Sign in to follow this  
The Solution

Knicks' Thomas wanted Rashard Lewis, got Randolph

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

Of the people you listed, How many of those are max players? How many are fringe all-stars?

Gilbert Arenas-Max guy

Baron Davis-Max

Allen Iverson-soon to be 80

Emeka Okafor-Max? Nope

Elton Brand-Max

Luol Deng-Max? It's a projection who knows

Josh Smith-Headcase

Andre Iguodala-See Deng

Jermaine O'Neal-When was his last full season?

Shawn Marion-See Iverson

Ben Gordon-1 trick pony

Jose Calderon-Not a max but a darn good PG

Antawn Jamison-No

Ron Artest-too frightened to let him near the team

Andris Biedrins-9pts 10boards this season

Corey Maggette-No

Monta Ellis-No

With the exception of Calderon and Ellis who on that list is taking 12.5? Who on that list is likely to switch teams? Besides Arenas and Brand who is a can't miss? If we use Rashards deal as an example then a max guy is going to eat up 16 mill by himself. Not to mention that we still don't know for sure that we could even get the guy we need.

Say you have 25 million. You can start a guy like Okafor at 15 million (escalating), and a guy like Calderon at 7 million, and you still have 3 million to spare.

A front line defense of Howard and Okafor (with Hedo), with a Nash-lite PG like Calderon commanding the offense is unbeatable.

Then you still have your scrubs like Ariza and Foyle and Bogans (and other minimum type players we have now) to round out the rest.

Or you can be high octane team with Howard, Arenas, Hedo and say, Josh Smith.

Tons of possibilities that was better than strapping us onto this mediore Jameer-Shard-Dwight train we're on.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

Give me the same ol' crap, and i'll give you my same dumb comments that help me ease the pain.

Apparently the same ol' crap is all that interests you since the majority of your posts are adolescent cartoons & worthless opinions that rarely pertain to the topic.

This is a Magic basketball forum, not a Sesam Street forum. Why don't you go ride Big Birds beak for a while and see if you can learn your ABC's.

Can we go back to discussing the topic now?

quote:

You only have 8 players on the roster and you have 19.7 to fill 6 roster spots. If you let Jameer go you have 7 spots to fill at 25 mill. Considering a difference maker is going to command more than 12.5, I'd say we could pick 1 guy and not a lot else and we'd still need a scorer and a starting PG.

Whoa Marc!

Have you looked at next year's roster. With the addition of Shard & now Jameer, this team has 7 players commited to 53.4 million. That's not counting Foyle & Ariza who both have team options. So, how do you propose the Magic fill their 8 roster spots with zero cap space?

That's right, one MLE, and a host of vet minimum contracts, possibly a draft choice or two (2nd rounder).

Smack, let me explain something to you. This is a message board. I do not eat,sleep, and live by it. I have fun with it at work and thats where it ends. I am a loyal Magic fan. Not a loyal Smackdaddy fan.

Now, my comment was not intended to start some sort of internet war of words with you. Why you must question my intelect is beyond me. Why? Because i'm not 80 years old and like to have a little fun? Sorry. Let me go back to my labor boss.

You want my 2 cents? As long as we're winning, i'm ok with the Shard signing, and see no reason to try to figure out why it happened or why it shouldn't of happened. I can show you numerous threads about this subject. Why are we STILL discussing it.

How about we discuss how many wins we are getting this season. Or how about what games will be the most exciting to us.

Nooooooo, let's all sit around and critique everything to no end.

It's got to stop at some point my friend.

Sorry you didn't get the Cavemen reference. I guess while i'm at home watching some TV and drinking my juicebox, you're out doing..I dunno..."Grown up" things I just wouldn't understand.

Gimme a break man. And if i'm the message board clown or dunce, then so be it. I'm fine with that.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Dang man, Smack's taking on the whole board by himself. You go boy!

Smack, I'm glad you are posting on this subject or I'd be accepting as truth some of the things that others would have you believe about the Rashard signing. I dislike the business part of the NBA but I do realize it is an important part.

I'm glad Smack is willing to speak his mind even when all around him are trying to say otherwise.

You know I don't have a problem speaking my mind. lol

quote:
Originally posted by ReeceGaines:

quote:

Of the people you listed, How many of those are max players? How many are fringe all-stars?

Gilbert Arenas-Max guy

Baron Davis-Max

Allen Iverson-soon to be 80

Emeka Okafor-Max? Nope

Elton Brand-Max

Luol Deng-Max? It's a projection who knows

Josh Smith-Headcase

Andre Iguodala-See Deng

Jermaine O'Neal-When was his last full season?

