Sign in to follow this  
ThisIsTheYear

Anymore Jameer Doubters out there?

quote:
Originally posted by Tough Break There:

I doubt they'll speak up now...

bzzz wrong!

Jameer was the man out there tonight and he's being playing really good lately. We all knew he had the ability, but mentally his IQ wasn't there yet, it took a coach like SVG to tell him how to play, and he's responding very well.

While it's true that he takes those awful last second shotclock beaters that seldom go in, he did come up with that steal to balance the critical turnovers he'd just commited, which is good, great actually! That steal was awesome and it created momemntum.

Now, while he can't help his height, LiLPenny's noted he's doing a much better job of staying in front of his man, and on offense he's not shooting the ball in every possesion like before. He's realized there are too many high caliber scorers in this team for him to be doing that, so lately he's being going to the hole mostly. He's learned to time those better so that defenders aren't sure if he's passing it or laying it up.

All he has to do is pass the ball and his assists go up easily. The guy could easily could be one of the top assists man in the east if he puts his mand to it with all the shooters in this team.

We have to give some credit to Stan here who's telling him how to play winning team basketball because when Jameer was doing whatever he wanted because Brian Hill allowed it, he had a bad season and the team struggled. Glad that era is behind us!

Keep it up Nelson, you're doing great!

O.K. there have been a lot of tip toeing around here...I don't know where Smack and Knappy are but I guess I will have to say it........... With the exception of Rashard Lewis, SVG pretty much has the same team as last year! O.K. Darko is gone, and so is GHill.....but I did not think we would miss them, and up until this point, not a mention from the press about it either!!!!

What does that say you ask? BHill had the same opportunity to open up the floor and let these guy's play....but he choose to go in another direction, and that was staying with his (princeton) style of play! I don't care to go to far with the BHill thing but it is obvious to me that had the same amount of confidence and lattitude been extended to these guy's under BHill, last seasons results would have been much different...for the positive! I knew Jameer had it in him, like our other guy's you have to create a system that takes full advantage of there collective talents. Hat's off to SVG, likewise to Jameer, and oh yeah how about tipping your hat in the direction of Otis Smith, for having the vision, and the guts to get behind it! Go magic!!

Much love for Jameer here as well, hes really stepping up his effort every game and most importantly, understanding his role as the leader and point guard of this team, distributing the ball to the key players who can change the game, and yes, keep his opponent guessing at what hes going to do, and for his defense, its improving but we all know the taller point guards he will have trouble with throughout the seasons.

quote:
He's still not that great--Rondo is better.

I hope you mean this defensively speaking.

There is just no way Rondo is better than Jameer.

If Rondo is better than Jameer, its got to be the big 3 of the Celtics making him look good, otherwise, there is just no way right now. IMO

Im a Jameer critic and i have to say until this point Jameer show a better performance than last year. Like Junk said the defense is something to still work.

Im a magic fan first of all, and Jameer is doing fine for our team at this point.

Jameer is doing exactly what JN needs to do and that is move the ball+ run and get everyone else invlolved. Mistakes will happen, but he is playing at a different level.

I really like how Jameer is playing right now as well. I love his effort on defense. Jameer is really using his body to fight through the screens and catching back up with the opposing PG quickly. Big difference than last year. I think his speed seems to be a big advantage for us. He gets most of his points from blowing by other PGs and scoring layups. If he keeps this up, I would be very comfortable keeping him as our starting PG for many seasons to come.

This does bring up another question though. We are very suceptable (sp?) to losing either Carlos or Keyon after this season, or both. Could even be before the trade deadline. Carlos is playing decently well in the back up roll but if he makes it to the offseason, he is the one I see bolting to another team for a bigger role. That being said, who do you all think would be a viable back up for Jameer moving forward. One that would also fit in with the our team chemistry. Let's take a moment to think about this, because I know in the past we have considered point guards who could possibly join the magic, but at the time we were considering other PGs as starters. Now I would like us to consider PGs who would be a suitable BACKUP to Nelson. Anyone have any ideas? I'm not bringing this up to say we are in need to change, but more just out of curiosity and just in case.

Do everything you can to get Chris Duhon. The one thing that Jameer will still have issues with is bigger PG's. Luckily there are not a ton of them so you pick up a backup that can defend the bigger ones when you need to.

Aside from that I'm happy with him. He's getting people involved early in the game and getting them the ball in the right places.

I think he's playing much better in the offensive end. I think he is better controling the game now than last year. It also seems that he's executing some important plays when they are needed to win games.

However, I still want to give him until at least the end of the year, when the Magic have played all sorts of teams and level of competition, to see how he can handle that. He seems steady right now offensively, although he sometimes have off shooting nights, but I still think an opposite PG can destroy the team by exploiting Jameer's size disadvantage in defense, not to mention having a series vs that kind of PG.

But right now, thinks are looking good for him, and he can still improve with the experience he's getting.

BTW, can somebody give an opinion on how his quickness affects bigger PGs? We always talk about height and strenght, but is Jameer's quickness good enough to give bigger PGs trouble defending him? It always help to put the other team in a mismatch position, as we all know.

Good suggestion Marc. I love the idea of Chris Duhon and I really don't see him staying with the Bulls next year.

I'm also interested in Marcus Banks. I think he is one of the better back up point guards in the league that just marinates on the Suns bench. He can shoot the ball, and the shoot the 3, and he has a history of playing good defense back when he was in Boston. I'm sure it wouldn't be tough for SVG to get him back in that defensive mindset because at least we know he's capable of it. He is 6'2 and 200 lbs so he would be able to match up well with Chauncey (it's funny, when I think of another PG coming to the magic, the first thought in my head is...would he be able to guard Chauncey...and nothing else, lol).

Any other suggestions or comments to the Duhon and Banks ideas?

I was a big fan of Jameer in college for the same reasons he's showing now. He reminds me a lot of Avery Johnson - and once he got over his "I'm A.I.!" kick, he was fine.