Sign in to follow this  
Courtskils

Summer Time almost Here

The Magic have this summer and this summer only to make the team significantly better.

Investing 8+ million into Darko is a serious risk because it limits your flexibility over the next 6 years. Once the Magic sign a free agent this summer (and likely extend Howard/Nelson) cap room will be tied up like it was with Hill/T-Mac.

The Magic however, are in a perfect situation to make a move. The have several advantages they are one of a handful of teams with cap room and they have Darko Milicec on their roster.

Darko at 21 has proven he really does have tremendous potential and that can play towards the Magic's advantage.

Is your team rebuilding would you like a 7'1 player who hustles, plays defense, and has a nice shooting touch?

The Magic can get good this summer, really good.

If Darko is looking to get paid, the Magic may be his friend not enemy. With a sign and trade deal, the Magic can ship him anywhere. The Magic in addition would need to include Hedo Turkoglu or Carlos Arroyo for cap purposes. If need be the Magic could throw in a second round pick. In return the Magic need an all-star.

Players available include Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Pau Gasol, Lamar Odum, Al Harrington, Mike Bibby, Jason Kidd and a few others.

If the Magic can pull off this deal, the would need to try and sign Vince Carter, Chauncy Billups, or Rashard Lewis.

This solely depends on how Darko is regarded among execs, my guess is pretty high. He is only 21 and has shown ability to both score and play defense. He would instantly be a top 6/7 center in the league at age 21. Turkoglu would be an addition to help the scoring void lost by loosing a top player.

After this trade (with exception to Kidd) the Magic would have 10-15 mil to chase a Free agent.

Food for thought, if you want to be a contender now, don't resign Darko. If you want to be mediocre for the next 3-4 years sign Darko and hope he and Howard mix, but thats and if and a big IF.

I think if the Magic would land players like this Grant Hill would resign for a bench role.

The Magic would be really deep. Let's say Billups and a pipe dream in Gasol.

Billups, Nelson

Redick, Dooling, Bogans

Ariza, Hill

Gasol, Battie

Howard

Sign mediocre free agents like Croshere, Van Horn (if he decides to play), players like that who can shoot and play the 4.

Instant contender in the East.

It's time to win not wait.

The Magic have this summer and this summer only to make the team significantly better.

Investing 8+ million into Darko is a serious risk because it limits your flexibility over the next 6 years. Once the Magic sign a free agent this summer (and likely extend Howard/Nelson) cap room will be tied up like it was with Hill/T-Mac.

The Magic however, are in a perfect situation to make a move. The have several advantages they are one of a handful of teams with cap room and they have Darko Milicec on their roster.

Darko at 21 has proven he really does have tremendous potential and that can play towards the Magic's advantage.

Is your team rebuilding would you like a 7'1 player who hustles, plays defense, and has a nice shooting touch?

The Magic can get good this summer, really good.

If Darko is looking to get paid, the Magic may be his friend not enemy. With a sign and trade deal, the Magic can ship him anywhere. The Magic in addition would need to include Hedo Turkoglu or Carlos Arroyo for cap purposes. If need be the Magic could throw in a second round pick. In return the Magic need an all-star.

Players available include Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Pau Gasol, Lamar Odum, Al Harrington, Mike Bibby, Jason Kidd and a few others.

If the Magic can pull off this deal, the would need to try and sign Vince Carter, Chauncy Billups, or Rashard Lewis.

This solely depends on how Darko is regarded among execs, my guess is pretty high. He is only 21 and has shown ability to both score and play defense. He would instantly be a top 6/7 center in the league at age 21. Turkoglu would be an addition to help the scoring void lost by loosing a top player.

After this trade (with exception to Kidd) the Magic would have 10-15 mil to chase a Free agent.

Food for thought, if you want to be a contender now, don't resign Darko. If you want to be mediocre for the next 3-4 years sign Darko and hope he and Howard mix, but thats and if and a big IF.