Shawn Marion-See Iverson

Ben Gordon-1 trick pony

Jose Calderon-Not a max but a darn good PG

Antawn Jamison-No

Ron Artest-too frightened to let him near the team

Andris Biedrins-9pts 10boards this season

Corey Maggette-No

Monta Ellis-No

With the exception of Calderon and Ellis who on that list is taking 12.5? Who on that list is likely to switch teams? Besides Arenas and Brand who is a can't miss? If we use Rashards deal as an example then a max guy is going to eat up 16 mill by himself. Not to mention that we still don't know for sure that we could even get the guy we need.

Say you have 25 million. You can start a guy like Okafor at 15 million (escalating), and a guy like Calderon at 7 million, and you still have 3 million to spare.

A front line defense of Howard and Okafor (with Hedo), with a Nash-lite PG like Calderon commanding the offense is unbeatable.

Then you still have your scrubs like Ariza and Foyle and Bogans (and other minimum type players we have now) to round out the rest.

Or you can be high octane team with Howard, Arenas, Hedo and say, Josh Smith.

Tons of possibilities that was better than strapping us onto this mediore Jameer-Shard-Dwight train we're on.

Reece, I agree that this team is very thin upfront and that Lewis is overpaid but you cannot just assume that since you have cap space that you can sign players. Arenas will get the absolute max from Washington. Okafor and Josh Smith are restriced so you would have to wait and see if their teams would match which they probably will and good luck working out a sign and trade within the division.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

I can show you numerous threads about this subject. Why are we STILL discussing it.

How about we discuss how many wins we are getting this season. Or how about what games will be the most exciting to us.

It's being discussed because a current, relevent article was posted today discussing the Knicks interest in Rashard.

If you want to discuss W-L's, then I'm sure there are dozens of other threads on that topic.

I just love the people that see the title of the thread, read the posts in the thread, and then contribute by saying, "Same ol' crap".

It's worthless.

Oh lord, not the 'Otis Smith' convinced Weisbrod to choose Howard argument again. We've argued about this like 3 times, each time I've asked for you to show me a quote or a reference to it, and it has never been shown, because it is fiction within your own mind. I'll ask for the the fourth time though, show me this 'quote' you keep refering to.

Back in the 2004 draft, Otis was very very low on the totem pole, coming off being a community organized for the Warriors. If anyone was giving advice, it'd have been Dave Tward. Otis was his GS lackey subordinate until they needed to throw Dave under the bus for the Fran debacle as a scape goat. To claim he was the one 'secretely behind' us signing Hedo half a decade ago when he had 0 experience in any managerial role is absurd.

However, if you want to run with the angle of Otis having been the 'shadow GM' for years before he was actually GM, why don't we start to blame him for trading T-Mac for Steve Francis, and trading Mobley for Doug Christie, or trading Anderson V and Drew Gooden for Tony Battie?

I mean, you're claming he was 'secretely' making moves back to the Hedo signing, so why not? Both ways my friend.

quote:
Originally posted by Drain-O:

Reece, I agree that this team is very thin upfront and that Lewis is overpaid but you cannot just assume that since you have cap space that you can sign players. Arenas will get the absolute max from Washington. Okafor and Josh Smith are restriced so you would have to wait and see if their teams would match which they probably will and good luck working out a sign and trade within the division.

I do think you made a good point about tenure though. So many of this year's free agents won't qualify to get anywhere near the money that Shard did, even with max contracts.

Yeah, but we knew that already. I remember reading articles that Zeek wanted Shard way before we even signed him. I'm not trying to argue that you don't have a right to discuss it again. I'm trying to say that I feel it's ridiculous, and in turn will give a ridiculous response to this thread.

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

KNICK'S' THOMAS WANTED RASHARD LEWIS, GOT RANDOLPH

BY ALAN HAHN

November 9, 2007

FOR ENTIRE ARTICLE READ:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/ny-spknix09545...ov09,0,6637666.story

quote:

Those with knowledge of the Knicks' plans last spring believed they had the pieces to acquire the all-star forward, who is in his prime at 28.

Lewis was considering the Knicks, Magic and Cavaliers. His first stop was Orlando, and Magic general manager Otis Smith never gave the other teams a chance to negotiate. Smith got Lewis to verbally commit to a six-year deal worth more than $110 million weeks before the July signing period, when the sign-and-trade with Seattle was officially completed.

Doesn't jive with the first news report by local channel 7 after being contacted by the Magic stating a 5 year deal was agreed to by Rashard Lewis for 75 million.

This article doesn't jive with reality either. The Knicks traded for Randolph on DRAFT DAY. I guess this "journalist" is unaware that was two weeks before FA begins.

Sure, the Knicks were interested, but they weren't going to get Seattle to eat the contracts of Q Richardson AND Jamal Crawford to make it happen. They tried to acquire Lewis in addition to Randolph.

Lewis' agent, I guess you have to give him credit. But, if he left Orlando with an agreement, you have to question the ethics of an individual who continues to shop his client after that. Lewis may not have visited other teams, but his agent was surely burning up the phone lines to milk another 35M out of Otis.

More revisionist history & poor journalism.