Sign in to follow this  
ivielma

Improved Turk

I know he can be inconsistent but has anyone noticed that he's more consistent now that he gets regular minutes. He's also been able to step up his game, handling the ball, dribble penetrations, dunking and the 3ball. I think this has a lot to do with GHill leaving and Turk knowing on a consistent basis that he is getting his minutes. When it was Hill one day and Turk another, you never knew what was coming. Conspiracy theory...maybe GHill was slipping the "virus" into Turks coffee every morning?!?

I know he can be inconsistent but has anyone noticed that he's more consistent now that he gets regular minutes. He's also been able to step up his game, handling the ball, dribble penetrations, dunking and the 3ball. I think this has a lot to do with GHill leaving and Turk knowing on a consistent basis that he is getting his minutes. When it was Hill one day and Turk another, you never knew what was coming. Conspiracy theory...maybe GHill was slipping the "virus" into Turks coffee every morning?!?

quote:
Originally posted by ivielma:

I forgot to give him props for his improved defense.

Great thread, I've wanted to discuss this a bit, although i did in the other thread. But, yes Hedo has improved his game this year with a nice consistent touch and it is really quite pleasing to see, although i still get the chills when he drives to the basket, thats when the flashbacks of last years turnovers come in. But, in the light of things Hedo has been a very good helping hand this year and has satisfied me with his play thus far, and also he is not launching up every ball he gets, hes learning to dish it a bit now, because he knows after looking at last years season stat sheet on FG's taken, they were much higher then they should have been. Good thread. Get more thoughts coming through hopefully. Oh, and on the GHill subject, and his terrible virus that he brought upon Orlando, and possibly Hedo, I don't think it had anything to do with GHill, I thought it was a matter of taking just flat out bad, and ill advised shots from Hedo most of last year.

The big improvement is Turk's aggressiveness. With Grant Hill gone, it's up to Turk to provide dribble penetration from the wing positions.

He has elite ballhandling skills for his size so it's good to see him using those skills to help open up the floor for himself and his teammates.

Turk has been pissing me off last few games. Though he made it up with some clutch plays but other than clutch he hasn't been making much. I knew the streak wouldnt last.

true otown, but at the same time he's one of those guys that even though his shot isn't falling, he helps the team out in so many other ways...like great passing, great ballhandling, great decisions....he's even rebounding.

He'll play much better this year than last year because his intensity has gone up, and he's not only settling for 3s...he's driving as well.

The man is like superman too. Not sure if you all noticed last night but Turk tweaked his ankle last night, and like one of the first games of the season where he did the same thing, he stayed in the game and played it off. Turk's got a lot of heart and I'm glad we have him on our squad.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

Don't know if anyone noticed but when Jameer is on the bench the offense is going through Hedo. He's acting as a point-forward and he's been doing a decent job with it.

I have seen him grab a rebound or get the ball, Carlos is right there next to him looking for the ball and he won't pass it, he will take it down and setup the offense....Is this planned, or does he not want to pass Carlos the ball....When Jameer is in the game he inmediately gives him the ball...I am not saying anything, its just an observation....

Last year GHill and Turk both had consistent minutes, so he could have played the same way, except the coach was a tyrant...

Turk looks confident and ready to prove the world he can be an allstar. This is benefiting our team.

His defense has been very good, for the most part, and his offense is great as always....He might not be scoring 25 a game, but he is doing his job fine.

You know what?...if we happen to get a good big sometime this season, when we play Detroit from now on, we could always slide hedo to PG part of the game. He can handle the ball well enough to play PG and he would create a mismatch on Chauncey. Of course Chauncey would still be able to blow by him, but at least turk is much taller than jameer or carlos, so I think turk being in the vicinity of Chauncey could bother his shot just enough. Kind of the same concept Detroit used against us last game where Prince played some PG as well.

quote:
I have seen him grab a rebound or get the ball, Carlos is right there next to him looking for the ball and he won't pass it, he will take it down and setup the offense....Is this planned, or does he not want to pass Carlos the ball....When Jameer is in the game he inmediately gives him the ball...I am not saying anything, its just an observation....

I noticed this too... My buddy that I watch the games with HATES Carlos with a passion. I don't know why, he just hates the kid. Everytime he gets put into the game he starts screaming at the tv 'Don't put him in, dont give the ball to Carlos' stuff like that. Naturally, Turk is quickly becoming one of his favorite players.

quote:
Originally posted by davcivic:

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

Don't know if anyone noticed but when Jameer is on the bench the offense is going through Hedo. He's acting as a point-forward and he's been doing a decent job with it.

Last year GHill and Turk both had consistent minutes, so he could have played the same way, except the coach was a tyrant...

Turk looks confident and ready to prove the world he can be an allstar. This is benefiting our team.

His defense has been very good, for the most part, and his offense is great as always....He might not be scoring 25 a game, but he is doing his job fine.

I think it is planned Dave. I think they are using Carlos off the ball kinda like a small 2 when he is in there with Hedo. Because Hedo is so tall I think it's a really good idea to have him running the offense in spurts. We all know the guy can definatley pass.

When I went to that tip off lunch I talked to Marcin and he mentioned that Hedo had the most things to learn and work on out of everyone on the team. He said that Hedo was basically working on 4 different positions, I asked Point Guard too? and he said yes. Then we both mentioned how amazing of a player Hedo is because the guy is smart enough and skilled enough to play that many different roles. He may be streaky but when he is on he is an excellent basketball player.