I think if the Magic would land players like this Grant Hill would resign for a bench role.

The Magic would be really deep. Let's say Billups and a pipe dream in Gasol.

Billups, Nelson

Redick, Dooling, Bogans

Ariza, Hill

Gasol, Battie

Howard

Sign mediocre free agents like Croshere, Van Horn (if he decides to play), players like that who can shoot and play the 4.

It's time to win not wait.

I'd hate to burst your bubble, but if the Magic did get rid of Darko, and signed lets say Billups, VC, or any other all-star, then we wouldn't have a legit PF/C. And we are already struggling with that position.

quote:
Originally posted by Courtskils:

...The Magic can get good this summer, really good. The Magic would be really deep. Billups, Nelson

Redick, Dooling, Bogans

Ariza, Hill

Gasol, Battie

Howard

Even with B Hill? No way, man. IMHO, a new coach is a must (Lambier or McMillan would be great!), and second, retain today's roster. Then, and only then would your last statement be correct.

This year is the Magic's year to become a contender.

If Darko is resigned and retained do you what are the chances the Magic would be a title contender with all long-term money tied into Nelson, Ariza, Milicec, and Howard? would ever be a title team? Look at teams like Chicago and Toronto almost as young and much better today.

The Magic will have to compete with them for the next 5-10 years. If they're better and just as young today, then how do Dwight, Darko, Ariza, Nelson, etc. become that much better than them in the next 3 years.

I'm sick of hearing about potential. You play for today and keep the future in mind. Potential keeps you in the doghouse, and not winning.

Here is the reality of the Magic's young core, TODAY.

Trevor Ariza is only a hustle player.

Darko Milicec is inconsistent.

Jameer Nelson makes poor decisions.

Dwight Howard can't shoot or recognize double teams.

So by resigning Darko and extending Nelson, you are putting all your chips in one basket. Not a good recipe, especially when teams almost as young in Chicago and Toronto are that much better than the Magic TODAY.

So again, this summer is the Magic's summer to make a championship contender.

Even if the Magic add a all-star such as Vince Carter or Chauncy Billups, is that enough to make you a title contender over the next 3-4 years?

The scenerio I have outlined is the formula many teams use. Develop a good young nucleus while rotating contracts and making smart trades for good veteren players. When the core develops, the vets contracts start to expire or are traded for new vets (usually with teams looking for expiring contracts for aging vets). Teams like New York have failed miserably, teams like Dallas, and to an extent Miami have done great.

I think the Magic should adopt this formula and start now. The Magic can instantly become a contender.

Darko is the key to make all this happen.

The Magic like everyone are trying to judge Darko's value. The Magic's advantage is that less than a handful of teams can throw more than the MLE at him, so the Magic would likely pay less this off-season than others.

If their is one team that wants to bank on Darko's potential and have an asset the Magic could use now, the Magic should trade.

I look at teams looking to rebuild, get young, play a certain style, etc. that might want Darko.

For example Golden State decides Al Harrington is not part of a winning formula. Darko would give Nelson a center willing to run and Harrington would give Orlando another weapon. Include a second round pick and maybe it's a deal.

Harrington makes 8 mil, that would give the Magic plenty of cap space to go after, Carter Billips, etc.

The Magic then go after another serviceable big man to add depth as there are great vets coming available this summer. Mutombo, Webber, McDyess, Joe Smith all would be great fits.

You then have assets Hedo Turkoglu and Carlos Arroyo available for trade to add depth (a swap in PG's would be nice).

Your new Magic team could look like:

Nelson, Dooling, new PG

Carter, Redick, Dooling

Ariza, Hill, Turkoglu (if not trade)

Harrington, McDyess

Howard Battie

This team is ready to compete for the title now.

I'm not saying this team is the exact best case scenerio but my point is you can use Darko as trade bait rather than resigning him. The Magic can get into title contention at the beginning of next season, who in their right mind would wait?

