Sign in to follow this  
The Solution

Knicks' Thomas wanted Rashard Lewis, got Randolph

blah blah blah.....

maybe you are right, maybe you are wrong...we will nver know...Its done....you have to either be happy with the results, or be sad and mad about everything...

I choose to accept it and move on...

quote:
Originally posted by djmase20:

we need to start Howard and Foyle tonight. Rashard is going to have his hands full gaurding Randolph on the block.. in fact, I dont think he can do it. He will just pick up cheap fouls.

And what about Curry? I think he was wiping the floor with the Magic last year in a Shaq-like way.

We're up to fight 2 tanks tonight. I hope we don't get exposed.

I don't believe Cleveland and the Knicks had the pieces to make a deal but to say Houston did not is wrong.

They had three expirings in Sura, Bonzi Wells and Kirk Snyder to offer. Throw in Shane Battier who is a solid vet with a reasonable contract.

Leaving Houston with Yao, T-Mac and Lewis to make a championship run.

Better than losing Lewis for nothing.

Who said I was said or mad? It's called simple logic, and I choose to utilize it rather than be pandered to by the media.

I've definitely accepted the addition of Rashard to the roster. He's looked sensational so far. However, that doesn't diminish the fact that he is in fact overpaid, and his exhorbitant contract cannot be justified just because 2-3 other teams expressed interest.

Otis was hosed, plain and simple.

But then again, you're probably one of those guys that would rather go to a car dealership and pay full sticker price rather than speak up and tell the dealership how you feel about their attempt to rip you off.

How's that for blah, blah, blah?

Jeez. You guys act like I'm the leader of the pessimism posse just because I'm not happy about being a fan of an organization that has botched more deals than Donald Trump.

Let me ask you this. What gleaming qualifications did Otis have prior to being hired that made him such a viable candidate for the GM position? Was it how perfectly he helped run the Golden State Warriors into the ground as their assistant GM? Maybe it was how well he ran the Orlando Magic Youth Basketball Leagues. What was it? Because so far, IMO, he's 50/50 at best with the deals he's made while manning his current position of GM. A position he was hired for without a single successful reference, other than his involvement in the league as a role player.

**Gong Crashes**

I heard you mention my name Alan Hahn and Bhnole!

It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong, and I am that big man. You see, I thought I needed 5 pg's. It turns out I only needed 4!

You will all see first hand tonight just how awesome our team is! Our frontline will devour your team!

You all mentioned that I didn't have the pieces to make a trade for Rashard happen. HAHA! I laugh at you small minded individuals! The other day Dolan and I were discussing just how stacked we are while we played a rousing round of smack our secretary's on their sweet little fannies. Look at our roster! It's a thing of beauty, if you judge it on nothing else other than metric tonnage Curry and Randolph make us very scary.

All I need to do is complete 1 more trade and my plan for league domination is complete! You send me Jareth Cutestory's beard, the Orena Chicken Tender Basket (w/fots), Adonal Foyle's recipe for chocolate salty balls, and the talented young lady in Hutchence's avatar. In return I will send you a video collection including "Randolph Morris's Adventures Through The Windsheild Glass, Stephon Marbury's "Interns Gone Wild," and "Eddy Curry's 101 Ways To Prepare A Tub Of Crisco."

What do you Magic fan's think?

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

I don't believe Cleveland and the Knicks had the pieces to make a deal but to say Houston did not is wrong.

They had three expirings in Sura, Bonzi Wells and Kirk Snyder to offer. Throw in Shane Battier who is a solid vet with a reasonable contract.

Leaving Houston with Yao, T-Mac and Lewis to make a championship run.

Better than losing Lewis for nothing.

Once again. Nothing more than conjecture. You don't know if Houston was even willing to offer that or if Seattle would have accepted it.

Those three contracts expire at the end of this year. Therefore, Seattle would have paid their salaries for this current season. 10 million for Sura, Wells and Snyder? Seriously? We have 12-14 million in expiring contracts they weren't interested in. You think Houston was willig to give up Battier? You think Battier would have been the deal breaker? No way.

Plain and simple, you can toss out names left and right. You can talk about the expiring contracts of whoever you'd like from all the other 29 NBA teams, but what it boils down to is that Seattle didn't find anything more attractive out there than the 2nd round pick we gave them in combination with Shard's contract coming off their books.

Do you think Seattle actually had deals on the table from the KNicks, Cavs, Rockets that they felt were more attractive, but caved in to the desires of Shard and his agent? That stuff doesn't happen. Otis got worked.

