll finally win a friggin home game against a decent opponent.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Anyone that sides with Dwight in this discussion Coach Van Gundy brought out a stat that I posted about a month ago in his post-game news chat.

Tha Magic are 22 and friggin 2 when Dwight blocks 3 or more shots in a game!

Nuff Said!!!

yup last 2 games howard 0 blocks and under 10 reb's each game.When dwight is a monster on the boards and on defense this team wins,there lies the problem..not pg's but the lack of a pf,and dwight not playing how he has been on the boards and defense.

GO MAGIC!!!!

I too read this board daily and seldom reply, but I was at the game last night and couldnt help but echo similiar comments on here. Dwight is tired of working so hard by himself and who can blame him? He has NO HELP. Do you hear us OTIS! He is getting worn out. He is running with 2 guards and 2 3's none of which is very good at defense or rebounding. I saw several times last night D12 get visiably upset because he had position but JN could not I repeat COULD NOT get him the ball. How long can you ask him to do it all by himself? That being said I'm sort of glad this came up, He needs to bring this up. Maybe it will force Otis the mumbler to address the glaring needs.

That being said SVG prob acted correctly, just unfortunate for us who paid 59$ per for tickets. Thx Otis how about validating for last nights chaos.

I heard Stan during the press conference last night, and my immediate reaction was anger. I just don't like the "airing the dirty laundry" approach. As i think about it, it may have been coming for a while.

If Dwight wants to be the guy then he has to be the guy. He wants to be the Lebron, Kobe type or superstar that the team relies on, then he can't pick and choose when he will give effort. I do not like Kobe at all, but i do not remember ever seeing him slack off in his effort, even when he was whining about his teammates. KG is another one whose effort is never questioned. They bring it every night, then demand as much from the surrounding cast. So, i guess i don't blame Stan for his frustration. I do wish he would have handled it privately, but maybe he has talked to him and seen no changes.

I don't really buy the whole "he can't do it all" and "he is tired" thing....not if D12 wants to be known as an elite player. How long has Kobe been playing at that level? He has been in the league much longer and his effort has not diminished. Lebron pretty much carries his entire team, so why would that be an excuse for Dwight? The drive with Dwight doesn't seem the same as with those aforementioned players. It seems to be growing but he is not there yet. I hope all of this will motivate him.

FOR ALL YOU BACKERS OF WHAT SVG DID LAST NIGHT

You are DUMB! We basically handed them the game..am i saying would we have won if dwight never would of came out? no maybe not but our chances would have been much better! Dwight giving 50% is 100 times better than Adonal Foyle on the floor.

If you think that Lebron, Kobe, Wade and all of the "stars" don't say to their coach get me the ball if they don't feel that they have gotten the ball enough during that game then your mindless. Whether they complain for the ball or just ask for it Give me a break, take him out because he was asking for the ball THATS A JOKE.

You don't throw your star players under the bus either...he is lucky Dwight is the type of person he is and is responding this way.

Who is Stan Van Gundy???? As they said on PTI today what has SVG done? You don't do that unless your Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, or Popavich.

But hey, SVG is our savior and not playing JJ is the best idea ive ever seen, benching our star player in the most important part of the game was incredible, THANK GOD WE FOUND THIS GUY

quote:
Originally posted by bringithomerashard:

You are DUMB! We basically handed them the game..am i saying would we have won if dwight never would of came out? no maybe not but our chances would have been much better! Dwight giving 50% is 100 times better than Adonal Foyle on the floor.

If you think that Lebron, Kobe, Wade and all of the "stars" don't say to their coach get me the ball if they don't feel that they have gotten the ball enough during that game then your mindless. Whether they complain for the ball or just ask for it Give me a break, take him out because he was asking for the ball THATS A JOKE.

You don't throw your star players under the bus either...he is lucky Dwight is the type of person he is and is responding this way.

Who is Stan Van Gundy???? As they said on PTI today what has SVG done? You don't do that unless your Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, or Popavich.

But hey, SVG is our savior and not playing JJ is the best idea ive ever seen, benching our star player in the most important part of the game was incredible, THANK GOD WE FOUND THIS GUY

You are dumb

quote:
Originally posted by bringithomerashard:

Dwight was benched for defensive purposes. Him asking or complaining or what ever for the ball is irrelevant.

Like you and another poster said, I don't liie the fatc that something like this has been aired out to the media. It's now being hyped up and blown way out of proportion. I don't see a rift. I don't see animosity.

I also don't know what has happened behind closed doors. Perhaps Stan has tried the private approach the last couple of games and saw no improvement. Going through the media and a little public embarassment might be what Dwight needed in order to be reached. Who knows?

What really bothers me is this comment:

quote:

Why the heck not. He's the coach. I guess that used to mean something. He's the point of authority over the team. He makes the tough decisions. I believe that that comment pretty much sums up why the NBA isn't very successful. It just perpetuates the knowledge that superstars in the NBA are above the coaches and GMs. They get catered away too often with little consequences. (Look at Jason Kidd right now, or Kobe earlier this year).

Who cares if it's Phil Jackson, Greg Popovich, Pat Riley. What you have to win multiple championships before you can be considered a real coach?!?

As I said in my first post of this thread. I commend SVG for not falling into that trap and hype and losing his team because a lack of consequences from poor play.