Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

To Boo, or not to Boo? Grant/Otis comment in Denton's blog

Actually Saucemoney, I'm not mad at him for that at all. I don't think that part was his fault and I don't think he could have done anything about it.

I wasn't mad at Grant for anything till he walked away from the team without giving us a chance to get something in return. He has every right to sign where ever he wants but he could have helped us get something in return, and that is why I'm mad.

I hope he has a healthy happy life, filled with basketball losses and championship dissapointments.

I am not going to say what everyone on here should or should not do. Boo if you want or don't, but don't tell me that we are all ungrateful and wrong for being pissed at the guy for what he did before he left.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

Actually Saucemoney, I'm not mad at him for that at all. I don't think that part was his fault and I don't think he could have done anything about it.

I wasn't mad at Grant for anything till he walked away from the team without giving us a chance to get something in return. He has every right to sign where ever he wants but he could have helped us get something in return, and that is why I'm mad.

I hope he has a healthy happy life, filled with basketball losses and championship dissapointments.

I am not going to say what everyone on here should or should not do. Boo if you want or don't, but don't tell me that we are all ungrateful and wrong for being pissed at the guy for what he did before he left.

Well said, I would never begrudge Grant for not living up to his contract because his injuries were in large part not his fault. Had he given the Magic at least a opportunity to talk to him after they got all the Lewis stuff finished, amybe I and a lot of other fans would not be mad at him. But for him to continually take from this organization over 7 years, the least he could have done is have a face to face with Otis and ownership and hear them out. Hear them completely out with an open mind and give them a chance to retain him if they so pleased.

The Man was talking to Steve Kerr during the playoffs and many around the league felt there was already a handshake deal before the finals were ever concluded. That is a sign of a man with bad character.

I was always told that words of the man do not make his character rather his actions are what made the character of the man. For all the good will and good Hill may have done for the Magic while here as a player, in my eyes he undid everything this offseason never giving the organization a chance at keeping him, nor giving them a chance to work a sign and trade.

Does everyone not forget this is the guy we gave up Chucky and Ben for just to get him and extra year on his contract. Did we need to do that for him??? No but we did and he should have atleast given us the same courtesy. Instead Thomas goes to the Sonics along with 2 first round draft picks. In return the Suns got caps space??? Are you freaking kidding me??? Grant could not at least tried to work that deal for the Magic???

quote:
Does everyone not forget this is the guy we gave up Chucky and Ben for just to get him and extra year on his contract. Did we need to do that for him??? No

No??? Every team would do that for him.

I had always thought of Hill as a class act and seem to remember that he was grateful for the team and fans who stood behind him--and intended to come back and play for the minimum salary in order to repay the fans and teammates for the loss of his ability to play when we needed him. Did I dream that? Don't think so--but when the dollar sign spoke, he heard the call and away he went. After accepting the millions of dollars to look darn good in a dress suit. I respected him--until he changed the tune for good ole "self". I hope he feels guilty all the way to his final injury on the court. We know it is coming.

Yea, we we're really giving him the business all night (even during the Anthem). Hill looks horribly out of place on this team, even though they're still a real solid group.

The Suns need 3-point shooters on the court at all times, and that's one thing that Grant isn't. He actually started airballing them by the end.

quote:
Originally posted by Die Hard Fan:

...but when the dollar sign spoke, he heard the call and away he went.

Now that is just plain wrong! I don't think that money played ANY role here.

quote:
Originally posted by MagicFanBen:

You could BLAME Grant for so many things. Forget his health for the moment. Go back and research what John Weisbrod said about trading for Tony Battie and Doug Christie. Weisbrod explicitly pointed out that he leaned on Grant Hill when making those decisions saying Grant was very informative about the type of player the Magic should bring in and he was very specific when talking about Battie and Christie.

Back up even further when the Magic PROTECTED him during the expansion draft because he was getting healthy and they wanted to give him assurances he was still in their long term plans. That move cost us Zaza.