Have I told you I love Tim Duncan. He's a nice kid that earns millions of dollars in a winning team... he happened to sign something recently hmmmmm....

Lol, really when I read the news about Duncan resigning for less just to give his team a better chance to keep winning (not that it matters that much, he's a multimillionaire anyway), I thought about Rashard and the Magic.

Time will tell, but I think it will go down to whether the team can become a championship contender/winner with the cap scape it has, or if the team cannot become a championship team because it was crippled by a greedy player and his smart agent.

Anyway, Rashard is and will always be overpaid, but it won't matter that much if the team gets to the level it wants.

quote:
Do you think Seattle actually had deals on the table from the KNicks, Cavs, Rockets that they felt were more attractive, but caved in to the desires of Shard and his agent? That stuff doesn't happen. Otis got worked.

Hey Smack.. correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure you will ;-) ) but... Wasn't Shard a free agent? It wouldn't matter what anyone else was offering Seattle, he was free to go where he wanted regardless. Seattle was, in fact, 'forced' into a sign an trade with Orlando.

Basically they got a second round pick and in return we received the ability to give Shard even MORE money. In effect, we made sure that the only factor he had to consider at that point was where he wanted to play. If we were paying him the absolute max, the only thing any other team could do was to offer him the same.

Now, Seattle could attempt to persuade Shard to go somewhere else to help Seattle, if another team was offering a better deal in a sign and trade scenario, but in all actuallity, the decision was not theirs to make.

While I agree that we did overpay of Shard, also consider this... if we offered something more in line with his worth, and someone like Houston or the Nicks ended up obtaining his services, we would all be complaining about the tight purse strings of the Magic and how we won't win if we aren't willing to pay.

Personally, I think we would have been OK with offering him the max we could offer minus the sign and trade (I don't remember the numbers but basically his current contract minus the final year), but we will never really know. Otis decided to err on the side of caution, and in light of our recent results, it's hard for me to fault him.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

But then again, you're probably one of those guys that would rather go to a car dealership and pay full sticker price rather than speak up and tell the dealership how you feel about their attempt to rip you off.

How's that for blah, blah, blah?

Jeez. You guys act like I'm the leader of the pessimism posse just because I'm not happy about being a fan of an organization that has botched more deals than Donald Trump.

You don't know me....I am probably the farthest from that. I fight for everything. I love buying a car and the dealerships fear me....I am just using your example because I find it funny....Last new car I purchase, I got them to frop the price almost $6,000..Why because I won't just go in and sign a deal that won't benefit me...

You do seem to critize and have a problem with everything the team does, or anyone that says something positive about any player. You like to bring out the negative in everything....

and that's perfectly fine....thats who you are. You thrive on it...

I just rather be happy with what we have and let things that I cannot control or change just be. I don't worry about it, I don't lose sleep thinking about it, I don't have it in my head 24/7, because I can't change it.

I am not saying you do, I am just saying I don't....

Otis is 50/50, or maybe 60/40 on the positive side. He has made quite a few bad moves, but then again, he has maid some very good ones. Looking at the team he inherited with francis being our franchise player, to what we have know, all I can say to the man is Thank You!!!...

it could be better, but its definately better than Francis, Cato, etc....

it just seems like none of the anti max deal members want to accept the fact that there where other teams interested...That there was a very real chance of coming out of the FA period with nothing....and not having Darko and GHill either...talk about scary....

The fact is neither you or I know whether one of these teams could have worked a deal or not.

Considering the Magic had one shot at getting a premier FA this summer, next summer the cap room would be gone after re-signing Dwight, Jameer and Ariza. Is that a risk you were willing to take?

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Seattle would not have been able to make the decision. If Rashard and his agent wanted Orlando that was the only place they could go without any help from the team. This whole thing is hypothetical because we don't know what happened.

I'm sure we could have signed him for less but it would have been a gamble. I know there are a ton of if's on this but if we say, we aren't paying that much and NY or Clev comes up with some way to do it, we are screwed. We can say we could have had Gerald but do we know that for sure? He was saying he wanted to stay in Cha, he was a restricted FA, they could have matched.

I'm looking at it like this, if we don't get a scorer in the offseason does Dwight resign? What if Grant doesn't come back(even if he does what kind of shape are we in)? What if Darko still wants 10 mill and we don't resign him? I don't think we could afford to take the risk. Smack you used the analogy of paying sticker price at the car lot. If your life depended on getting that one car and there are 3 people standing around it and you can't be 100% certain that they won't grab it are you going to walk away from the bargaining table? I only gamble what I can afford to lose and I don't think we could afford to possibly lose a scorer.