Darko is the #1 tradeable asset.

Do you think Darko and a #2 is worth someone like Al Harrington? That would definately leave the Magic with Cap Room to sign Carter.

Think about the play

quote:
Originally posted by Courtskils:

The Magic will have to compete with them for the next 5-10 years. If they're better and just as young today, then how do Dwight, Darko, Ariza, Nelson, etc. become that much better than them in the next 3 years.

Nelson likely won't get extended this year, Trevor's contract is up in two years, and I doubt anyone will sign Darko for anything more than 3 years. So I'm not sure what your point is. Which essentially means that in 2009, we'll be deciding whether to move forward or blow the team up.

But in reality, it's highly likely that Darko will be playing for the Magic next year for between 8 and 9 million, we'll have seriously tried to sign a play-making 2(Carter, Wallace, whoever), and extended Dwight.

And also, you didn't address why any of those teams would want to make this trade. Why would the Grizzlies give up Pau for Darko? Why would the Lakers give up Odom when they already have a good, young big man. New Jersey wouldn't give up VC, unless we gave them Trevor and Darko, so what makes you think they'd give us Kidd for just Darko? How could we get Pierce when his team has a good shot at Oden in the draft?

I think this league says that an inconsistent big man will do a lot more for your team than an aging guard.

...Especially when that big man is just 21 and likely to keep improving. Especially when he's averaging close to two blocks a game when he's rolling and god knows how many alterations of the opposition's shot.

No, I wouldn't quite be ready to let go of Darko just yet. Besides, this article makes me want to keep him around:

Darko Article

He tends to say the right things and that's a good sign of things to come. ...in my humble opinion, of course.

Courtskills, I like your logic ... for all parties involved. I think Darko should be traded for his sake and our team's sake.

Harrington would be great next to Dwight.

Fendi, you keep saying we aren't going to let Darko go no matter what. What are you basing that on? Comments Otis made months ago? Inside info?

Let me add this comment: If we get a new coach who has a different gameplan, say the assistant from Phoenix, I'm all for keeping Darko. But I'm not for keeping Darko at 8-9 million/year to be a back-up or play as Dwight's clone.

Hypothetical Replies:

Otis says, "I like the way you think. Keep supporting the Magic."

Brian says, " You're a rockstar. I would love to have more veterans rather than these useless prospects that haven't earned their playing time with this team."

Stuff says, "__________."

Bianchi says, "Hey, that was my idea. I'm the brilliant genius that came up with that scenario."

Schmitz says, "There's no way in hell we're going to be able to pull off anything more than signing a vet to the MLE. Anything else is unrealistic."

SmackDaddy says, " Not bad. If the planets all aligned and we were able to sign a max player while dealing an unproven, inconsistent player like Darko for a pseudo all-star...why not."

Court, big ups to the amount of thought and effort you put into this thread. However, I disagree with you in some things.

It seems you are making a lot of your suggestions based on the fact that Darko doesn't live up to expectations. That's a fair assessment, but that's only one side of things. WHAT IF Darko becomes everything we expect him to be? A good PF, who can handle the ball (showed signs in Chicago), shoot well (known to have a 3 pt shot), make good, SMART passes, rebound, and BLOCK. Not to mention, he has a good attitude and great chemistry with our existing team. We would be trading all of that for a bunch of guards who are, still great players, but also on the down side of their careers. I wan to win more than anything, not at the expense of our future. And, WHAT IF we get a new coach who knows how to get Darko to maximize his potential? Then everything changes.

Let me ask you this, would you rather win now like Miami? or Win for the next decade like San Antonio has been doing; which just last night won its 50th game of the season for the 9th str8 year. Otis has said he's following the blueprint of building a team like San Antonio and Detroit and I think we are headed in the right path. All we need is some consistentcy, big 2 gaurd, and LEADER (coach) to lead our young guys.