Now back track to the trade deadline of this year. One of the reasons assumed in the paper for Otis not pulling off a deal is because of the talent he was going to have to give up WITH Grant Hill and they did not want to runthe risk of losing Hill and the talent.

By My calculations had Otis not been confident that Grant was going to remain for the minimum, Otis would have worked much harder to trade Grant.

Case in Point, look at what the Trailblazers did just to get rid of Randolph? They took Francis and bought him out and ll they got was Frye. Which Basically means they paid over $40 million for Frye since that is what they had to pay Francis to buy him out.

Look at what Seatle got for Ray Allen??? They took back a huge contract in Wally S. and got a #5 Pick. I submit a package of JJ, Trevor and Hill would have been a better deal.

We also had to lose Darko, Travis and our Mid-Level exception because of how we needed to manuver just to get under the cap for Lewis. Had we traded Hill, we would still have both Travis and Darko, PLUS we would have been able to chase any free agent with our Mid-Level exception...can you say Gerald Wallace?

We could have had JRich straight up because the Bobcats gave up nothing for him.

Could have had A.I. too if we wanted to chase him.

But all we got was an overpaid Lewis and lost everything else.

Boo Grant and Boo him loud. I am very surprised no journalist has the balls to right a story that includes all Grant cost the Magic. Hill is classless, very very classless.

You made some great points, but a few of them are a little off.

Doug Christie, I had forgotten this, but you are absolutely correct. Grant Hill was a huge influence in making this deal.

Za Za - You could say that, you could more easily wonder why we didn't leave Garrity unprotected. Either way. Even if we didn't want Za Za, it was well known going into the expansion draft that Charlotte was drafting Za Za in order to trade him to Milwakee. Why not leave Garrity or Hill unprotected and trade Za Za ourselves if we didn't want him?

Charlotte did give up the rights to a coveted lottery pick to acquire J-Rich.

The Daytona Beach papers "rip" Magic fans calling them classless:

quote:

This, indeed, was Orlando's chance to thank Hill for not taking his $93 million and retiring five years ago when that would've been a very easy option.

Instead, the Magic fans blew it.

They booed him during introductions. They booed him whenever he touched the ball, made a shot, made a move or a simple pass. They then made crass remarks about his ankle, and in doing so proved themselves to be as classless as Hill has been classy over the years.

It's a gesture Hill didn't deserve, no matter how disappointing his on-court career turned out for Orlando. Over the years, Hill has been one of the good guys in the league, and it's a shame the Magic fans failed to recognize that.

"That was tough," Orlando point guard Jameer Nelson said. "I definitely didn't agree with that. He hasn't done anything wrong. I definitely didn't think he deserved that."

A FRESH START

It's obvious Magic fans thought Hill owed the city another year to make a run at an NBA title. The thing is, it's also obvious the Orlando fans know little about the business of the league.

There was little negotiation between Hill and the Magic brass last summer when his contract ran out. And silence speaks volumes. You wouldn't want to stay where you aren't wanted, would you? I didn't think so. Hill didn't either.

It was time for him to get a fresh start. In Orlando, Hill would've forever been remembered by his struggles with his health. He would've been forever remembered for not leading the Magic to the Promised Land, and that tends to wear on a man.

With the Suns, Hill gets a fresh start. He's able to blend in, not having to carry the load on a given night. In short, he's able to play the game that he's been suited to play all along.

It was also widely reported that during the national anthem at a point when the music paused and everything was silent some fan hollered out, "Grant, you Suck"! Being as how I was at the game I heard the fan yell, I was unable to tell what he said though.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/Spo...s/sptMAG02111107.htm

now, although i was one of the boo-ers (not in person...but in heart...lawl), to yell that or yell ANYTHING during our great country's anthem is just ridiculous...

words cannot describe how angry that makes me...so im just gonna leave it at that...