Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Magic Acquire Brian Cook and Maurice Evans From L.A. Lakers

quote:
Originally posted by RoBo2002:

Will Cook and Evans be playing for us in San Antonio tomorrow? I dont know how long these things take to complete, if not, when will they be joining the team? I know they arent gonna just right in and get playing time, but I am asking more to find out when they will start practicing with the team to get involved.

From: http://my.lakers.com/blogs/2007/11/20/details-on-ariza/

quote:
The Magic are currently in San Antonio to play the Spurs on Wednesday night. Ariza will be checked out by doctors in the San Antonio area and, if cleared, will catch an early morning plane to Milwaukee on Wednesday. That flight would allow him to join the rest of the Lakers around noon time.

Passing the physical does not guarantee that he will be active for tomorrow night

quote:
Originally posted by The Ghost of John Gabriel:

Pathetic. Otis is absolutely incompetent!!!

Don't trade Ariza to keep Darko, but trade him for two scrubs. For crying out loud, at least trade him for a talent. Brian Cook??? UnFingReal...

Otis has officially undone the only two moves he got right as GM of this organization.

Remember the I told you so message that Ariza's body language and his playing time was sending.

quote:
Originally posted by coachbob:

Otis Smith is the best GM the Magic have had. People, stop bashing him. Trevor was popular, a good young player with upside. Brian Cook, and perhaps Evans provides the line-up flexibility we need. Our core is solid, and these players fill a nich and serve a purpose. Cook was a a very solid college player and I understand he is very servicable. He can run, shoot, and rebound which will allow Rashard to move to SF in certain instances. Sometimes you have to give up something good, to get something good. This may be a good move, we should know before the end of the season.

I'm fine with trading Ariza, but at least they could have traded him for some players that are good. And what has cook done lately. Nothing. I might have to eat this statement later, but that's fine.

Guys, Ariza wasnt playing, and he can opt out after this year. Chances are, we lose him for nothing. Otis might even know that for sure. We needed another true 4, and we got it. We have seen how well spacing the floor works for Dwight, I say, make it impossible to pack it in on him...EVER. This helps accomplish that. I liked Ariza as much as everyone else, but I think this was a move that had to be done.

You're right about Ariza needing to go, but not for the sake of just going. He is a dynamic young player that has a ton of upside and we got two towel boys for him. I really do hope I'm wrong. Or at the very least we use these two guys to package to get a better player. I do agree that we need to space the floor. But we have been doing that pretty well with lewis, hedu, and nelson.

quote:
Originally posted by bigjsd:

We really don't need scoring so no big deal but it is interesting to hear people criticize Ariza for his shooting and yet his FG% is far better than either player acquired from us. Makes you say hmmm.

His % is high because the only shots he really takes are dunks or layups, if it isn't point blank it isn't happening. He should be good for you guys, I'm just curious whether this is a sign of things to come as Hollinger is hinting at.

I'm going to reserve judgement on this trade but we do need to stop wasting talent. If we knew Trevor and Darko were not going to be here this year, we should have packaged them for something. Think about this Grant(16mill cap relief), Darko, Trevor. All 3 of those were here last year can you think of a more attractive looking trade package? We can't keep doing that kind of thing. It's time to take a good hard look at JJ and really think about his future here.

I've been teying to make myself feel better about this trade also but I have to agree with Old No. 7 and The Ghost of JG.

Its not about Ariza's game and potential as a Magic player anymore. I'm over that, Its about his value in a trade and I just thought we could have got better players in return for him.

quote:
Originally posted by NotByChoice:

I've been teying to make myself feel better about this trade also but I have to agree with Old No. 7 and The Ghost of JG.

Its not about Ariza's game and potential as a Magic player anymore. I'm over that, Its about his value in a trade and I just thought we could have got better players in return for him.

Maybe other teams don't value Ariza as much as we do?

Maybe they all don't see his potential, and the Lakers gave us the best offer.

Why not just stop and think about this before we all play GM.

I'm not happy to see Ariza let go either, trust me on that, but lets wait this deal out and see how our team adjusts to the change. We as Magic fans have been through alot of crap over the years, this year just doesn't have that kind of feeling.

Take a deep breath, and let's watch tonight's game with excitement to see our new guys play.

I'm not trying to turn my head to a bad deal either, I just don't want to actually call it a bad deal yet.

I think we should take a wait and see type approach before passing final judgment. But I think this trade was fair, we trade a player we were not using in Ariza for a big body and a back-up SG.

quote:
If we knew Trevor and Darko were not going to be here this year, we should have packaged them for something

I agree with this statement. However, I also think everything is 20/20 when looking back.

Returning was discussed with Hill and he gave every indication that he would come back, but then did not when he got what he felt was a better opportunity.

Darko's case was a little more unclear, but i do not think anyone forsaw his agent's greed and foolishness. That one Otis gets blamed for, and whatever you are entitled, but i see it as too many big egos and Darko's priorities being questionable. Yes, i agree all day we would be in a much better position defensively if he would have stayed, but not for 10mil and his agent did take that from another team but was not willing to take it from us. HE is the one who stopped talking and was soooo insulted with a 6mil offer, and only got 1mil more and put on a team who is not as good. All i am saying is that if my goal was to be a champion, i would have looked at that deal differently.

I do not think anyone knew we would have to put Trevor up for a trade. I think we rolled with the punches and evaluated how slowly he has developed so far, and where that would put him on this team in the next 4-5 years. He is almost the same age as Dwight, and has played a little longer, yet Dwight has gained over 20lbs, improved his free throws and developed a couple of shots. Why hasn't Trevor developed anything? Maybe he will turn out to be an all star or at least a very good player, but i think they felt that his assets of defense was not really contributing because he was not playing, and he became expendible.

For all Ariza has done for us..shining last year.. getting deflections, steals, rebounds, dunks, aggressive D, and a double double just recently in limited minutes... he cant even be included in the topic of this thread. only the scrubs who we acquire..