The Solution

Knicks' Thomas wanted Rashard Lewis, got Randolph

KNICK'S' THOMAS WANTED RASHARD LEWIS, GOT RANDOLPH

BY ALAN HAHN

November 9, 2007

FOR ENTIRE ARTICLE READ:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/ny-spknix09545...ov09,0,6637666.story

quote:

Those with knowledge of the Knicks' plans last spring believed they had the pieces to acquire the all-star forward, who is in his prime at 28.

Lewis was considering the Knicks, Magic and Cavaliers. His first stop was Orlando, and Magic general manager Otis Smith never gave the other teams a chance to negotiate. Smith got Lewis to verbally commit to a six-year deal worth more than $110 million weeks before the July signing period, when the sign-and-trade with Seattle was officially completed.

Doesn't jive with the first news report by local channel 7 after being contacted by the Magic stating a 5 year deal was agreed to by Rashard Lewis for 75 million.

KNICK'S' THOMAS WANTED RASHARD LEWIS, GOT RANDOLPH

BY ALAN HAHN

November 9, 2007

FOR ENTIRE ARTICLE READ:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/ny-spknix09545...ov09,0,6637666.story

quote:

Those with knowledge of the Knicks' plans last spring believed they had the pieces to acquire the all-star forward, who is in his prime at 28.

Lewis was considering the Knicks, Magic and Cavaliers. His first stop was Orlando, and Magic general manager Otis Smith never gave the other teams a chance to negotiate. Smith got Lewis to verbally commit to a six-year deal worth more than $110 million weeks before the July signing period, when the sign-and-trade with Seattle was officially completed.

Doesn't jive with the first news report by local channel 7 after being contacted by the Magic stating a 5 year deal was agreed to by Rashard Lewis for 75 million.

quote:
"We made it clear to the Magic," Lewis' agent, Tony Dutt, said yesterday, "if we left without a deal, it would be tough to get one done."

Lewis often has expressed his appreciation for playing at the Garden and an interest in becoming a Knick. Dutt said the Knicks were "definitely in the game" but added that negotiations with the Magic moved so quickly, "we never got to that stage" with the Knicks.

You see, Otis HAD to pay. I'm pretty sure Isiah would've worked out that 6-year S&T deal. Looks like Otis HADDDDDDD to overpay to keep Rashard here.

This is a good article to shed some light on the situation.

It's like an Ebay auction....There's a toy from your childhood you really really want. You've been looking for it for a long time and have never seen one available....all of a sudden, there it is....but you are not the only one that wants it...So you bid, and bid, and over bid, thinking I don't care how much it is, I want this and I need it.....

So far Rashard is working perfectly with Dwight....just what we needed....If Battie was still in for the season, we would be much better....

It sounds like a bluff. What was Seattle going to take back? It would have had to be a sign and trade. I don't think the Knicks could have given up another draft pick and they were so far over the cap it would have had to be Francis or something like that. Seattle has been clearing cap space, I'm not sure that they would have taken on more salary.

What we have to ask ourselves is could we have afforded to call their bluff and be wrong? If we came away from the offseason without a scorer what would have happened?

the story would have broke out that Lewis wanted a max contract but we didn't offer it, and all of us, or a lot of the members would have been calling out Otis for not giving him the contract.....They would have been complaining that it was the piece we needed and it didn't matter how much it took, we had to have him...

Different situation....same result....people are never happy

I don't the Knicks were a huge threat, but who knows. Maybe Seattle would have taken on Steve-O's salary like Portland did if Zeke through in a David Lee (who would have made a nice young forward pairing with Durant).

The thing is 5 or 6 years and a little less really had no effect on keeping Darko at the number he wanted. Houston and Cleveland wanted him as well which would have given Seattle three different places to work a sign and trade instead of losing him for nothing.

we need to start Howard and Foyle tonight. Rashard is going to have his hands full gaurding Randolph on the block.. in fact, I dont think he can do it. He will just pick up cheap fouls.

quote:
Originally posted by davcivic:

the story would have broke out that Lewis wanted a max contract but we didn't offer it, and all of us, or a lot of the members would have been calling out Otis for not giving him the contract.....They would have been complaining that it was the piece we needed and it didn't matter how much it took, we had to have him...

Different situation....same result....people are never happy

Can you imagine the headlines? Magic come away with nothing because they are too cheap to pay a max contract! Grab your pitchforks! Lets storm the RDV!

I don't fault anyone for the signing, just wish we had done a lot of other things differently leading up to the signing.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

I don't the Knicks were a huge threat, but who knows. Maybe Seattle would have taken on Steve-O's salary like Portland did if Zeke through in a David Lee (who would have made a nice young forward pairing with Durant).

The thing is 5 or 6 years and a little less really had no effect on keeping Darko at the number he wanted. Houston and Cleveland wanted him as well which would have given Seattle three different places to work a sign and trade instead of losing him for nothing.

The problem I have with that logic is that we could've called that bluff, and had a really good shot at getting Lewis for less. The only trade pieces Cleveland had were the bad contracts of Gooden and Hughes, and they wouldn't be able to dump those on anyone without giving up about 800 draft picks. And New york is a sea of bad contracts, with only Lee as a piece to push the trade through, and Thomas has already shown he doesn't want to trade Lee. That leaves Houston.

Enough with the hometown discount talk. Houston had nothing whatsoever to facilitate that trade. Bobby Sura's contract was the only tradeable piece they had not named McGrady or Ming, neither of whom were going anywhere.

Otis got pwned like a n00b, plain and simple. Am I happy we have Rashard? Absolutely. Do I think we could've gotten him at a rate 3m a year cheaper had we played our cards right? Also, absolutely.

Davcivic, the big difference between your analogy and reality...we're not building a toy collection. We're building a championship contender. There is only one way to do that, through careful planning and shrewd operation.

You have to look at what was reported. The Knicks wanted Shard. Ok. I'm sure 28 other teams would like to have Shard also, that doesn't mean they can come to an agreement with Seattle.

With the way things worked out, Seattle was able to clear a ton of cap space by moving both Allen & Rashard. What other options would have been more attractive?

Getting Marbury? Nope! Getting draft picks and David Lee? Um, Seattle already has a bevy of talented forwards. So, nope! Curry? Malik Rose? Q?

The answers is nope, nope and nope. There is nothing else out there that will be more attractive to Seattle than what they will be able to chase with the treasure chest of salary they cleared. Rather than taking back some other team's undesirable cast-offs, they can target the player(s) they desire.

What about Cleveland? Please! As it was already stated by Drunk, the Cavs only have Gooden & Hughes that could possibly be attractive in trade negotiations. Hughes has a giant contract (signed through 2010) and was coming off a disappointing, injury filled season. Gooden for Shard? "Shoot me in the eye first please", would be Seattle management's response.

All these speculative trade scenarios that are being reported by the media in NY, Clev, & anywhere else are no better than the ignorant trade scenarios that originate on this board.

Come to think of it, I really do believe that the Magic could trade Garrity straight up for Garnger right now. Don't you? If not, maybe you'll be convinced once some hack of a writer in Tuscaloosa, AL writes an article about it.