Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Salary Cap Experts! What's the truth with signing Darko and Vince?

Signing both Battie and Bogans was short sighted IMO. You're talking about 7.5M in salary. Bogans even more so following the drafting of Redick. I understand the reasons behind it for this season, big picture is was a mistake. Think of it like this, MAX FA or 2nd tier FA + Battie + Bogans. Easy decision.

I've seen conflicting reports Otis pulled a 8 & 10M deal off the table for Darko. If Otis pulled an 8M offer off the table, another very big mistake. 10M is more of a gray area which still may end up costing the Magic $.

I still haven't received confirmation of Garrity's contract, so I won't speculate.

All I can add is that I hope Otis has a handle on this because it would be completely irresponsible to enter FA without enough coin.

If our boy Gabe was in charge, I wouldn't put signing Darko to a 1 year deal at the qualifying amount with a wink, wink agreement of a bigger deal past him at all.

This summer is Otis' defining moment as GM. I'll reserve judgement until I see the final result.

I still think Otis did the right thing with Darko. One negative, IMO, about Darko's game is his work ethic is sometimes questionable.

If we would have given him an $8m or $10m deal he would have been paid and wouldnt necessarily have as much to work towards/prove. Now he is playing soo much better because he needs to show he is worth that money, I think it has made him a better player personally, he has been awesome lately and I think as his confidence rises so will his numbers and general play for the Magic!

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

quote:
Originally posted by LJ Magic:

5. Fran Vasquez, though he doesn't play for us, will count on the cap at $1.6 million.

Total Salary = $74.3 million.

Fran does not count against our cap because he is under contract oversea's. Unsigned 1st round picks only count if they not currently under contract to another professional club.

I think his rights will be moved with Hedo as incentive for someone to take on Hedo's salary and give us more room now and down the road when we are getting close to the luxury tax.

Agreed and anyone who uses RealGM for cap numbers are dumb. They do not know jack about the cap and obviously can not read Larry Coon's site or they would get most of it right.

Everyone can second guess Otis all they want, but the best thing regardless of the situation is Darko can now sign a contract that will terminate the same time Dwight's & Jameer's MAX LENGTH extension will.

I believe you can extend a contract for 5 years and sign a new contract for 6. Therefore, Dwight, Jameer & Darko will all in at the same time. It is good incase something terrible happens and we lose one of those guys. It gives us flexibility in the event we have to rebuild any part on the fly.

quote:
Originally posted by D-BoFats:

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

quote:
Originally posted by LJ Magic:

5. Fran Vasquez, though he doesn't play for us, will count on the cap at $1.6 million.

Total Salary = $74.3 million.

Fran does not count against our cap because he is under contract oversea's. Unsigned 1st round picks only count if they not currently under contract to another professional club.

I think his rights will be moved with Hedo as incentive for someone to take on Hedo's salary and give us more room now and down the road when we are getting close to the luxury tax.

Starting this off-season, Fran will count on the cap at $1.6 million.

Again this is not true, Fran still has three years on his current contract with his Spanish league team.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#41

Read question #42

quote:
Essentially, the clock stops as long as the player plays pro ball outside the NBA. Players are not included in the team's team salary while the player is under contract with a non-NBA team.

This is the same reason that we still own Mario Kasun's right but have no cap hit on him either.

No bhnole, you're wrong!!! You lose!!!

J/K, when MagicFanBen brought it up, I looked at Coon's FAQ, and you're right. I was just about to post #42, and admit my mistake, lol.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Hey guys, can somebody click this link and listen in. Chad Ford did a podcast with Darko's agent. I can't get it to work.

Can someone give us the scoop as to what they are talking about?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/index

Junkie, I'm going to start a collection so that we can get you upgraded to DSL.

Darko's agent said...

-It was disappointing to have Otis pull the offer off the table.

-Magic not signing Darko to an extension opens the door for other teams.

-Darko fits well in Orlando.

Char Ford said...

- B Hill hasn't used Darko well.

Overall, they basically covered a lot more having to do with Detroit drafting and trading him then his current status with Orlando.

Darko is playing hard and will get top dollar this offseason.

Yeah BJ, its time for you to move out of the stone age. lol

If Darko was willing to sign a 8 mil a year contract than I'm disappointed that Otis pulled it off the table. Darko would have to be a collasal bust for him to not to be worth 8 mil in the current market. I understand not wanting to overpay for a player but sometimes a GM has to roll the dice. This would have been a good time to gamble.

In the end, I think we'll still resign him it'll just cost us more that it should have.

quote:
Originally posted by T-Cat:

The Message is clear for Otis sign Vince and Darko, then trade for more expiring contracts to prepare for extending Dwight,Ariza,and Nelson.Also the Magic have 3 second round picks in this years draft,hopefully Otis come through for us!

http://nbadraft.net/index.asp

I'll be really surprised if we keep the picks. Otis will probably trade them for cash or something.

quote:
Originally posted by The Ghost of John Gabriel:

This summer is Otis' defining moment as GM. I'll reserve judgement until I see the final result.

Truer words haven't been spoken on this forum in months, literally.