Sign in to follow this  
mongoose

Ya know, it's time for Redick to get a start

It would be unfair for Redick to sit on the bench and watch his team play horrible throughout 3 and a half quarters, and then come out in the final 8 minutes and score 10 points in the only good stretch the Magic had the entire game, only to be benched again.

I haven't been too fond of Redick's game in certain areas, like defense, ball control, temper, etc. but I think that in this part of the season, he should get his chance that he deserves to play, since he's proven this time and time again. If Van Gundy is preaching heart, and hustle, then what is he doing having it sit on the bench? Just start the kid, even if for one game, give him a chance. Bogans has been slacking, Evans hasn't done anything in about 3 weeks, and Dooling certainly isn't a starter. If I'm SVG, my lineup tonight looks like this:

PG - Arroyo

SG - Redick

SF - Hedo

PF - Shard

C - Howard

And if he doesn't do too well, just have him sit and explain to him what he did wrong. Arroyo starts and he played 15 minutes last night, why would that be a big deal if Redick started and played 15 minutes?

The answer is, it wouldn't. But having his shot wasted on the bench while our team continues to lay bricks in the early going just baffles me. He could score 20 points in a half, but he's just not getting the chance that he deserves. I think NOW is the time, Van Gundy. Show your team that you're serious about heart, hustle and desire. But just giving Bogans a start so he can get schooled on D and lay bricks is just the worst idea I can think of right now.

It would be unfair for Redick to sit on the bench and watch his team play horrible throughout 3 and a half quarters, and then come out in the final 8 minutes and score 10 points in the only good stretch the Magic had the entire game, only to be benched again.

I haven't been too fond of Redick's game in certain areas, like defense, ball control, temper, etc. but I think that in this part of the season, he should get his chance that he deserves to play, since he's proven this time and time again. If Van Gundy is preaching heart, and hustle, then what is he doing having it sit on the bench? Just start the kid, even if for one game, give him a chance. Bogans has been slacking, Evans hasn't done anything in about 3 weeks, and Dooling certainly isn't a starter. If I'm SVG, my lineup tonight looks like this:

PG - Arroyo

SG - Redick

SF - Hedo

PF - Shard

C - Howard

And if he doesn't do too well, just have him sit and explain to him what he did wrong. Arroyo starts and he played 15 minutes last night, why would that be a big deal if Redick started and played 15 minutes?

The answer is, it wouldn't. But having his shot wasted on the bench while our team continues to lay bricks in the early going just baffles me. He could score 20 points in a half, but he's just not getting the chance that he deserves. I think NOW is the time, Van Gundy. Show your team that you're serious about heart, hustle and desire. But just giving Bogans a start so he can get schooled on D and lay bricks is just the worst idea I can think of right now.

NO body is playing defense other then howard. So jj cant do much worse then what our 2 guards have been doing. jj will like up the basket on the offensive end. so, why not? We should try it.

PG: Arroyo

SG: Redick

SF: Lewis

PF: Auggie

C: Dwight

Let Auggie and JJ play 30 minutes. Why the hell not? Might as well try it and see how it goes.

2nd Unit

PG: Nelson

SG: Bogans

SF: Turk

PF: Cook/Garrity

C: Foyle

PG - Nelson or Arroyo

SG - Redick

SF - Lewis

PF - Turkoglu (on defense)

C - Howard

Jameer has been playing better recently, J.J. at least deserves a chance, and I honestly think Hedo would do a better job guarding PF than Lewis; at least see if it works.

If the other team starts scoring in the paint at will, we always have a defensive lineup:

PG - Dooling

SG - Bogans or Evans

SF - Hedo (point forward)

PF - Foyle or Augustine

C - Howard

But I definitely agree that we should give Redick a chance in the starting lineup -- I mean, it's not like anything else is working.

Redick just needs to get playing time....starting or coming off the bench, I don't care. He needs to log atleast 20 minutes tonight so Coach can see what he has to offer before just going off assumptions and letting him rot on the bench for another 10 games in a row. SVG is starting to piss me off, he says one thing but does another. He hasn't tweaked crap in our lineup. He starts Arroyo, but he only gets 15 minutes? He benches Dwight almost the whole second quarter while he sits and watches us dig ourselves into a 15+ point lead. He lets Bogans go 1-11 from 3pt range, but forgets that someone named JJ Redick is on our team. What's the deal Coach?

For once, practice what you PREACH. Atleast for tonight...

nooooooo!!! that lineup would be tiny, and redick would be destroyes by many of the shooting guards in this league due to their experience, athleticism, and defence.

quote:
Originally posted by royce59:

nooooooo!!! that lineup would be tiny, and redick would be destroyes by many of the shooting guards in this league due to their experience, athleticism, and defence.

As if that isn't happening already... *checks list of scrubs the Magic have made look like All-Stars*

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in SVGs first year at Miami, the team got off to a slow start. As the team struggled, SVG tried various combinations until he found something that worked, and the team had a furious 2nd half rally to make the playoffs, then made a solid playoff run.

I'm certainly not saying he shouldn't be criticized, but before we pound the guy into the ground, let's give him a chance over the totality of this season to see if he can turn things around again.

Hopefully Otis will do something before the trade deadline to give SVG a better chance to succeed.

I wouldn't be surprised to see JJ, Augie, and the rest of our bench get varying amounts of playing time as he continues to see what combos work best.

It gets frustrating as a fan, but it was a lot more frustrating when we had a coach that didn't even realize he HAD a problem, or more correctly, WAS a problem.

That sounds correct Mr. C. He found a combo that played hard on D and attacked the basket and they were very tough in the playoffs.

We may not be seeing all of the lineup moves that we would want but we are seeing moves. Last year there were no changes, not a single one unless an injury prompted it.