Sign in to follow this  
bhnole

Should we extend Jameer? (Brian Schmidtz Blog)

I know I have been down on Jameer lately but I do think he is a decent point guard. That being said, I don't think he is a great point guard. The ESPN artivle bhnole referred to was intersesting. I have thought about that recently.

I would hate for this organization to be desperate to hang on to Jameer based on a few games. As many others have said, he had this season to prove himself and he fell short of the mark he needed to hit, IMO.

If he could be retained for little money it would be worth it to keep him, but again you do run that risk of a swollen ego player pissed at the organization.

FREE TRAVIS

Not just no!!!!Hellllllll NOOOOOOOOO

He should have called a t/o on the last play of ot, an yet he wanted to be a hero.

It was ahis job to call the timeout an he told Brian screw you, I got it, and he bricks, ******* midget!!!!!!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by richnba:

Not just no!!!!Hellllllll NOOOOOOOOO

He should have called a t/o on the last play of ot, an yet he wanted to be a hero.

It was ahis job to call the timeout an he told Brian screw you, I got it, and he bricks, ******* midget!!!!!!!!!!

just shut up

Jameer will never be a point guard that will lead his team to winning if he doesn't change the way he plays. That has been the problem with Jameer eversince. Its just that with Francis on this team, we rarely talk about this problem. Jameer is opprobrious of the ball.

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

My turn.

Iverson carried the scoring load for Philly for many years and people said he was selfish. Once he got traded to Denver, his scoring went down and his assists went up; he began playing like a real point gaurd.

Now, I am, IN NO WAY, comparing Jameer to Iverson. All I'm saying is that maybe Jameer plays the way he does because he has to for this team to win. Who else will make the clutch shots? Dwight- lol. Turk - lol. Grant - sure. I think if we get a CONSISTENT SG (*cough*Vince*cough*) on this team, Jameer will play more like a PG. And another reason why his assists aren't as high is because our players aren't consistent enough to make an open shot. One game, O-Dub and I counted how many times Nelson passed the ball to an open teammate and thhe missed the easy shot. That number was unbelieveably high.

All I'm saying is if we get the right piece and more consistentcy from other players, maybe Jameer will play like a better POINT GAURD and distribute the ball to the right players. He won't be as good as Travis Diener (for you HUTCH), but he'll be better than what he is now. And, extending him this summer wouldn't be a bad move after all.

Now I really wish we were able to get Vince at the deadline to see what we'd have in our team.

The difference with Jameer and AI is that AI has a basketball IQ and the fact that he can drive, dish and shoot. While Jameer doesn't usually dish so its easier to guard him.

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

My turn.

Iverson carried the scoring load for Philly for many years and people said he was selfish. Once he got traded to Denver, his scoring went down and his assists went up; he began playing like a real point gaurd.

Now, I am, IN NO WAY, comparing Jameer to Iverson. All I'm saying is that maybe Jameer plays the way he does because he has to for this team to win. Who else will make the clutch shots? Dwight- lol. Turk - lol. Grant - sure. I think if we get a CONSISTENT SG (*cough*Vince*cough*) on this team, Jameer will play more like a PG. And another reason why his assists aren't as high is because our players aren't consistent enough to make an open shot. One game, O-Dub and I counted how many times Nelson passed the ball to an open teammate and thhe missed the easy shot. That number was unbelieveably high.

All I'm saying is if we get the right piece and more consistentcy from other players, maybe Jameer will play like a better POINT GAURD and distribute the ball to the right players. He won't be as good as Travis Diener (for you HUTCH), but he'll be better than what he is now. And, extending him this summer wouldn't be a bad move after all.

Now I really wish we were able to get Vince at the deadline to see what we'd have in our team.

The difference with Jameer and AI is that AI has a basketball IQ and the fact that he can drive, dish and shoot. While Jameer doesn't usually dish so its easier to guard him.

If all the above is the truth and we dont have anyone that can drop a clutch shot why did we bench arroyo? Not defending the man but the same argument could be tossed at why Arroyo shot so much. I think we should hire a PG coach and teach our PGs that they are there to make everyone better and to shoot when the teams needs them to. And Yes we do have people capable of making shots but Jameer's hog style play make us the most predictable team in the clutch in the league. Now who would I have make a clutch 2; Grant. A clutch three: Jammer, Hedo, JJ or Travis.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

...But name one other player on this team that has hit as many big shots as him this season.

Nobody ever had a chance to even try it, because of ballhog Jameer aka Francini. That man is plain stupid and self-centered like nobody I have ever seen. No intelligence whatsoever, and it does not seem there would be any improvement in that regard.

If Jameer would do his job as a point guard during the game, the team would have won and won big. This was the Boston Celtics! 9 points, 4 assist, 2 rebounds, 5 personal fouls, and 3 turnovers on 4-16 shooting sucks!

He may occasionally score 20 and hit big shots, but he gets about 4 assists a game. That is about 28 generated points for your offense assuming the assist were all two pointers. I would rather see my point guard get 15 points and about 8 or 9 assist a game. That generates about 31 to 33 points.

When you pass the ball, you get your offense going and when you get the ball to your teammates in positions to score, they usually score.

quote:
If all the above is the truth and we dont have anyone that can drop a clutch shot why did we bench arroyo

well, Jameer has been playing better than Arroyo, even before Arroyo was benched.

Also, Jameer is the future of this team, along with Dwight.

quote:
He may occasionally score 20 and hit big shots, but he gets about 4 assists a game. That is about 28 generated points for your offense assuming the assist were all two pointers. I would rather see my point guard get 15 points and about 8 or 9 assist a game. That generates about 31 to 33 points.
Well, it is true that had Jameer played a true point guard's role, the story would have been different. When you're struggling you've got to pass the ball. But a guy like Jameer, a scorer and a shooter, only needs the confidence and start hitting their shots again. But certainly not forcing things around.

He is not starter material. He is also a SG. I would like to see him come off the bench to provide a spark. He needs to work on his court vision and passing. He destroys fast breaks because he wants to score rather than setting up his teammates. That is not a good characteristic for a PG. He has potential and if he works on the PG position, he could be good. He doesn't play good Defense either. As I sit here and type it is more evident that he is not a starting PG and I don't think we should over value him. We should sign Chauncey Billups and move Jameer to the bench. Also I think Billups would teach Jameer alot about the PG position.

quote:
Originally posted by nate dizzy:

He is not starter material. He is also a SG. I would like to see him come off the bench to provide a spark. He needs to work on his court vision and passing. He destroys fast breaks because he wants to score rather than setting up his teammates. That is not a good characteristic for a PG. He has potential and if he works on the PG position, he could be good. He doesn't play good Defense either. As I sit here and type it is more evident that he is not a starting PG and I don't think we should over value him. We should sign Chauncey Billups and move Jameer to the bench. Also I think Billups would teach Jameer alot about the PG position.

so true...