Sign in to follow this  
MagicManMatt13

All time worst move by the orlando magic

This is easy, despite an array of strong candidates to choose from.

Hiring Brian Hill to replace Matty Guakos!

The Magic were the most talented young team in the NBA, possibly in the history of the NBA. Going with an inexperienced coach was a huge mistake. Especially, when you consider the established coaches in the league who would have jumped at the opportunity to mold young Shaq.

The fallout was predictable. The Magic's young core failed to develop outside of possibly Penny. The team was swept from the playoffs every single season under Napolean and the primary reason Shaq bolted for LA was because the organization refused to fire Napolean.

Not only was hiring Napolean the single biggest mistake the organization ever made, it directly lead to many of the others that would appear on a top 10 list, and the organization later repeated it. Had the organization put their talented young roster in the hands of a coach like Daly or Riley instead of Guakos' top assistant, the history of the Magic would likely be very, very different than it is today.

I thought we would put these negatives behind long ago............and never speak of them again. Guess this poster wasn't around when we said that.

Shaq leaving plain and simple, whatever he wanted he should have been given. New coach, biggest contract, movie deal with disney, we should have made it happen.

Just off the top of my head from the posts that I haven't seen mentioned, drafting Jerryl Sasser and Reece Gaines.

I'll never forget after we traded Reece to another team and they came to Amway Arena for a pre-season game. The other team was trying to make Reece a point guard too.

It was right after we had drafted Jameer. Reece came into the game and was matched up against Jameer. Nelson picked him up full court and Reece was trying to bring the ball up the court by himself.

Nelson picked his pocket and scored clean layups not once, not twice but three consecutive possessions.

It's the last time I ever heard of Reece until this guy showed up posting on our boards!j/k

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Just off the top of my head from the posts that I haven't seen mentioned, drafting Jerryl Sasser and Reece Gaines.

I'll never forget after we traded Reece to another team and they came to Amway Arena for a pre-season game. The other team was trying to make Reece a point guard too.

It was right after we had drafted Jameer. Reece came into the game and was matched up against Jameer. Nelson picked him up full court and Reece was trying to bring the ball up the court by himself.

Nelson picked his pocket and scored clean layups not once, not twice but three consecutive possessions.

It's the last time I ever heard of Reece until this guy showed up posting on our boards!j/k

I agree. Let's take a look at the names we could have had instead of Mr. Gaines.

David West

Boris Diaw

Dahntay Jones

Travis Outlaw

Brian Cook

Carlos Delfino

Ndudi Ebi (lolz j/k!)

Kendrick Perkins

Leandro Barbosa

JOSH HOWARD

Shall I stop? No? ok..

Jason Kapono (but we got Rashard, so same thing right?)

Luke Walton

Steve Blake

Willie Green

Kyle Korver

James Jones

Matt Carroll

Marquis Daniels

Udonis Haslem

And last, but not least Quinton Ross.

WOW

quote:
Originally posted by MagicManMatt13:

Post what you think is the all time worst move by the orlando magic franchise. Dont just limit ideas to trades and draft picks, think about management and other ideas also.

Losing SHAQ.

Everything before or since (including giving away T-MAC, Corey Maggette, Chauncey Billups, Ben Wallace, and the list goes on and on) pales in comparison to allowing the most dominant player of his era (Michael Jordan was the prior era) to leave this team.

It is the all time blunder of all blunders!

On a positive note, Dwight Howard is starting to look like he may get into "SHAQ status". Memo to the front office, don't repeat the mistakes of the past. D-12 needs to have about a 20 year career here in O-Town!

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Sasser was by far the worse selection. Gaines didn't prove to be much of a player in the league, but he was good in college, and not a reach.

Sasser on the other hand didn't even play PG in college and had a worse looking jump shot than Bo Outlaw, ok, almost. He was also selected ahead of Jamaal Tinsley, Tony Parker, & Gilbert Arenas.

When you add the earlier selection of Steven Hunter in that draft over Zach Randolph, it was easily the worst draft ever. We reached for both of these players by about 10 selections & neither had an ounce of basketball skill.

Interesting story on Tony Parker in that draft. Red Aurbach was presently retired as the GM of the C-Men and stayed away from trying to manage the team from over ML Carr's shoulder. But, he watched workouts, ect, & told ML Carr that Parker would be a player. ML ignored his advice, drafted Joseph Forte instead, and the rest is history. I don't know, if the greatest GM in the history of the NBA offered advice, I would probably be inclined to accept it.

Let's not foreget signing Rashard for twice his value, not resigning Darko and then using Darko type money on Jameer.

Hahaha MagicMatt^^ I remember one of my first threads was complaining how the mascot was so... flakey. But everyone seemed to like him and say how he entertained the children... and think of the children...

Letting Shaq go (without compensation!!) was the worst move. It was the worst move because everyone could tell that Shaq was going to dominate in the NBA.

@Marc: You can't say we lost a defensive player of the year for Grant Hill. When Ben Wallace was in Orlando he was nowhere near the player that he became in Detroit. I mean it's like you say: "Worst move ever: the Hornets traded Kobe Bryant for Vlade Divac!!" or "OMG, the Bucks traded Dirk Nowitzki for Robert Traylor!!" Grant and Shaq were All-Stars when they got traded / left