Sign in to follow this  
FENDI

Milicic relegated to reserve role

ORLANDO - Darko Milicic lost his job in the starting lineup because of injury, but the Orlando Magic power forward said he doesn't fear the demotion will hurt him this summer when he becomes a free agent.

Milicic started 16 consecutive games in February and early March and played well, averaging 9.8 points, 7.1 rebounds and 2.13 blocks a game. But he missed the March 14 game against Utah because of a sciatic nerve problem in his lower back and was replaced by veteran Tony Battie, who coincidentally was returning from an injury.

Battie has remained in that role, putting the 21-year-old Milicic back on the bench. He's played an average of 25 minutes the past three games since the demotion, just short of the 31.4 minutes he averaged as a starter.

Milicic will become a restricted free agent this summer, meaning the Magic can match any contract offer he receives. He can get contract of six years from Orlando, but the Magic will likely opt to go with a short-term deal.

Milicic said he's tried all season not to think about his pending contract status, and he hopes losing his starting job won't affect his free-agent appeal.

"It just happens that I couldn't play the same night that Tony was coming back because of my back injury," Milicic said. "I'm starting to get my minutes back now coming off the bench. I'm not worried about (the demotion). I just want to help this team get into the playoffs. That's all I'm thinking about now."

Playoff experience

Battie is a veteran of competing in the playoffs, having played in 26 postseason games in his 10-year NBA career. He even made it to the Eastern Conference Finals with the Boston Celtics in 2002, but lost to New Jersey.

Battie said he desperately wants the Magic to get into the playoffs this April for no more reason than to get the Magic's young core of Dwight Howard, Jameer Nelson, Trevor Ariza and Darko Milicic some postseason experience. Battie said playing in that kind of intensity with so much riding on each game would help the young core's development tenfold.

"I want it so bad for them because it will them learn what playing at that level is all about," said Battie, one of the Magic's most vocal leaders. "Once your appetite is whetted with the playoffs, you know what you have to do every season to get back there. Then those games against the teams like Memphis, Atlanta and Charlotte, teams we're supposed to beat, we'll win those games consistently."

Free throws

The Magic honored senior vice president Pat Williams Friday night as part of their "Commitment to the Past" initiative. Williams was a part of the group that helped bring NBA basketball to Central Florida. He was the team's general manager from 1989 through 1996. . . . Redick served as a sounding board for Duke power forward Josh McRoberts, who announced Thursday he was leaving the Blue Devils to enter the NBA Draft. McRoberts and Redick are best friends and McRoberts stayed with Redick in Orlando last week after the Devils were eliminated from the NCAA tournament. Said Redick: "He was 99 percent sure already that he was going to leave for the NBA, so it wasn't a matter of me convincing him. We talked all last week, mostly just about agents and financial advisors. He's my best friend and it's a difficult decision, so I just tried to help him how I could." . . . Ariza played Friday night for the first time this season against New Jersey. He missed the first three games against the Nets because of a partially torn ligament in his knee. Ariza has become one of the Magic's most improved players this season by strengthening his outside shot. He worked to make 500-to-600 shots a day in the summer. Said Ariza: "If I can hit that shot it will really open up the lane for me to do some other things." . . . Magic reserve shooting guard Keith Bogans, a University of Kentucky product, said he wasn't surprised that coach Tubby Smith left the Wildcats under pressure and accepted the coaching job at Minnesota. Said Bogans: "I kind of knew it was coming. He wasn't winning the way they want you to win there (at Kentucky). He had been there 10 years, and he had a good run."

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...03240337/1002/SPORTS

ORLANDO - Darko Milicic lost his job in the starting lineup because of injury, but the Orlando Magic power forward said he doesn't fear the demotion will hurt him this summer when he becomes a free agent.

Milicic started 16 consecutive games in February and early March and played well, averaging 9.8 points, 7.1 rebounds and 2.13 blocks a game. But he missed the March 14 game against Utah because of a sciatic nerve problem in his lower back and was replaced by veteran Tony Battie, who coincidentally was returning from an injury.

Battie has remained in that role, putting the 21-year-old Milicic back on the bench. He's played an average of 25 minutes the past three games since the demotion, just short of the 31.4 minutes he averaged as a starter.

Milicic will become a restricted free agent this summer, meaning the Magic can match any contract offer he receives. He can get contract of six years from Orlando, but the Magic will likely opt to go with a short-term deal.

