Sign in to follow this  
bhnole

Should we extend Jameer? (Brian Schmidtz Blog)

quote:
Originally posted by O-dub:

Jameer was already part of this young future of a team when that hot streak happened at the end of last season. Like I said, I never doubted Jameer at all and knew what Jameer was capable of IF Jameer just made his shots. The guys getting his extension no matter what.

I don't doubt the team will offer something, the question a lot of people are avoiding is how high are you willing to go?

What is he worth to you? Arroyo money ($4 mill), MLE money ($5-6 mill), Hinrich money ($9 mill), the MAX?

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

quote:
Originally posted by O-dub:

Jameer was already part of this young future of a team when that hot streak happened at the end of last season. Like I said, I never doubted Jameer at all and knew what Jameer was capable of IF Jameer just made his shots. The guys getting his extension no matter what.

I don't doubt the team will offer something, the question a lot of people are avoiding is how high are you willing to go?

What is he worth to you? Arroyo money ($4 mill), MLE money ($5-6 mill), Hinrich money ($9 mill), the MAX?

I think he is worth Arroyo to Ridnour type money. I would also be reluctant to anything more than a 3 year deal. If they signed him for Hinrich money or the max I think I would have a heart attack.

My turn.

Iverson carried the scoring load for Philly for many years and people said he was selfish. Once he got traded to Denver, his scoring went down and his assists went up; he began playing like a real point gaurd.

Now, I am, IN NO WAY, comparing Jameer to Iverson. All I'm saying is that maybe Jameer plays the way he does because he has to for this team to win. Who else will make the clutch shots? Dwight- lol. Turk - lol. Grant - sure. I think if we get a CONSISTENT SG (*cough*Vince*cough*) on this team, Jameer will play more like a PG. And another reason why his assists aren't as high is because our players aren't consistent enough to make an open shot. One game, O-Dub and I counted how many times Nelson passed the ball to an open teammate and thhe missed the easy shot. That number was unbelieveably high.

All I'm saying is if we get the right piece and more consistentcy from other players, maybe Jameer will play like a better POINT GAURD and distribute the ball to the right players. He won't be as good as Travis Diener (for you HUTCH), but he'll be better than what he is now. And, extending him this summer wouldn't be a bad move after all.

Now I really wish we were able to get Vince at the deadline to see what we'd have in our team.

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

I am recommending that the Magic not make an offer that I believe will not be accepted. Let Nelson test the market place, meanwhile let's look at his play next year.

I'm with you on that with a nod to Nyce's point. I actually think Jameer could play the point and WILL have to play it with a player link Vince on the team. Smack has a valid point of playing for the dollars next year but something tells me Jameer is likely to believe he is a whole lot better than the front office is going to agree with in which case you play the next season with an insulted player looking for dollars.

I say you put this way on the back burner until you've made your offseason free agent pick up. If you have a roster at that point that has serious consideration for a championship run you've got an extra bargaining chip.

Here's another thought. What if we make the playoffs and Jameers steps the kcuf up! He just plays like an all-star. With the bad season, but good playoffs, would you extend him this summer for Ridinour $$$?

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

Here's another thought. What if we make the playoffs and Jameers steps the kcuf up! He just plays like an all-star. With the bad season, but good playoffs, would you extend him this summer for Ridinour $$$?

Would have to be an All Star that takes us to the third round or an awfully well contested run in the 2nd for me. I don't think you want to commit years to a player on the strength of a few games.

ESPN has a new article talking about the top 25 worst contracts in the NBA (for some reason they left Grant off the list). But easily half of those bad contracts were signed after players exploded for short stints of brilliant play.

A good playoff run certainly would only help his value, but he needs to show he can do it all season to earn my vote for a big contract.

quote:

ESPN has a new article talking about the top 25 worst contracts in the NBA (for some reason they left Grant off the list). But easily half of those bad contracts were signed after players exploded for short stints of brilliant play.

A good playoff run certainly would only help his value, but he needs to show he can do it all season to earn my vote for a big contract.

Should we assume with a strong playoff run we may lose Jameer to the Knicks next summer when they sign him to a max offer sheet. I just thought it was great that there were two seperate categories for the Knicks.

We shouldn't give him any offers. Otis needs to make it clear, if he wants to play with this team, he needs to work on certain things during the summer. Particularly his playmaking and defense. Jameer has been a huge disappointment this season. I don't want us making any commitments to such an important position. He needs to prove his worth.

quote:
Originally posted by Drain-O:

quote:

Should we assume with a strong playoff run we may lose Jameer to the Knicks next summer when they sign him to a max offer sheet. I just thought it was great that there were two seperate categories for the Knicks.

That the game Otis is playing now, so few teams have big cap space anymore that he uses the tight market to keep salaries down. Under the new CBA the best the Knicks can do anymore is hand out one MLE a year to guys like Jerome James (2005) and Jeffries (2006).

I think the best Jameer could hope for next year is an MLE offer from someone in the open market, which the Magic still would have the right to match.