Milicic said he's tried all season not to think about his pending contract status, and he hopes losing his starting job won't affect his free-agent appeal.

"It just happens that I couldn't play the same night that Tony was coming back because of my back injury," Milicic said. "I'm starting to get my minutes back now coming off the bench. I'm not worried about (the demotion). I just want to help this team get into the playoffs. That's all I'm thinking about now."

Playoff experience

Battie is a veteran of competing in the playoffs, having played in 26 postseason games in his 10-year NBA career. He even made it to the Eastern Conference Finals with the Boston Celtics in 2002, but lost to New Jersey.

Battie said he desperately wants the Magic to get into the playoffs this April for no more reason than to get the Magic's young core of Dwight Howard, Jameer Nelson, Trevor Ariza and Darko Milicic some postseason experience. Battie said playing in that kind of intensity with so much riding on each game would help the young core's development tenfold.

"I want it so bad for them because it will them learn what playing at that level is all about," said Battie, one of the Magic's most vocal leaders. "Once your appetite is whetted with the playoffs, you know what you have to do every season to get back there. Then those games against the teams like Memphis, Atlanta and Charlotte, teams we're supposed to beat, we'll win those games consistently."

Free throws

The Magic honored senior vice president Pat Williams Friday night as part of their "Commitment to the Past" initiative. Williams was a part of the group that helped bring NBA basketball to Central Florida. He was the team's general manager from 1989 through 1996. . . . Redick served as a sounding board for Duke power forward Josh McRoberts, who announced Thursday he was leaving the Blue Devils to enter the NBA Draft. McRoberts and Redick are best friends and McRoberts stayed with Redick in Orlando last week after the Devils were eliminated from the NCAA tournament. Said Redick: "He was 99 percent sure already that he was going to leave for the NBA, so it wasn't a matter of me convincing him. We talked all last week, mostly just about agents and financial advisors. He's my best friend and it's a difficult decision, so I just tried to help him how I could." . . . Ariza played Friday night for the first time this season against New Jersey. He missed the first three games against the Nets because of a partially torn ligament in his knee. Ariza has become one of the Magic's most improved players this season by strengthening his outside shot. He worked to make 500-to-600 shots a day in the summer. Said Ariza: "If I can hit that shot it will really open up the lane for me to do some other things." . . . Magic reserve shooting guard Keith Bogans, a University of Kentucky product, said he wasn't surprised that coach Tubby Smith left the Wildcats under pressure and accepted the coaching job at Minnesota. Said Bogans: "I kind of knew it was coming. He wasn't winning the way they want you to win there (at Kentucky). He had been there 10 years, and he had a good run."

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...03240337/1002/SPORTS

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Darko's contract situation scares the crap out of me!

I was talking to the guys who sit around me at the game last night about it.

The general consensus of my little group was no more than 3 years for 21 million. Definitely not more than 3 years.

I just have a feeling some team is gonna offer him more and I would have serious reservations about tying up a lot our cap space for a guy who has shown glimpses of promise but for the most part is considered an under-achiever. He seems un-interested at times as everyone on these boards know.

He is in a contract year this season.

Be careful Otis.

quote:
The general consensus of my little group was no more than 3 years for 21 million. Definitely not more than 3 years.

While I do agree for a fact that Darko should be worth only this because every big man in his situation (with an expiring contract) should have been motivated to be playing really well to get a big contract, but I may be wrong to expect this thing from him. Maybe he just needs more playing experience to become a better player and money isn't an issue.

I was at the game last night and was very pleased with Milicic's play. Arroyo and Milicic raised the intensity of the game and changed the momentum in favor of Orlando. I have not had a problem with Milicic coming off the bench all season because the team needs Darko or Howard on the floor at ALL times.

Darko only got 16 minutes last night but he did make a favorable difference.

Arroyo's play was directly benefitted by Darko last night. Watch the tape. Darko was the one setting hard screens for Arroyo. Arroyo's man couldn't get through and Arroyo got at least two easy buckets because of Darko.

Also, when Battie was on the floor in the first, Mikki Moore was killing us. Darko defended him much better.

I don't know, he played pretty well in the second half. 3 or 4 years sounds good for right now but he will probably get closer to 8 or 9 million a season. For a talented big guy that is a decent bargain.